Changing Visa status whilst in country?

The Wife has a friend (Filipino national, British husband)who will be entering the country in February to visit family on a family visit visa, it is her intention whilst here to seek employment opportunities.

Now obviously she cannot work on a visitor visa and she would need to change her visa status, it is my understanding that she cannot do this in country & would need to go home to do this.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Correct; a visit visa cannot be converted to settlement inside the UK.

She will have to return home and apply for settlement there.

You are right that employment is prohibited whilst in the UK as a visitor; but I'm not sure how job seeking would be viewed!

Best not to mention that in her application or to immigration when she arrives.

Remember that if she does obtain the promise of a job on her return to the UK that any potential income she may receive once in the UK cannot be used toward the financial requirement for settlement.

Depends where she is applying; I assume Manila as she is a Philippine national; although she can apply in Bangkok if she is legally resident in Thailand.

Current processing times for Manila show that 98% of settlement decisions made in Dec 2014 were processed within 60 days.

Remember that's working days.

When she applies will have an effect as well; apply at a busy time and it will take longer than applying at a quiet one.

• Like 1