Thai workers' rights abused on Israel farms: HRW

webfact

Thai workers' rights abused on Israel farms: HRW

AFP

JERUSALEM: -- Thai labourers employed on Israeli farms suffer from low pay, dangerous working conditions and very long hours, Human Rights Watch said in a report published on Wednesday.

According to the 48-page report entitled: "A Raw Deal: Abuses of Thai Workers in Israel’s Agricultural Sector," the 25,000 Thais employed in the Jewish state are working in conditions which contravene Israeli law.

Workers must tolerate "low pay, excessive working hours, hazardous working conditions and poor housing," it said.

"The success of Israel’s agricultural industry depends to a large extent on the labour of Thai migrant workers, but Israel is doing far too little to uphold their rights and protect them from exploitation," the New York-based organisation said.

"Israeli authorities need to be much more active in enforcing the law on working hours and conditions, and in clamping down on employers who abuse workers' rights."

The report's authors interviewed 173 Thai workers in 10 separate farming communities across Israel.

"All said that they were paid less than the legal minimum wage, forced to work far more hours than the legal limit, exposed to unsafe working conditions, and had difficulties if they tried to change employers."

In nine of the communities, the workers were housed in "makeshift and inadequate" accommodation, it said.

The Israeli economy ministry, which is responsible for trade and industry, had no immediate comment on the report.

But The Workers Hotline, an Israeli NGO, said the report supported its own findings.

"The Israeli agricultural sector is a greenhouse for violations of migrant workers' labour and human rights," it said in a statement.

"Lack of enforcement has become a key component in the horrendous situation of migrant workers in this field, as reflected in the (HRW) report."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-21

Well, worldwide that's the case with most migrant farm workers. Are Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians working in Thai agricultural fields treated better or worse than the Thais working in Israel? And, is the mistreatment illegal in Israel, but legal in Thailand?

Read the heading and the post - this is about Thais in Israel

• Like 1

It is time for the Thai Government to make all farm workers return to Thailand and not permitted any other to work in Israel

These poor Thai workers can always work on Thai fishing boats and get more money and be treated better.

We all know working on fishing boat pays better

Also Israel should be sued in New York and Tel Aviv at once

Edited by harryfrompattaya

try coming to Thailand and working on a fishing boat or a host of other slave labor jobs you will get here. If they don't like it then come back home. It is not like the Israeli's are holding your passports so you can't leave (like the Thai's do to their slave laborers).

• Like 2

Thai labourers employed on Israeli farms suffer from low pay, dangerous working conditions and very long hours, Human Rights Watch said in a report published on Wednesday.

So being treated equally as they would in their own country and a damn sight better than Thais treat their migrant workers ... yes the shoe on the other foot is not nice.

We of Thia Visa should raise money to bring these poorly paid slaves home to Thailand

Why do these poor say their if it so bad? ( maybe not bad at all)

How come the Thailand Army doesn't forbid Israel from during this?

I do not understand

Let bring them home at once

I want to help at once please tell me how?

Edited by harryfrompattaya

It is time for the Thai Government to make all farm workers return to Thailand and not permitted any other to work in Israel

These poor Thai workers can always work on Thai fishing boats and get more money and be treated better.

We all know working on fishing boat pays better

Also Israel should be sued in New York and Tel Aviv at once

No, for once I will side with Israel on this one.

If I am going to make comments about what is wrong then I must be prepared to make comments about what is right also.

This is a domestic law policy within Israel and is best left to them to rectify the same as in any other country.

We of Thia Visa should raise money to bring these poorly paid slaves home to Thailand

I do not understand

Just a moment.

Give me a moment to get my bank account details for you and you can deposit some money for them.

You can get everyone that you know to deposit as well.

Don't worry I am a good guy who will take care of the money for you.

• Like 1

I do not understand

Become a Thai citizen first, perhaps? rolleyes.gif

I do not understand

Become a Thai citizen first, perhaps? rolleyes.gif

What does being a Thai Citizen mean when I want to help the poor farm workers in Israel?

I thought anyone can help his fellow human being

Are you against the poor Thais and deo not want me to help them.

I am a citizen of the world when it comes to helping the poor.

I can see you only want to eat in expensive resturants

Well, they are not "slaves" and what makes you think most of them even WANT to leave Israel? Of course if they do, I would hope they can do so ... there is nothing in the article indicating they are being stopped from that if they want. There is a Thai embassy in Israel ... surely they can be contacted in extreme cases if needed to escape slavery. whistling.gif

BTW, if you just want to give your money to poor exploited Thai workers living crappy lives of poverty, look around you in Thailand ... no need to go to Israel for that.

Edited by Jingthing

Blimey, what's the fuss about? When I first went to Israel in the early 70's we got paid $50 a month plus board and worked horrendous hours! Didn't complain though, we just got stuck in and made the most of it - which in my case meant getting married to a local! I always had the option to go home if I wanted and I guess these Thais have the same option?

If an immigrant does not like the working conditions of another or host country then stay the f home. No one is holding a gun to their heads, forcing them to go elsewhere and forcing them to work for crap wages in bad conditions. Free market dictates employee worth to some degree. Why does someone with no education, very little skills and poor communication skills go to a different country and expect any different?

Perhaps this is even better than what they get in their own country.

• Like 1

The Thai workers, had to agree and sign a contract before going. So they know how much they are getting and how many hours to be worked., if not then they should go to the embassy in Tel Aviv.

And as far as housing and working conditions, that is another story.

Minimum wage in Israel is 40k Baht per month,,,,,,which is alot for them.

If an immigrant does not like the working conditions of another or host country then stay the f home. No one is holding a gun to their heads, forcing them to go elsewhere and forcing them to work for crap wages in bad conditions. Free market dictates employee worth to some degree. Why does someone with no education, very little skills and poor communication skills go to a different country and expect any different?

Perhaps this is even better than what they get in their own country.

Most countries there, keep their passports locked up, which is illegal.

I was working in UAE, and they tried the same crap, I said this is the property Myself. If you don't give it back to me I will call the USA Embassy. They then gave it to me.

Why they keep it is that, workers from the Philippines, about 15 years ago, 25 decided to jump on a plane back home and left the hotel short of staff.

Another, is alot of workers lost their passports, when their contracts ended, thus creating alot of wasted time and work for the HR office.