Thai PM deflects concern over mass surveillance bill

webfact

Thai Junta Leader Deflects Concern Over Mass Surveillance Bill
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Thai junta leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has asserted his authority to pass a mass surveillance bill that would allow officials to inspect any form of communication without a requesting a court warrant.

When a reporter from Isra News asked the junta chairman to comment on the draft of the controversial Cyber Security Act, Gen. Prayuth responded that Thai people should learn about "rules" instead of focusing only on the "restriction of their rights."

"Today, have I ever restricted anyone's rights? Have I ever done that?" asked Gen. Prayuth, who imposed martial law after leading a military coup on 22 May 2014, and has banned any political protests or public criticism of his regime.

The reporter pressed Gen. Prayuth to justify the sweeping nature of the bill, prompting Gen. Prayuth to lose his temper and shout, "I don't have to answer why! I will pass it. You have a problem with that? Otherwise, why the hell am I the Prime Minister? Why am I the Prime Minister?"

Gen. Prayuth then walked away from the reporters and said angrily, "I'm in a very bad mood."

If passed, the Cyber Security Act, a draft of which is available on the Thai Cabinet’s website, would grant officials authority to "access any channel of information and communication, including mails, telegrams, telephones, fax, computer, or any other type of electronic and telecommunication equipment" in order to safeguard the "cyber security" of the state.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421841564&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-22

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its all getting a bit scary now

Please do not fret, my friend. Costas, rubl & djjamie will be along shortly to explain why these measures are to be applauded and how the west is far worse.

and more or less telling the Journalist to <deleted> off was a "Reasonable response " to such an impertinent question

• Like 2

Safeguarding cyber security is a very poor euphemism for more power.

If the PM hasn't restricted rights why is this forum so careful about the material posters send in ? Isn't it to be on the right side of martial law and official dictates and actions.

Is he denying Attitude Adjustment or military re-education units in rural villages or is this all happening without his knowledge ?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its all getting a bit scary now

Please do not fret, my friend. Costas, rubl & djjamie will be along shortly to explain why these measures are to be applauded and how the west is far worse.

and more or less telling the Journalist to <deleted> off was a "Reasonable response " to such an impertinent question

He was trying to bait the journalist as the media know if they openly question his authority or decisions they have broken the law.

• Like 1

No violation of privacy: PM
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30252415-01_big.jpg

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday denied that the Digital Economy bills would violate people's privacy.

"No, I am not going to look into your secrets. I am not going to pore over your personal affairs," he said, adding that the bill would only allow authorities to crackdown on illegal activities in cyber space.

"If anybody violates the law, we will have to intervene," he said.

He added that if these bills were put into effect, they would provide the authorities better means to stem wrongdoings, such as those related to lese majeste violations.

He also explained that the bill would be adjusted and improved during the legislative process.

There has been an uproar over the bills, with critics seeing them as a threat to privacy and freedom of expression.

"Why don't you talk about the good things in the bills, too?" the prime minister said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-violation-of-privacy-PM-30252415.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-22

Many officials in this part of the world give dismissive and smart arsed answers to the Press. Police chief and Army chief of Malaysia being 2. During the MH370 press conferences they tried to do the same and got hammered by the western media, I mean just standing there with their mouth open.

I'd like to see this fella up against the free press

• Like 2

We will of course be given unrestricted access to all of the current administrations electronic communications to show the classic form of ''leading by example''. no doubt?