Suvarnabhumi taxi drivers suggest baggage charges

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxi's drive on CNG and the price of it has gone up recently.

My suitcase doesn't fit in the boot of a taxi, they have a huge gastank there.

Also the drivers are too lazy to lift my suitcase into the backseat, i have to do that myself.

Almost never can they speak english.

Last time i had a taxibill from the airport from 400 baht. I tipped the driver 30 or so and he said he would pay tollway himself and drive back to suvarnabhumi. I told him the mall was much closer to pick a customer but he said he didn't have a permit for it. He had one for the airport so was going back there to get a new client.

Samui and Phuket have the worst and most greedy taxidrivers of the whole country, hence i will never ever go back there. I like Bali much more.

To start with, fuel prices have DROPPED like a stone in the last month, so I look forward to seeing a reduction in taxi fares very soon.

But, they are stupid, they fill most of their boot with a huge LPG tank and then moan because they have no room for bags. They whine and whine, and then whine some more, but they are their own worst enemies.

Mankorndang I do not know where you have been hiding but as fr as Taxi Drivers worldwide carrying and loading bags you live in a dream.

I drive taxis part time and when i help folk with their bags they are so appreciative because they are not used to it, I do not do it for the tips but to provide a good service

NOW ON YOUR SIDE

As for the price of fuel a hell of a lot of taxis have gas now and you cannot put too many bags in the boot anyway so will they charge you for having a bag or 2 on the seat with you.

Ask for a meter ride and they look at you in horror, How much to Pattaya please ? 1500 Baht Mister, no toll,,, get to a toll and they turn around and ask you for toll when they act rsponsible so will customers

one of the problems is they have to have a permit to pick up passengers at the airport , so if they take you from your hotel they probably are coming back empty,

if its the same when they drop you off at the hotel that they cannot pick up a fare in town then something needs to be done about that !

But still I do not want a baggage fee unless there is also a fee for lying to the passengers !

Wow. Some of you get really angry about taxis.

yes we do, service is king. pay a little more is ok. but no one wants to smell the i refuse to shower ass of a nasty driver. the customer has no choice in which taxi he gets. half the taxies are clean,their operators are neat & clean, smell not so bad. the other half.... well they smell like wet nasty i come from da funky town smell. :-)

They gotta pay the graft, o.k..

Don't take an Airport Taxi,,same as Kona..unless You know it trust him.

By the meter,or less. I never take taxi in Hawaii, unless the weather is endangering,

And I pay $$25 for a $30+ ride.Airport guys should charge full meter rate, unless it a friend on the way home.

Charging bags, really helps guarantee that large denomination bill. Yum, $50.

All nations charge luggage, Thais just charge You 'wealthy Europeans a few more things,

getting lost..etc.

These are not a London Cab..

There are easy enough to use alternatives: AOT Limousine, UBER Taxi....

An analogy: If you stay at a 5 star hotel, pay 5 star price you get 5 star service. If you stay at a guest house you pay guest house prices, the shower will be crappy, security will be less etc etc.. You get the point....

In paying for a cheaper taxi you are getting cheaper service... Its not right and it shouldn't happen, but thats what it boils down to... In Bangkok at least there are excellent alternatives for those who object on principle to using the taxis and don't mind paying more for something clean and reliable.

Oh these Thais, just piss off the TV members don't they, How damn rude of them to try and suggest practical solution to their grievances!! And all in the purpose of trying to make an honest living, doing their job an honest way. Not feeling pushed ot scam the system and the customers since they are too feeling cheated.

A lot of the posters here should be ashamed, many here haven't any idea worth sharing, and their experiences yawn, damn weak.You dont even realise how damn retarded you sound, and worse yet even some of those who actually sound wordly jump the band wagon and winge and moan and just monkey <deleted> shuffle.

damn ignorant pigs or just sheep.

Put yourself in the real world for a moment and try respect the other side, and see it from their perspective, actually you know what.. forget it. <deleted> it, get keep on whining over a few dollars and bhat.

And for me, I've never had a problem with the taxis anywhere like gets mentioned here, and i've handled any situation where someone was trying to scam me, i've handled it and got through it without a hitch.

<deleted>...oh fire away its the internet, I await the response in kind.

OK...here is a simple suggestion.

As far as I know the Taxis that are working out of the Airport are registered as such....meaning, not any taxi driver and or cab company is allowed to come and pick up a passenger at the designated taxi pick up locations at the Airport.

Correct???? or correct me if I am wrong.

If that be the case then the smart thing to do is appropriately increase the meter costs, per kilometer, only for those taxis legally registered to pick up passengers from the airport.....and correctly registered as such.

If they go the surcharge route for extra baggage then there will be all kinds of misunderstandings and a lot of resentment and a whole lot of arguing going on while the passengers, just having arrived from long flights and just having gone through the immigration frustrations and baggage collection frustrations are now confronted by Taxis cab drivers and their working cohorts that are refusing to take the passengers until they agree to baggage surcharges.

No one likes and or readily accepts what they deem as hidden charges and or additional costs while they have never encountered such schemes in any other country they have travelled to.

If they raise the per kilometer cost of a trip that would, at present, be 250 baht but the adjusted meter rate ends up at 300 baht, then no one is going to be complaining.

It could easily work and the simplest way to resolve the grievances of the Taxi drivers who really do struggle most of the time to make a decent living.

Meantime.....I will leave it up to the other members to scrutinize the plan and reveal all the many ways a simple means of addressing an issue can quickly be corrupted for gain and profit by the various Thai players involved....as inevitably occurs and predictable.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now farang is really going to complain.

No other land transport charge extra for baggage.

Not train, not bus, not car rental; why on earth Thai taxi going to charge for baggage is beyond my logic.

Perhaps the happy Thai people's logic is a world different from mine.

Actually,bus and trains do charge for excess.

As mentioned, I worked in Hawaii, first with normal

Farm belt tourists and the occasional CEO,

Then with 4 seasons &some of the 'others' David Getty and his family, Jobs, Gates Waz..etc.

The former folks sometimes had suitcases in the 60-70,# range or 30+kgs ,and was very happy

when the state of Hawaii added a charge of $1 per bag.

Not carry one. The time and EFFORT necessary to move 3-400,

lbs. of baggage made a much needed tip..expensive gas,

expensive food, that much Fatter.

Don't charge 4 Seasons guest the bag charge, said Maria our boss..

Sure Mama..whatever you said..

Aloha

Brad (disabled from heavy baggage)

Try to pack less, OK?

Oh, yeah..Pilots carry their own..

• 3 weeks later...

Now farang is really going to complain.

No other land transport charge extra for baggage.

Not train, not bus, not car rental; why on earth Thai taxi going to charge for baggage is beyond my logic.

Perhaps the happy Thai people's logic is a world different from mine.

Actually,bus and trains do charge for excess.

for E-X-C-E-S-S !! facepalm.gif

Not sure that should be defined by what doesn't fit in your pocket... Are we now going to proliferate airline carry-on wars to thai taxis?

'Just a mouth-watering excuse to pick "rich farang" pockets.