Teaching out of Boredom?

joeyg

Recently retired in June from my medical practice in the states. Practiced acupuncture there for 22 years. I taught quite a bit also over the past 20 years or so, Clinical Nutrition, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Evaluation, Herbal Pharmacology etc. Also provided Continuing Medical Education via seminars to Medical Doctors and other allied health care professionals internationaly.

Just rented a condo for 6 months in Samut Prakan and starting to get bored quickly. Was wondering where I might fit into the teaching scene here, if at all. I did have some connection with Mahidol University but that was over 16 years ago.

Appreciate any input. Thanx in advance...

Mahidol or Chula would be the best options for you if you like big city life. Another opportunity for you would be to enjoy Isaan life as it is in Khon Kaen.

Please see: http://www.kku.ac.th/academics/faculty.php?did=F013&l=en

Some information about the city: :http://www.khonkaen.com/ Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khon_Kaen_Province

People in the northeast are quite different to those in Bangkok. Give it a try and best of luck from lower northeast.-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Why did u decide to rent a condo in Samut Prakan ?

Far as i know its an depressing and boring location especially for a foreigner.

Samut Prakan is the most exciting new places to live. I met many Farangs .

The restaurants abound with Thai, French, and Utilitarian garbage as Russians cook!

They are building a Big C----------------------Thus a Tesco will be close by.

This is the new "Udon Thani"------fresh and fun!smile.png

Have you considered contacting a medical school and offering to mentor 2 or 3 students who are hoping to practise in an English speaking country? A better use of your skills and more interesting than run of the mill classroom stuff I'd have thought. Not sure how or if a work permit would need to fit into this though.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation...on retirement visa, but like to teach Math(s). Problems are: your visa says "Employment Prohibited," and you really wouldn't want to jeopardize that. I sure as heck don't want to work 45-50 hours per week; 15-20 would be plenty, however, you just don't see part timers getting WP.

• Like 1

If you're looking at teaching as nothing more than a distraction, I fear you'll quickly grow frustrated and fed up with it - especially here where the job bears little resemblance to teaching as we define the profession in the west. The only people who stay in teaching for any length of time are those who truly have their hearts in it. And even those will most likely grow bitter and spiteful after a few years. It's been only two years for me and I'm already starting to feel it.

• Like 1

If you're looking at teaching as nothing more than a distraction, I fear you'll quickly grow frustrated and fed up with it - especially here where the job bears little resemblance to teaching as we define the profession in the west. The only people who stay in teaching for any length of time are those who truly have their hearts in it. And even those will most likely grow bitter and spiteful after a few years. It's been only two years for me and I'm already starting to feel it.

I started teaching ten years ago and still enjoy it. Of course are many circumstances ridiculous, but positive thinking helps a lot.

And honestly speaking, I still love what I'm doing and really appreciate to see ex-students who became doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc..and almost all of them are happy when they see me.

Positive thinking is my own way to deal with so many circumstances that make some guys to bitter and grumpy people. I hope you'll find your own way to see all the way it really is.

And even writing a post on this forum to let your frustrations out, helps you a lot. Once you've reached that level to dislike what you're doing,, it's time for a change.

Life's too short.........wai2.gif

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation...on retirement visa, but like to teach Math(s). Problems are: your visa says "Employment Prohibited," and you really wouldn't want to jeopardize that. I sure as heck don't want to work 45-50 hours per week; 15-20 would be plenty, however, you just don't see part timers getting WP.

Why can't people just give an honest answer to an honest question? OP can easily get a work permit as a lecturer, only working eight hours a week.

Just changing his visa from Non-O to a Non-B isn't difficult.

I assume that there's a huge demand in tutoring and the OP can decide how many hours he'll teach.

It's pretty easy to receive a work permit, even for a part time job. I had a job offer at Chula as lecturer of the German language, but then decided to stay in Isaan.

When I started teaching, it was also out of boredom, not because I needed money. It's a nice way to make new friends and life becomes more enjoyable.

Others, who prefer to sit on a bar stool at Nana, or similar places,, already in the morning might have a different opinion.

If the job doesn't work out, changing back to O will be difficult.....and he may only get 7 days to leave the country, if/when his visa is cancelled. 17 teachers arrested in Chiang Mai this morning.....nothing was dishonest about my answer, been coming here since before you first had sex with your hand. WP isn't easy, especially with so many willing to work without one...for less $$$, of course.

Why can't people just give an honest answer to an honest question? OP can easily get a work permit as a lecturer, only working eight hours a week.

Just changing his visa from Non-O to a Non-B isn't difficult.

I assume that there's a huge demand in tutoring and the OP can decide how many hours he'll teach.

It's pretty easy to receive a work permit, even for a part time job. I had a job offer at Chula as lecturer of the German language, but then decided to stay in Isaan.

When I started teaching, it was also out of boredom, not because I needed money. It's a nice way to make new friends and life becomes more enjoyable.

Others, who prefer to sit on a bar stool at Nana, or similar places,, already in the morning might have a different opinion.

If the job doesn't work out, changing back to O will be difficult.....and he may only get 7 days to leave the country, if/when his visa is cancelled. 17 teachers arrested in Chiang Mai this morning.....nothing was dishonest about my answer, been coming here since before you first had sex with your hand. WP isn't easy, especially with so many willing to work without one...for less $$$, of course. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/459553/online-business-taught-english-to-students-in-china

I didn't write that you were dishonest,, excuse me, please. Well, let me think, it must have been about 42, or 44 years ago, when I had sex with my own hand. w00t.gif

You wrote something about 45 hours a week, then adding that 15-20 would be plenty. It's the way you look at things, that makes the difference.

I made a commitment by signing a contract where I'm setting up an EP for grade one kids in a very rural area. My teaching load is always increasing and I've got between 22 and 34 now per week.

My salary doesn't allow me to see my family back home, as there's nothing to save. Yes, I wrote plenty of bs posts nobody on this forum could understand, as a sort of a valve to let my frustrations out.

But in the end, I found ways to solve most problems. I changed many things that annoyed me and things that caused quite a lot of stress do create laughter now.

Smile when you want to cry and cry when you want to smile. Life's too short to "think too much." My loving family behind me makes me almost untouchable.

Who knows, I might have to jump in the box soon ,but am I worried about it? Nope. It';s really only the way you see things.

Sorry, when my post sounded annoying to you. Wasn't my intention at all. Have a lovely weekend.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great input. I am 62 but am generally taken 10 years younger. And aware age discrimination is alive and well here.

I chose Samut Prakan because I'm right around the corner from my buddy. He is from San Diego but has lived here onver 35 years. He's got children and grand children so I'm an instant uncle now which has been fun. Making the transition to Thailand a little easier too.

Found it very difficult to find a decent place at a decent price in North Pattaya at high season, which is my first choice. Also considering moving up to his wife's parents farm in Yasothon. They already have the beginning of a nice organic farm. I have spent about a month up there sleeping out on the deck under a mosquito net and loved it.

His wife tells me the pay isn't much but I could probably just walk in any school and get hired.

I was also certified as as Master Gardener before I left California. So expanding their project and doing some alternative/eco friendly construction is another option. My father and grand father were builders and I worked with the business for many years.

Can still build foundation to roof but not for long that's a young man's game for sure. I am a recovering workaholic, I'm doing much better though...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great input. I am 62 but am generally taken 10 years younger. And aware age discrimination is alive and well here.

I chose Samut Prakan because I'm right around the corner from my buddy. He is from San Diego but has lived here onver 35 years. He's got children and grand children so I'm an instant uncle now which has been fun. Making the transition to Thailand a little easier too.

Found it very difficult to find a decent place at a decent price in North Pattaya at high season, which is my first choice. Also considering moving up to his wife's parents farm in Yasothon. They already have the beginning of a nice organic farm. I have spent about a month up there sleeping out on the deck under a mosquito net and loved it.

His wife tells me the pay isn't much but I could probably just walk in any school and get hired.

I was also certified as as Master Gardener before I left California. So expanding their project and doing some alternative/eco friendly construction is another option. My father and grand father were builders and I worked with the business for many years.

Can still build foundation to roof but not for long that's a young man's game for sure. I am a recovering workaholic, I'm doing much better though...

Do whatever you need to do to live a happy life. I'm eight years younger, but fell like a 20 year old, but with skills a 20 year old will never have. giggle.gif

Your wife is right by telling you that you could get plenty of jobs. And believe me it's a lot of fun. Don't worry about the naysayers on this forum, it seems that there're too many grumpy old guys who can't even speak a word of Thai after living here for 20 years.

Then the "newbies", who might believe they can speak Thai after two weeks, but when they order a noodle soup, they finally receive a "flied lice".....biggrin.png

All the little "goodies" make life here much better than living somewhere in your country, or in Germany, where I was born.

I haven't been back for quite some years, but I don't really miss my country of birth. I have a loving and caring wife, our son turned 16 and I'm glad that I made the move to Thailand 13 years ago.

A chat on Skype with my family and some friends does the trick. I remember last time when I came back, I took "my Germany jacket off" at the airport in Bangkok and realized that I came back home. I could breathe again......

Just had my positive feedback from one of my grade one students, who's asking me if "the woman there" would be my mom.

I had to tell him that she's my 11 years younger wife and I felt 30 years younger.

The boy speaks a very good English, because he lived in the UK for four years. So no misunderstanding. Wish you the best, f....orget the rest.-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Do whatever you need to do to live a happy life. I'm eight years younger, but fell like a 20 year old, but with skills a 20 year old will never have. giggle.gif

Your wife is right by telling you that you could get plenty of jobs. And believe me it's a lot of fun. Don't worry about the naysayers on this forum, it seems that there're too many grumpy old guys who can't even speak a word of Thai after living here for 20 years.

Then the "newbies", who might believe they can speak Thai after two weeks, but when they order a noodle soup, they finally receive a "flied lice".....biggrin.png

All the little "goodies" make life here much better than living somewhere in your country, or in Germany, where I was born.

I haven't been back for quite some years, but I don't really miss my country of birth. I have a loving and caring wife, our son turned 16 and I'm glad that I made the move to Thailand 13 years ago.

A chat on Skype with my family and some friends does the trick. I remember last time when I came back, I took "my Germany jacket off" at the airport in Bangkok and realized that I came back home. I could breathe again......

Just had my positive feedback from one of my grade one students, who's asking me if "the woman there" would be my mom.

I had to tell him that she's my 11 years younger wife and I felt 30 years younger.

The boy speaks a very good English, because he lived in the UK for four years. So no misunderstanding. Wish you the best, f....orget the rest.-wai2.gif

Thanks for the upbeat message lostinissan. I loved teaching when I did and it was always good to have high 90's on evaluations. There was always that one that hated me, though we would laugh and wonder what class were they in. I would always look for the bad evaluation. I found them fascinating and entertaining.

And it was my buddies wife from Yasothon that said that the schools there would welcome someone with my back round and dis regard my age. Anyway I do have options. Thanks for the positive note.

I won't address teaching out of boredom but DO NOT LEAVE YOUR O VISA ON ANY TERMS, DO NOT (change) EXTEND O VISA ON BASIS OF EMPLOYMENT (in leiu of marriage). Do not!

You can work on your O visa, if they cant sort it out, work without one. If you don't want to do that, don't work ESPECIALLY because you do not need the money.

• Like 1

I won't address teaching out of boredom but DO NOT LEAVE YOUR O VISA ON ANY TERMS, DO NOT (change) EXTEND O VISA ON BASIS OF EMPLOYMENT (in leiu of marriage). Do not!

You can work on your O visa, if they cant sort it out, work without one. If you don't want to do that, don't work ESPECIALLY because you do not need the money.

OK sounds like interesting info especially that you put it in upper case. Give more details if you care too but thanks anyway.

OK sounds like interesting info especially that you put it in upper case. Give more details if you care too but thanks anyway.

Since around five years, foreigners are allowed to work on a Non-O visa, based on marriage to a Thai citizen. The retirement visa, also called Non-O, which "usually" does not allow you to work, sometimes also pointed out on your visa stamp, could be a problem.

The explanation why you shouldn't give up your current visa seems to be easy. If things don't go that well, you'll have to deal with the Immigration's regulations and apply for a new visa, because your Non-B visa becomes nil, from the day when your employment ends.

Edited by lostinisaan