Thailand: New liquor sale restriction comes into force

webfact

"The new restriction on sale of alcoholic drinks has come into force throughout the country as of January 7."

So it started 16 days ago? Has anyone noticed yet?

Well, actually I have noticed it for close to 16 years or so.

Pretty close.

I moved to Thailand in March 2001 & it started a year or so after that.

I recall the Hoop-la in the BKK Post and/or The Nation about keeping teenagers from drinking on their way home from school.

The alcoholics aren't going to like this.

because they are too dumb to buy their booze during "times allowed?" huh.png

By 5pm they probably don't make it to the shop anymore on their own, and before 11am they're not alive yet.

Edited by Anthony5

As has been said many times on here these times are not law, just govt request. Or is somebody going to claim Villa are paying off the cops on this?

Interesting question.

You can get a jug at Foodland in Pattaya most any time you want one. They never changed even years ago.

7-11 two doors up or down the street won't sell it though during the witching hours.

As for the pundits of this "rule", I say 2 things:

1) - If a law is a law, then enforce it 100%, not somewhat, sometimes, maybe.

2) - Reality is for people who can't handle drugs. Some of us can. Leave us alone.

We don't hold you down and water-board you with Jack Daniels (that almost sounds fun!), so don't tell us when we can or cannot drink booze.

By 5pm they probably don't make it to the shop anymore on their own, and before 11am they're not alive yet.

Ever thought about the word "Convenience" in the term convenience store?

I wake up at 0530 for my trip to the beach near Trat.....The beach is isolated as hell. PRISTINE stuff. Thinking I'll probably enjoy a few beers in the afternoon so I pop into 7-11 to grab a few beers, Cokes, snacks, ice etc on my way to the beach with the wife & daughter.

"So solly suh, Cannot bia"

I work with my company in USA time, finish at 0100 hrs. Exhausted, ready for a beer. "So solly suh, Cannot bia".

The question is about freedom of choice, not your (nor anybody else's) skewed way of looking at other people's choices.

Why must people be "allowed" to do ANYTHING?

People should be "NOT ALLOWED", to kill, rape, steal, drive while drinking etc.

Yet if some blow-hard politician says something 1,000% STUPID, some folks will scream, "But it's the law!", and fall into lock-step with them, utterly failing to think, even one second, for themselves.

I daresay it's us boozers that think more clearly about freedom sometimes if not most of the time.

USA President Grant & British PM Churchill were well known boozers.

I saw a documentary once where they said Churchill didn't normally wake up until noon.

Then again, the masses are programmed to punch a 9 - 5 clock like zombies & think anyone who isn't like them are just wrong somehow.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

"The new restriction on sale of alcoholic drinks has come into force throughout the country as of January 7."

Really?

You noticed new restrictions the OP says were announced 16 days ago, 16 years ago?

Wow, your skills of reading the future are awesome?

You should market them.

Really?

You noticed new restrictions the OP says were announced 16 days ago, 16 years ago?

You should market them.

Why you don't tell us what has changed from those that became law under Thaksin's first reign.

Before you start, entertainment places were always include in the restriction hours, and international airports always excluded.

Over to argument seeker number one.

• Like 1

Really?

You should market them.

Why you don't tell us what has changed from those that became law under Thaksin's first reign.

Before you start, entertainment places were always include in the restriction hours, and international airports always excluded.

Did you read the OP? The one that said

"new restriction on sale of alcoholic drinks has come into force throughout the country as of January 7."

The one this story is about?
Read that did you?
I asked if anyone had noticed these new restrictions and you decided to make smart arse remarks on it.
I haven't noticed anything new, unlike you with your powers of prediction.
So tell me, how did you predict these 16 years ago?
Ones no one else seems to have noticed.
As for starting arguments, you might want to look in a mirror on that one.

Really?

You should market them.

"new restriction on sale of alcoholic drinks has come into force throughout the country as of January 7."

Read that did you?
I asked if anyone had noticed these new restrictions and you decided to make smart arse remarks on it.

So tell us, did ALL the restriction mentioned in the OP became law early 21st century or not?

Really?

You should market them.

Read that did you?

So tell us, did ALL the restriction mentioned in the OP became law early 21st century or not?

The point of my post was and still is, has anyone noticed the new restrictions that apparently came into force 16 days ago.

That is what i asked.

That was my point.

Has anyone noticed the new restrictions that were introduced, according to the OP, 16 days ago?

• Like 1

Why don't don't you <deleted> off Blues Puke, many posters are sick of your chip on the shoulder arguments for a long time.

What since October?

My but you are a fast study.

Ever calculate how many PM's one can receive in 3 months?

Nope.

Why would I want to?

Oh wait, I see lots of people PM you.

How nice for you.

Edited by Bluespunk

Here ya go .... some more details.

Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

Director-general of the office of the Alcohol Control Committee Mr Samarn Futrakun stated the core substance of the new regulation remains the same in that the permissible duration for daily alcohol sales to be capped at 10 hours.

Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

Violation of the law is subject six months imprisonment and/or a 10,000 Baht fine.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/restriction-liquor-sale-time-takes-effect-today

Some pretty significant changes - gone is the exclusion for in excess of 10 liters and entertainment venues are required to stop selling at midnight.

Appears restaurants will now be restricted in the afternoons too. Definitely not good news for many business owners and tourists.

Edited by expat_4_life

Why don't don't you <deleted> off Blues Puke, many posters are sick of your chip on the shoulder arguments for a long time.

"Many Posters" You <deleted> off A5, speak for yourself, how dare you to mention others which you don't even know, oh, I see, you are always right.... that's it.

<deleted> off.....

• Like 1

blink.pngblink.png

So they buy before 1:59pm. Sorted!coffee1.gif

1.59pm, mmmm bar man I'll have 11 long necks of leo please and can you open them 1 by 1 every 20 minutes.

Thank you

Really this country has some very strange practises

The point of my post was and still is, has anyone noticed the new restrictions that apparently came into force 16 days ago.

That is what i asked.

That was my point.

Has anyone noticed the new restrictions that were introduced, according to the OP, 16 days ago?

No. The new restrictions supposedly do not allow bulk sales anymore and i bought over 10 liters between 2 and 3 pm a couple of days ago at makro so no change there yet.

Alcohol sure makes the world spin!

The majority of the posts here proves it.

No alcohol, no life.

whistling.gif

I don't think the majority of posts prove that.

I am always home by midnight (except New Years Eve.) so the late evening restrictions don't affect me.

I don't drink a lot and hardly ever drink in the afternoons. I have on occasions stayed at a hotel or sat on the beach and fancied a cold beer instead of a fruit juice in the afternoon. This happens maybe once or twice a year.

Therefore I am against the restriction.

Apart from that, like all other laws it will NEVER be fully enforced.

If the police were to enforce laws strictly then all these silly new laws wouldn't be necessary. Stop people from drunk driving, punish them heavily, punish the people who encourage them. Stop stores from selling alcoho; to underaged kids and punish the people who do sell. (Child sex offenders are punished... why not people who sell alcohol to them?)

New regulations.

When will the regulators spend time and see to that the side walks are not uses by MCs etc. ?

When will the regulators see to it that taxis must have usable safty belts?

When will the regulators see to that blackend car window shields all around the cars are forbidden?

When will they fix the wire/cable mess along the roads?

When will they see to that kids do not ride in the front seats?

When will they enforce the helmet law?

When will they look at no. of persons on MCs?