Koh Tao beats Phuket in Tripadvisor Top 10 islands

webfact

Koh Tao beats Phuket in Tripadvisor Top 10 islands
Matt Pond

1421981767_1-org.jpg
Koh Tao. Photo by Eric Molina

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong recently expressed his disappointment that not one of Phuket’s beaches features among the top 100 beaches in the world.

He will no doubt also be disappointed to find that Phuket also no longer appears in the Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice list of the Top 10 Islands in the World.

What makes the blow more bitter for Phuket is that in 10th place in the world is Koh Tao – despite the notorious murders of British Tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge in September last year, and frantic Internet discussion about gangsters and godfathers, violence, corruption and lawlessness on that island.

Tripadvisor makes no mention of the murders, describing Koh Tao thus: “Drifting serenely in the Gulf of Thailand, the palm-fringed island of Ko Tao takes its name from the abundant sea turtles that reside on its shores. White sand beaches sheltered by steep hills – some only accessible with four-wheel drive vehicles – and 300 days of sun per year invite long afternoons of lounging.”

Phuket does make it into Tripadvisor’s Top 10 islands in Asia, in seventh place, but behind Koh Lanta (4th), Koh Pa’ngan (3rd) and, yes, in first place, Koh Tao.

It remains to be seen whether Koh Tao’s ranking will be battered by two more recent deaths on the island – of Frenchman Dimitri Povse on New Year’s Day and British woman Christina Annesley just two days ago.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/koh-tao-beats-phuket-in-tripadvisor-top-10-islands-50683.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-23

Natural beauty, should not be associated with the murders or other deaths on Kho Tao.

I condemn the murders and I wish the truth will come out one day, but I can't condemn a whole beautiful island and all the natives for the crimes that some people committed.

• Like 1

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong recently expressed his disappointment that not one of Phuket’s beaches features among the top 100 beaches in the world.

Disappointed he may be but he should also not be surprise and thoroughly ashamed. Here they took a paradise and turned it into a toxic waste dump. Who in their right mind would want to go swimming in someone else's human waste?

It was but a few years ago that a German magazine discovered high levels of coliform in the water and the authorities did little about it.

When I lived their people would often invite me to the beach ... my response was always the same ... I wouldn't swim in my own crap let alone other people's.

• Like 2

I think the photo chosen in this article says everything that needs to be said about that cesspit called island...

Time to work a bit on trip advisor, folks. Mention the murders, the rapes, the blackmails, the arson, the slaughter and beheadings of anyone who steps on the mafia familie's foot, the corrupt island RTP, the spineless traitors who look away whenever another murder happens... Let's put this dump in the place it deserves - the very end of this list!

• Like 2

Not surprsing at all when you think about it, we do all kinds of things everyday that are more risky than a visit to Ko Tao, such as driving somewhere. Only 7 tourists in a million have died in suspicious circumstances there in the last year, versus I would imagine a few thousand road deaths in the UK during the same amount of time. Not saying it's insignificant whats happening on Ko Tao, but you have to think about why few will care at the end of the day.

Not that you'll ever catch me anywhere in Thailand south of Samut Sakhon...

Wonder if Fodor's still does that World's Most Dangerous Places travel guide...just shows you it even has appeal for some.

Koh Tao beats Phuket? To death? or is it suicide?

At least it isn't only tourists that get beat there.

The ability to score a few joints, and risk a 100,000 baht "fine".

The ability to have a drink at a beach bar in Sairee, and if your woman is hot, and attracts the fancy of a local punk gangster, who has a father worth $185,000,000US, you may not survive the evening if you come between the thug, and her.

The ability to buy overpriced land, that has no legal title.

Plenty of places for young adventurers to get drunk and high.

The ability to find plenty of overpriced rooms, that offer little in the way of quality and amenities.

The ability to go diving, with dozens of people nearby, and if you are lucky, find 5 meters of visibility.

And lastly, the possibility of spending the last week of your life, on a tropical island, if you encounter one of the multi millionaire punk sons, and he is in the mood for murder.

Not surprsing at all when you think about it, we do all kinds of things everyday that are more risky than a visit to Ko Tao, such as driving somewhere. Only 7 tourists in a million have died in suspicious circumstances there in the last year, versus I would imagine a few thousand road deaths in the UK during the same amount of time. Not saying it's insignificant whats happening on Ko Tao, but you have to think about why few will care at the end of the day.

Not that you'll ever catch me anywhere in Thailand south of Samut Sakhon...

Wonder if Fodor's still does that World's Most Dangerous Places travel guide...just shows you it even has appeal for some.

There is a percent chance one million people visited Dark Tao last year. Zero. Get your facts straight. Maybe Samui and Tao combined. Maybe. If a million had visited, hundreds might have been murdered.

There is a zero.percent chance Dark Tao saw a million visitors last.year, or any year. Maybe combined with Samui. Maybe.

Edited by spidermike007

Do Tripadvisor not check what they recommend?

Or do they just check the check?

TripAdvisor is very lax on verification of posts on their website. I caught several illegitimate reviews on just one hotel ... imagine how many false reviews there are when millions of destinations are involve.

It is reviews from the public that make these lists. Not a TA panel.

Phulet is ruined with touts, shopping malls and degredation of the once natural beauty.

The beach is a sewer.

Australia has better beaches anywhere. Pacific islands too. Hawaii and many other places handled development better. Phuket never did.

Phuket, your days are over.

TripAdvisor is very lax on verification of posts on their website. I caught several illegitimate reviews on just one hotel ... imagine how many false reviews there are when millions of destinations are involve.

How did you verify they were false? Because they did not agree with you?. I also review potential false reviews so I am honestly interested

• Like 1