That's the way they drive here !

xtof2

Bet the guy on the bike had to change his undies when he got home. Turning right on a bike can be a truely death defying moment, that's for sure.

I checked the footage before the incident and there are no roads off to the left that I can see, so I don't necessarily believe he was trying to turn right. I sometimes see m'bike riders with a death wish riding in the center lane as that one was doing.

If I need to turn across the road, I'll wait on the side of the road for a gap in the traffic, unless it's in town and the traffic is going slowly. Never on a road with high speed traffic like that.

I'd say the car driver had to change underwear as well, given the consequences if they'd actually killed the bike rider or run into another vehicle.

I see insane stuff like that all the time on Thai roads, and once on a New Zealand road when a maniac tried to kill me. Nearly killed along with my wife when a maniac came around a blind corner on the Lampang to Uttaradit road in my lane at high speed.

This one was also in the Thai news today:

At 09s a motorcycle driving the wrong way and at 23s a schoolboy nearly run over.

http://youtu.be/Ty1QfPgGPGY

Blinked and missed the bike going the wrong way first time, but that's normal for Thai roads.

As for the boy, seems like he wasn't looking, till he was nearly run over. Not for nothing did he wai as he shuffled away to change his undies.

For all we know it's a 11 year old girl behind the steering wheel with her dad proudly filming her from the back seat..

Parental Thainess

I saw that today at market. Dad driving motorcycle with full face helmet and jacket, long pants, gloves, and was actually wearing a whole pair of shoes! Mom on the back in flip-flops, shorts, T-shirt, holding two and a half year old daughter as she's standing up on the seat between mom and dad naked save for her diaper.

They whizzed through the parking lot at a high rate of speed, then dad gunned it and jumped out onto the highway and into traffic at a high rate of speed before the oncoming traffic could cut them off from doing so.

I have one like that. Young woman with a new born baby driving a m'bike down a very badly surfaced road in my local town. She was holding the baby in one arm and steering one handed w00t.gif .

Another good one was a man and girl on a m'bike driving in the rain. In this case the DRIVER was holding an umbrella and steering one handed. Usually they have the sense to have the pillion holding the umbrella.

It's not like the roads are well surfaced, though even that wouldn't be an excuse.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

You Guys that actually live in Thailand and whine constantly about every aspect of the place, do you ever think you should have done better research before moving to a developing nation ?

Most of us don't live in Thailand for the good driving experience. Give us the same "attraction" back home and we'd happily never leave.

If you find yourself on a single-laner, go real steady and have your eyes out on stalks! The reason why most roads here are split by a 20m wide central reservation and that traffic lights only allow one lane to go at a time. Those pesky U-turns (great though they are when you need them smile.png) kill thousands.

Like you say, steady, try to cover all directions, and don't go too fast.

I drive carefully, very much so, but i´m beginning to feel I am pushing my luck after 5+ years with only one accident (that left me unharmed though). A week ago I had a fairly close call, made me scared as hell. Thai guy racing down a small soi as I was pulling out onto it, he came around the bend doing like 80 km/h or something not caring about other people who might want to use the soi for transport. How are you suppose to protect yourself against something like that, if you cant hear or see the idiot in time its kind of a roll of the dice, especially at night.

• Like 1

You Guys that actually live in Thailand and whine constantly about every aspect of the place, do you ever think you should have done better research before moving to a developing nation ?

Rediculous. This is tv, this happened in Th. If I was back home, and this happened there, would we have you chirping in to move to Thailand?

Maybe we live and whine about their driving because we care more about their people than the leaders themselves. This topic is about people lives and saving them regardless of where they live.

It never amazes me how there is always someone that comments,so lacking in fortitude, so happy with things when it is people who whine and actually have the courage to voice their opinion that things change. And when it change it is people like this that enjoy the fruits from the whining. I wonder what is the point of having freedom, especially speech when you are too lazy or afraid to exercise it!

Several posts removed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

In the mind of the Thai driver he / she did nothing wrong as what they did is what they see other people doing all the time.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

In their minds the other drivers were in the way of what they were trying to do and therefore complicit in the scheme of things and a handy excuse as to why the accident happened.

Beside, the Truck / Van in front of them was going too slow ( In their minds they were not speeding or going too fast at all, rather everyone else is going too slow) and therefor they were obligated to pass them as soon as possible while everyone else is obligated to move out of their way and acknowledge what they are attempting to do and accommodate their dangerous driving maneuvers.

That is how they see it and would argue as so when having too explain what exactly happened.

Cheers

How would he explain the illegal passing?

Another typical aerosol. had one coming at me like that once except i refused to move, he fishtailed down the road before rolling it over.

He could have wiped out at least 2-3 vehicles there, expect brakes failed, its normal, hey at least he gave 1 signal as he carved in front of the camera car.

After that I expect the stain removal company had a big job BUT............you know what???? tomorrow he/she will drive EXACTLY the same way GUARANTEED.......................THEY NEVER LEARN. and thats the scariest thing of all

Edited by kannot

yeah these folks using TV should know better and do more research before posting on TV about whiners eh, I mean why post here if they know its full of whiners?

Everyone is assuming the driver is Thai.

Anyone actually see the driver?

Could have been an impatient geriatric Brit retiree for all we know.

Everyone knows all foreigners are accomplished perfect drivers. Just observe the ones renting high powered motorbikes.

The school boy did not look that is clear,but think of the majority of motorbikes whizzing out of a side soi into traffic and never stopping to look what is coming,i have been to a fair few countries and i have never seen that elsewhere,my wife tells me 'car has to care motorsai',madness.

The school boy did not look that is clear,but think of the majority of motorbikes whizzing out of a side soi into traffic and never stopping to look what is coming,i have been to a fair few countries and i have never seen that elsewhere,my wife tells me 'car has to care motorsai',madness.

Not strictly true, lets just say "they think" the car has to take care.

Have had two motorcycles hit my car and Wifes car, insurance came and they lost on both occasions, I was driving, first motorcycle insisted the damage was already there on my car and he never hit us!!! 2n d just drove into the back of us, ie lack of attention (commonplace)

This is one of the major problems they are having the problem because they believe something which is contrary to their own driving laws. If that was true cars would not be coming up behind you within inches or tailgating to basically forcing you off the road instead of sharing. What your wife actually means is the motorbike is smaller thereafter it is Thai common sense to think you should be weary of them and to " take care " but this assumption is totally wrong and is one of the major reason so many motorbikes get into accidents. If one puts themselves in a situation for the accident to happen this is a good example it will happen.

In the mind of the Thai driver he / she did nothing wrong as what they did is what they see other people doing all the time.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

In their minds the other drivers were in the way of what they were trying to do and therefore complicit in the scheme of things and a handy excuse as to why the accident happened.

Beside, the Truck / Van in front of them was going too slow ( In their minds they were not speeding or going too fast at all, rather everyone else is going too slow) and therefor they were obligated to pass them as soon as possible while everyone else is obligated to move out of their way and acknowledge what they are attempting to do and accommodate their dangerous driving maneuvers.

That is how they see it and would argue as so when having too explain what exactly happened.

Cheers

I thought I was the only one who see it this way and I use this line a lot " Monkey see Monkey do " that saying goes a long way to describe so many things here.

Plus,,, even in Thailand their driving rules, from the YouTube video... this is a two lane highway for each direction... regardless of what the car was doing on the left or the truck on the right the center lane is mark with a SOLID YELLOW LINE which means WHAT? YOU CAN'T PASS!

And being Thailand if you need to pass even in this situation with the truck obstructing the driver view one should pull up to the slow moving truck on his right so the driver can see from his right mirror he is going too slow and should be on the left. If the driver does not move over at least the Honda driver would have a better view of what is approaching! Instead, the driver of the Honda, pull up behind the black vehicle and truck skirting or blocking both lanes and then swung into the oncoming traffic without even considering there might be oncoming traffic.

In Western and even Thailand,, this is consider reckless indifference manslaughter! But of course this is Thailand meaning just say sorry, go to temple and pay the victims some money for their troubles. The rich it means also they got in the way they should not have been there otherwise it wouldn't have happen.

Edited by thailand49

you can expect no better in the near future !!! the day the government says it will force people to abide by the rules, will be a good day --- there is only one thing i dislike about this country i love to live in and it is the total waste of life due to the crappy drivers and inefficient police regarding the road rules.

The worst driver that I have ever had the pleasure of sitting beside was an Canadian, I kid you not. My little buttocks squeezed tight more than a few times on the journey. I have also been a passenger with Thai drivers many times and this guy was by far the worst. Nice chap though, but will NEVER get in the car with him again.

The experiences of driving in Thailand remind me of an old joke.

A man's wife sets of to drive to work one morning.

The husband doesn't have to leave for another hour and is listening to the radio.

Suddenly there is a 'News flash' about a motorist driving the wrong way down the M25.

Good heavens he thinks, my wife drives down the M25 to work.

He immediately phones his wife to warn her of the danger.

"Dear, be extremely careful, an idiot is driving the wrong way down the motorway"

"An idiot" she replies "There's f****** hundreds of em"

Safe motoring wink.png

• Like 1

Below is an example of how some are so galactically dumb they are simply unable to project ahead and predict tragic consequences...

As I understand it, fortunately this little 18 month old infant survived his injuries... But what on earth were his parents thinking placing him alone in the flat bed of a pickup?

http://youtu.be/kEiQ-__UpPU

I just drove from Koh Lanta to Krabi - Driving down there took on new dangers as people overtook in the silliest of situations - blind corners, with oncoming lorries, oncoming bikes etc... ... I'm now back in Bangkok which while more aggressive / assertive with people not letting you out of a side soi etc, driving here does seem a lot safer...

Edited by richard_smith237

Below is an example of how some are so galactically dumb they are simply unable to project ahead and predict tragic consequences...

As I understand it, fortunately this little 18 month old infant survived his injuries... But what on earth were his parents thinking placing him alone in the flat bed of a pickup?

I just drove from Koh Lanta to Krabi - Driving down there took on new dangers as people overtook in the silliest of situations - blind corners, with oncoming lorries, oncoming bikes etc... ... I'm now back in Bangkok which while more aggressive / assertive with people not letting you out of a side soi etc, driving here does seem a lot safer...

A while back, on the way to Kanchanaburi, we were heading up the highway at full speed, and as we approached a tiny hut that was built at the very edge of the blacktop, an infant suddenly came crawling in his diaper out onto the road from the edge of some bushes. We were unable to see him until he was already on the road. The little one was in a hurry and moving forward rapidly. I suppose he was just being playful. My friend jerked the wheel to avoid splattering the child's head with his left front truck tire, and just as he did a man appeared reaching for the baby. With lightning speed, he caught him by the rib cage in both hands and yanked him back into the house. I am certain that if that man had not been there to grab that baby we would have killed him.

We'd had our excitement for the day and stopped quickly thereafter to empty our bowels and bladders and get refreshments before pressing on.

They weren't thinking. That's the problem.

Neither was the mother that I saw carrying her new baby on a m'bike and driving one handed.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

That truck should keep left.

Yesterday i saw a big truck like this brake hard and the truck behind it couldn't brake that fast and crashed into it. The crew in it were very lucky though because it was (over?)loaded with a huge pile of wood.

Mai pen lai, sabaai sabaai. Thailand doesn't need to learn how to drive safe, they are much smarter then all other nationality's. They even don't need proper lights on their vehicles and also can drive against traffic, sabaai sabaai.