That's the way they drive here !

xtof2

Am currently in Sri Racha with my wife and daughter on holidays and am going to Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks. Was considering driving up but this morning decided to fly instead. After watching that video I am no longer having second thoughts.Was thinking of catching a bus back, but might have to rethink that too.

One can understand quite a lot about a society's or culture's mindset by observing they manner in which they drive.

maybe make dashcams standard equipment in all cars? Hours of entertainment for all the family...

Edited by bangon04

All part of the "Discover Thainess" campaign!

OP: You need to understand that the driver of the white Jazz was in a hurry - this is reason alone to justify his/her actions, given that the driver was Thai. If he/she was a wannabe HiSo Thai, then he/she deserves even more understanding and you should apologize in public for not understanding and for having absolutely no respect for Thainess!

Just kidding of course smile.png

Edited by catweazle

Just think how empty the roads would be if they required every "licensed" driver here to be retested and had a mandatory 100k fine and 10 days in jail for driving without a new, real, drivers license.

Remember, here nobody cares about shit, anything.......Stuff will go on, folk will be wasted cos nobody in authority cares...............coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Must thank my GOD and lucky stars after each time i return home driving in the Thai Motorways.

Exactly. I just did two consecutive bkk to Pattaya and back for meetings and between the idiots on the road, trucks and the construction I have never been so tired from such a short journey

• Like 1

Just think how empty the roads would be if they required every "licensed" driver here to be retested and had a mandatory 100k fine and 10 days in jail for driving without a new, real, drivers license.

Remember, here nobody cares about shit, anything.......Stuff will go on, folk will be wasted cos nobody in authority cares...............coffee1.gif

because life is cheap in this part of the world...

but if the dam'n truck had been on its lane those crap wouldn't be necessary sometimes people are in a rush and if i have one of those trucks in front of me on the fast lane with 60 km/h i also get mad...

• Like 1

Its a terrible shame that the offending driver in the overtaking car was not killed.

As a result, he/she will now have another chance to kill some other innocent person.

lol Im having a hard time deciding if I Should like this or not?? Ah screw it :)

but if the dam'n truck had been on its lane those crap wouldn't be necessary sometimes people are in a rush and if i have one of those trucks in front of me on the fast lane with 60 km/h i also get mad...

It's because it seems nobody has the brains ti READ whats happening in front of them on the road, BUT, I have the same problem at Tesco check out too...sad.png

• Like 1

It's because it seems nobody has the brains ti READ whats happening in front of them on the road, BUT, I have the same problem at Tesco check out too...sad.png

It's not just the roads and Tesco checkouts... Also watch getting on and off elevators. That's a nightmare and fiasco, too. Riding the elevator packed in there like sweaty sardines is a real treat. Every available space filled with a sweaty body and more bad breath.

In the mind of the Thai driver he / she did nothing wrong as what they did is what they see other people doing all the time.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

In their minds the other drivers were in the way of what they were trying to do and therefore complicit in the scheme of things and a handy excuse as to why the accident happened.

Beside, the Truck / Van in front of them was going too slow ( In their minds they were not speeding or going too fast at all, rather everyone else is going too slow) and therefor they were obligated to pass them as soon as possible while everyone else is obligated to move out of their way and acknowledge what they are attempting to do and accommodate their dangerous driving maneuvers.

That is how they see it and would argue as so when having too explain what exactly happened.

Cheers

If you find yourself on a single-laner, go real steady and have your eyes out on stalks! The reason why most roads here are split by a 20m wide central reservation and that traffic lights only allow one lane to go at a time. Those pesky U-turns (great though they are when you need them smile.png) kill thousands.

Edited by daveAustin

After the initial shock of 'christ, no one died!', what surprises me, is the driver who recorded/posted this.

I can hear the radio playing, the squeal of tires as the jazz spins off the road, but the driver doesn't mutter anything. I'm sat at home and said 'jesus christ' out loud.

Were the sounds dubbed on afterwards to cover all the expletives?

Edited by sean in udon

For all we know it's a 11 year old girl behind the steering wheel with her dad proudly filming her from the back seat..

Parental Thainess

I saw that today at market. Dad driving motorcycle with full face helmet and jacket, long pants, gloves, and was actually wearing a whole pair of shoes! Mom on the back in flip-flops, shorts, T-shirt, holding two and a half year old daughter as she's standing up on the seat between mom and dad naked save for her diaper.

They whizzed through the parking lot at a high rate of speed, then dad gunned it and jumped out onto the highway and into traffic at a high rate of speed before the oncoming traffic could cut them off from doing so.

Everyone is assuming the driver is Thai.

Anyone actually see the driver?

Could have been an impatient geriatric Brit retiree for all we know.

Let's say the driver is Thai. Now what?

Now, let's say the driver is a decrepit old Brit. Now what?

Its unusual NOT to see some type of dangerous driving when I drive.

Recently there were some roadworks that had been going on for about 12 months where they were building a dual carriage concrete road. Needless to say very few signs. I was driving my truck on the new section which was still only one lane each way. Around the corner comes a motor bike in my lane driving directly at me (he is thinking he has 2 lanes). It took him a few seconds to realise I wasn't going anywhere and he had to duck very quickly into a line of traffic. I think every-time I drove that stretch of road I saw crazy dangerous happenings.