Compulsory Car Insurance...Lost Driving License

HughJass

recently bought a cheap car, the sticker on the window says the car is taxed until July 2558/2015

didnt receive any document from the seller regarding insurance

am i correct in saying the car must have the compulsory insurance already due to the vehicle being taxed?

i only have the transfer fee receipt of 655 baht....do i need to get a copy of the insurance document or will the tax sticker be enough?

another question,while i was at the office i told them i had lost/misplaced my 5 year thai license

the license is still valid until 2018 and i have a photocopy to prove

they said in order to issue a new one i had to produce a photocopy of my passport and visa...no problem

but also a letter from my condo and a residence certificate costing 500 baht and a couple of trips to immigration

I pointed out that the license was still valid as stated on the photocopy and i was not requiring a new license just a copy of the old one

fell on deaf ears

when i go to insure and tax my motorcycle the govt office prints out the receipt for the insurance which i then use in the office next door to purchase the road tax

Yes, you are insured but need papers to know the company.........are you saying that the procedure is different for a car whereby you purchase compulsory insurance from an outside source?

Yes, original license is required, just copy is not enough...........the license has been lost my gripe is that they are reuiring documents that were provided when the license was issued...there cannot be justification to provide a residence certificate to get a copy of an already current license

• 2 weeks later...

I had my wallet stolen and went through the process for a replacement DL and guess what.. I left with a new drivers license only after doing the color blind test, reaction and depth perception.. lol

TiT

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

You only have a basic third party insurance when you get the new tax sticker.

If the car is older than 10 years it is not possible to get full comprehensive as we call it in the UK.

Wrong,you can buy ins. called 2nd class which covers most. Had my pick-u[ keyed and they paid for a re-spray