Asteroid to Fly By Earth Safely on January 26

Tywais

Asteroid to Fly By Earth Safely on January 26

An asteroid, designated 2004 BL86, will safely pass about three times the distance of Earth to the moon on January 26. From its reflected brightness, astronomers estimate that the asteroid is about a third of a mile (0.5 kilometers) in size. The flyby of 2004 BL86 will be the closest by any known space rock this large until asteroid 1999 AN10 flies past Earth in 2027.

At the time of its closest approach on January 26, the asteroid will be approximately 745,000 miles (1.2 million kilometers) from Earth.

"Monday, January 26 will be the closest asteroid 2004 BL86 will get to Earth for at least the next 200 years," said Don Yeomans, who is retiring as manager of NASA's Near Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, after 16 years in the position. "And while it poses no threat to Earth for the foreseeable future, it's a relatively close approach by a relatively large asteroid, so it provides us a unique opportunity to observe and learn more."

One way NASA scientists plan to learn more about 2004 BL86 is to observe it with microwaves (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2006-00a ). NASA's Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, California, and the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico will attempt to acquire science data and radar-generated images of the asteroid during the days surrounding its closest approach to Earth.

"When we get our radar data back the day after the flyby, we will have the first detailed images," said radar astronomer Lance Benner of JPL, the principal investigator for the Goldstone radar observations of the asteroid. "At present, we know almost nothing about the asteroid, so there are bound to be surprises."

More here - jbl.nasa

Observers in North America, South America, Europe and Africa will have the best view of the asteroid flyby. Those in East Asia and Australia will have a chance to see the asteroid, but will require stronger equipment since the asteroid will be less bright while passing over these regions.

Timeanddate.com

How to find it - Earthsky.org

So wouldn't this asteroid be pulled in by Earths gravity?

Looking at the trajectory in terms of distance, it is actually only a whisker away by passing by.

Nope, don't work like that (law of motion), the earth ain't a black hole. It'll have/has had an affect on its path, but has likely been popping in and out of our nearfield for millions of years. Some asteroids even skip the top of the atmosphere and do an in & out.

Must admit, I do agree with Mosha somewhat. It would be useful if it could selectively take certain targets out though, starting with Mugabe's backyard, but while I don't want the animals getting hurt, people need to go for sure. whistling.gif

• Like 1

"At present, we know almost nothing about the asteroid, so there are bound to be surprises."

Here goes my day......Thank you Tywais.

Shall I start praying for my soul......in case there are surprises?

Or there is no cure for me?sad.png

Do not fear my little Greek mate.

Your soul is safe with us - we are as one

Let me assure you , amongst friends you are known as our soul Costas.

• Like 1

Thai telescopes to join Asteroid 2004 BL86's flyby observation tomorrow

BANGKOK, 25 January 2015 (NNT) - The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand has been asked by the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the International Asteroid Warning Network in East Asia to jointly observe the flyby of an asteroid codenamed 2004 BL86 from January 25 to 27.

According to astronomers, the asteroid is about 0.5 kilometre in size. It is expected to fly by at a point about 1.2 million kilometres from Earth on January 26.

Even though it will not approach the planet, the flyby is the closest by any known asteroid of this size until 2027 when asteroid 1999 AN10 goes past Earth. Such a close distance provides scientists a unique opportunity to learn more about the future possibility of such a potentially hazardous object to hit the planet.

There are several telescopes located in different parts of the world to observe the asteroid. At least four telescopes in Thailand will be used in this observation. Two of them are at the National Observatory on Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai, while the other two are at the provincial public observatories in Nakhon Ratchasima and Chachoengsao. Another telescope PROMPT-8 at Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory (CTIO) in Chile will also take part in the observation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-25 footer_n.gif