How much the living coasts in the philipines realy cheaper then in thailand at the moment?

Sandman77

Hello!

I plan to visit the philipine for a while, never there before, how high are the living coasts realy in the philipines comparing to Thailand ?

Can I buy for 1000 pesos same like for 1000 Bhat with a little bit better exchange rate , also of falling euro the peso seems not so strong then the baht at moment!

Met some filipina in a songtail in Pattaya , told me only manila is exoensive the rest is cheaper how about palawan ?

Can someone help me make a over view of daily living coasts?

In a travel book I read a massage coasts 5 time more then here?

I lived here in Cebu for 2 years now, after 12 years living in Thailand.

You get around 40% more Peso, than Thai Baht when you exchange from USD.

Most of this get eaten up by higher living cost. Don't exchange from Euro or GBP - transfer / exchange only from USD.

I would get 5000-8000 php less if I transfer EUR or GBP. USD is king here.

Hotels = more expensive than Thailand, and low quality. I pay minimum 1200 php/30 usd for a ok room in Cebu.

Hotel - monthly rate in Cebu 30.000 php and up. 1200 php per night = 3 star hotel.

Rent apartment = expensive.

In Pattaya I pay 12000 THB. In Cebu I pay 27000 Php + Electric average 7000php. Electricity12 peso unit (0.28 usd)

* Note that most condo lease are minimum 1 year, difficult to find shorter rentals, most tourist stay hotel.

Transport - jeepney new fare now 7 php.

Taxi meter - start at 40 php - typical fare in the city is 70-150 php.

Bus - never taken one, very low quality compared to Thailand.

Ferry - Cebu to Bohol 500 php.

Internet - 999 php month - internet speed is a joke 0.2 Mbps - 1Mbps, cut of is the norm.

Electricity = expensive 12 peso unit (0.28 usd).

Cable tv = (Sky Cable) from 10 usd - for 60 HD channels I pay 50 usd monthly.

Local food is famous for being bad, nothing like Thai food. I eat my meals in the malls, or cook at home.

Pasta 200-400 php TGIF Hamburger meal 500 php. I spend more money in supermarket here, than in Thailand.

Smoker? = Cheap. Marlboro here cost 1,50 usd - Thailand 3 usd.

Beer? = Cheap. Promotions every where 4 San Miguel Light for 100-120 peso (3 usd).

Rum? 300-1200 php a bottle.

Electronics = Expensive. Usually 100-200 usd more than in Thailand.

TV is usually twice the price of similar model in Thailand.

Significant savings having a girlfriend here, compared with LOS.

Province like Palawan should be cheaper, but I can't give you example. People there say they live on 800-1200 USD a month. Foreigner friends who been in Palawan loved it.

If you want to know more, PM me and I can give you links to local forums here in the Philippines.

Asia2000

Cebu

Edited by Asia2000

27,000 PHP for an apartment? I know there are places for 3 or 4,000 PHP per month over there. 27,000 is way over the top. The cheaper places are very small, crappy rooms with a fan. Don't expect luxury like aircon or a lot of space or you will be paying a fortune like the guy above.

Actually if you want more of life than a losing contestant on Survivor I expect Asia2000 has provided a very good rundown. Most things are going to cost as much or more than Thailand - infrastructure is going to be much poorer - food is a mixed bag as there may be more foreign imports (at a price) but in general not a great place for food (even with all the sea around it). Security is always a concern and corruption is much worse. But perhaps some of us Americans who feel we must carry firearms in our visits to fast food places might feel at home.

For a lifetime relationship it may indeed be a better choice however - due to culture/language/religion. But in other respects (other than beer - which is world class) it is not Thailand.

I Have spent a lot of time on the island Palawan - in my view definitely quite considerably cheaper for most folks than Thailand.

But of course depend so much on your style of living..

You can certainly rent a good 2 bed bungalow in Puerto Princesa for around Peso 7500 per month, that might not me right in the city centre but certainly within easy travelling distance.

Basic food costs are certainly cheaper, i.e. kilo of pork or chicken in the market,

Eating out, if you avoid ubiquitous American fast food style joints, is around the same cost as say Chaingmai, but I certainly prefer Thai food over the local Filipino dishes.

Beer is very much cheaper.

For me, one major advantage is that firstly everyone speaks good English, our friendly and helpful.

Filipino girls are definitely not so mercenary in attitude as Thai girls, and certainly don't expect to move in with a pension for life just because you've had a good time together for a couple weeks.

Weatherwise, Palawan is well south of the typhoon belt, but you can get thundershowers almost any evening, and December can be quite wet.

Plenty of cheap flights from Bangkok to Manila - take a couple months out, fly to Manila and on down to Puerto Princessa and see for yourself,

take a ride up to Port Barton and spend a few days on the idyllic uncrowded beaches and your fall in love with the place.

The living coasts are not high at all. They are at sea level.

"They are at sea level."

Ten years ago they weren't. And often they aren't if you're living along the Chao Phraya.

Can I buy for 1000 pesos same like for 1000 Bhat with a little bit better exchange rate

For Baht 1000 you'd get something in the neighborhood of 1300 peso, so if you are actually planning to buy peso with baht, your comparison of purchasing power is off balance by a bit.

And, most probably you are starting with some other currency. If you've been paying attention to the news recently, exchange rates have been pretty volatile. Certainly if you're Russian or from the Eurozone you might better ask what 10,000 ruble or 1000 Euro will get you in Thailand compared to the Philippines.

Edited by Suradit69

My rent in Thailand is 12000 Baht month. I try to live same average standard, as I did in Pattaya Thailand. Friends here who live in nice places pay 50000PHP / 1160USD up.

Who want to live in a 'crappy room' with a fan', shared 'bathroom' with a hole in the floor for toilet, and a bucket with water for shower?

No aircon, No fridge, No TV, No tiles on the floor, No security man ...

My example above was from Cebu City, and here you pay for location. I lived in Cebu suburb before and my rent was 16000 PHP / 370 USD without aircon and TV.

If I had bought a Samsung 40 inch TV it would had cost me 45000PHP / 1050 USD at that time. A aircon split type would had cost me another 20000 PHP / 465 USD.

Daily life was 20 minute jeepney ride to a supermarket, 45 minute ride to meet friends in a mall. I choosed to move and live in the city, and that comes with a price. Rush hour in Cebu gets longer and longer.

Living costs here are far from cheap. Local forums are full of examples. It's a myth that Philippines are so cheap, unless you lower your standard and 'go native',

or live in the province.

Edited by Asia2000

Renting newly built apartments or staying in hotel in PI is more expensive than in Thailand and generally lower standards. Renting older houses in the likes of Angeles or Subic can be quite cheap but you get the usual security problems plus the noise of roosters and KOK is quite probable at all hours.
Food is better and cheaper in Thailand. Drinks are cheaper in PI.

I moved to the Philippines from Bangkok in December. I have a nice 1 bedroom condo in Mandaluyong, Manila for 20,000 Pisos per month. I consider this high but I was in a hurry, and it is in a nice building with plenty of amenities; Mandaluyong is a reasonably good part of Manila.

When I was in BKK I had a studio in Ari that I was paying 16,500 THB for a smaller unit not nearly as nice as this. Pros are that it was a 5 min walk to the BTS.

The MRT here is way over crowded and sort of a joke compared to BKK. In fact Manila is almost as bad as Jakarta as far as crowding and bad traffic goes.

Taxis are generally just about the same as Thailand, you can get a good one or a bad one, sort of luck of the draw.

I find food here to be about 20% cheaper and unlike most that have commented, I actually prefer Filipino food to Thai food. I used to love Thai food until I ate it everyday. If I every taste coconut milk again.....

Mobile phone service here is not so good, even in Manila. AIS in BKK was MUCH better. You almost have to have a dual SIM phone to stay in any sort of reasonable contact. So I have both Smart and Globe and pay around $60 for both including internet. Smart has LTE options and when it works, the speeds are good.

In BKK I had True for satellite and Internet at home. I paid 850 Baht for DSL, 5 Mbps and 1600 Baht for TV, and had 4 channels that I watched. Here, I have Sky. Cable is 500 PHP and 5 Mbps broadband is 1,900 PHP per month. So significantly cheaper for slightly better service. On Sky my speeds are pretty consistant. I watch streaming movies from the states on Netflix and have VoIP call with no problem.

I actually believe hotels are about the same cost. Out in the provinces you can get a decent place to stay for $18-25 per night. In Manila, it's $65-90 per night.

What I find to be the big difference are really 2 things. In general, Filipinos seem to be more open to foriegners. I have found it far easier to make friends here than I did in Thailand. Secondly, the rules seem to be a little more relaxed as far as foriegners staying here.

When this lease is up, I plan on moving with my GF over to Cebu Island up in Bogo City. There it is very very cheap to live well.

I have just been living in pi Manila / makati I rented a condo 28 Sq mtr 21,000 php per month in bkk the same was around 11,000 thb... Electric in bkk was really cheap compared to pi....7,000 php per month min used air con loads.

Supermarkets were where similarly priced

About the electricity bill... They say its high so they can fund running power to the boonies.. Basically funding continued growth at the existing consumers expense.

I was offered the same pi condo for a years lease @ 17,000 you can get rolling contract as I did.

In general I found pi slightly more expensive as I don't eat pi or thai food... I cook for myself and eat in the western brands style eatery...

French stick bread 70 pesos or approximately 50 thb

Beer and spirit slightly cheaper than 7-11 family marts bkk

The minute you hit the swanky bars the prices shot up..But they are frequented by freelancers.! Commonly known as fanny tax.

Freelance girls are higher priced compared to thai... If you indulge that's a big chunk of difference.

Expats find some local lovely to meet the needs... They are looking for the ring on the finger more so than thais..

But they are able to speak fairly understandable English... So they don't have any difficulties expressing their account.

I find the pi girls cuter sweeter but with a little extra chubby added.

Sorry for slightly drifting off op's parameters.

I don't have anything to contribute to the island lifestyle glean what you can from the replies.

I found meds expensive in pi... Pi is run and controlled by the greedy elite.. Marcos and co.. Pi is also servicing huge development loans from the 70's...

I guess paying for emeldas shoes still.

Well I found the hotels were expensive, Thailand is a lot cheaper for places to stay. I did like it in the Philippines, nice country, nice people.. Cheap beer.. Food better in Thailand..

I've found the hotel prices about on par with LOS.....the food is the shits and Manila is a shit hole from top to bottom....dirty, hot, too much traffic and people, other than that, it is ok? ?

I am pleased to see so many posters whose opinions tend to agree with mine. From my experience, the PI is more expensive, less advanced, and even more corrupt than Thailand.

Of course, there are exceptions. For cost, alcohol and cigarets are much cheaper in the PI than in Thailand; an alcoholics paradise you might say. Culturally, the Filipinos are only geographically Asian; although, they are still a collectivist society. Due to the majority Catholic religion and the hundreds of years of Spanish and American dominance, they are more Latino, as if they were apprentice Mexicans. There are more mountains, valleys, tropical jungles and beaches--it's a nation of 7000 volcanic islands--and some are still pristine, if you stay away from the tourist traps. Some of the more remote islands, like Palawan, are cheaper than the rest of the more populated islands and may even rival Thailand's cost in some respects, but are still more expensive overall. The girls are not as aggressive as Thai girls, but they can still be good housekeepers--you know, you buy a house and they keep it. Finding a woman may even be easier in the PI. Filipinas are more farang-curious and eager to get out of the PI, than Thai girls are to leave Thailand; maybe the abilty to speak English and communicate elsewhere has something to do with that, but I believe it has more to do with the lack of opportunity in the PI. English is spoken widely, so communication is easier and the farang with a silver tongue may get further. However, although English is spoken, it is not always understood--go there, you will see.

I note one or two posters who mentioned cheaper hotels in the PI. Where, prey tell, are they; and are you sure you are speaking of hotels of the same quality? Hotels in the PI, by and large, are more expensive and not as clean or modern. I can still find decent a/c rooms w/bath for B500 in Southern Thailand, but cannot find anything near the same quality in the PI for P678--at today's rate of P1.357 to B1--even in the Southern PI. Even in farang-central Bangkok, on Soi 4, you can find a decent a/c w/bath room B1000, no way you can find that same quality anywhere in Manila, or any other large PI city, for P1,357.

Food, there is simply no comparison--cost, quality, variety, taste--Thailand owns it hands down. Thailand also has a better selection of imported foods, but they are expensive and may rival imported food cost in the PI.

Infrastructure, again no comparison, Thailand hands down. Even in Manila, there are scheduled brown-outs--times with no electricity--and internet availabiltiy and speed are sporadic at best. The roads are in poor repair, and if you are not familiar with them, you should not reach any speed for fear of a deep hole or a drastic unwarned change of road levels--e.g., from road to bridge. the surface may be six or eight inches difference in height. Water and sewerage also lacks in the PI, and the Filipinos think nothing of pissing anywhere they like, even against the wall of a Catholic church. Bathrooms are horrific. They are invariably dirty and smelly, except in some farang, tourist, or upscale places.

Natural disasters, the PI owns it; which may be one reason for poor infrastructure, government monies, that which manages to escape the politicians pockets, are spent on rebuilding devastation.

If you haven't been there, you should go. I know many farangs there who do not like Thailand and much prefer the PI. It is still cheaper than the Western world and if you live for cigarets, alcohol, a sweet lass, and only basic food and accomodation, you may just live as cheaply as Thailand.

Hello!

I plan to visit the philipine for a while, never there before, how high are the living coasts realy in the philipines comparing to Thailand ?

Can I buy for 1000 pesos same like for 1000 Bhat with a little bit better exchange rate , also of falling euro the peso seems not so strong then the baht at moment!

Met some filipina in a songtail in Pattaya , told me only manila is exoensive the rest is cheaper how about palawan ?

It's not expensive at all.I visited my relatives there last August and the things are quite similar in costs here w some a lot cheaper.

I suggest you don't stick to Manila though...visit Palawan/Cavite/Batangas/Bulacan,you'll get a better view of the country too.

Well I found the hotels were expensive, Thailand is a lot cheaper for places to stay. I did like it in the Philippines, nice country, nice people.. Cheap beer.. Food better in Thailand..

I've found the hotel prices about on par with LOS.....the food is the shits and Manila is a shit hole from top to bottom....dirty, hot, too much traffic and people, other than that, it is ok? ?

That's only Manila you are talking about.If you haven't seen the rest of Philippines then I can't blame you.Even the food outside the city is different...tourists make the wrong decision to spend time in Manila bec even as a Filipina,I don't like it much there.

My rent in Thailand is 12000 Baht month. I try to live same average standard, as I did in Pattaya Thailand. Friends here who live in nice places pay 50000PHP / 1160USD up.

Who want to live in a 'crappy room' with a fan', shared 'bathroom' with a hole in the floor for toilet, and a bucket with water for shower?

My example above was from Cebu City, and here you pay for location. I lived in Cebu suburb before and my rent was 16000 PHP / 370 USD without aircon and TV.

If I had bought a Samsung 40 inch TV it would had cost me 45000PHP / 1050 USD at that time. A aircon split type would had cost me another 20000 PHP / 465 USD.

Daily life was 20 minute jeepney ride to a supermarket, 45 minute ride to meet friends in a mall. I choosed to move and live in the city, and that comes with a price. Rush hour in Cebu gets longer and longer.

Living costs here are far from cheap. Local forums are full of examples. It's a myth that Philippines are so cheap, unless you lower your standard and 'go native',

or live in the province.

You've been to one or few parts of PI and it's as if you know everything.There are plenty of condo/apartment in Philippines which are of good quality and in good location that are cheap.Maybe you didn't know people around there to help you.

I have just been living in pi Manila / makati I rented a condo 28 Sq mtr 21,000 php per month in bkk the same was around 11,000 thb... Electric in bkk was really cheap compared to pi....7,000 php per month min used air con loads.

Supermarkets were where similarly priced

About the electricity bill... They say its high so they can fund running power to the boonies.. Basically funding continued growth at the existing consumers expense.

I was offered the same pi condo for a years lease @ 17,000 you can get rolling contract as I did.

In general I found pi slightly more expensive as I don't eat pi or thai food... I cook for myself and eat in the western brands style eatery...

French stick bread 70 pesos or approximately 50 thb

Beer and spirit slightly cheaper than 7-11 family marts bkk

The minute you hit the swanky bars the prices shot up..But they are frequented by freelancers.! Commonly known as fanny tax.

Freelance girls are higher priced compared to thai... If you indulge that's a big chunk of difference.

Expats find some local lovely to meet the needs... They are looking for the ring on the finger more so than thais..

But they are able to speak fairly understandable English... So they don't have any difficulties expressing their account.

I find the pi girls cuter sweeter but with a little extra chubby added.

Sorry for slightly drifting off op's parameters.

I don't have anything to contribute to the island lifestyle glean what you can from the replies.

I found meds expensive in pi... Pi is run and controlled by the greedy elite.. Marcos and co.. Pi is also servicing huge development loans from the 70's...

I guess paying for emeldas shoes still.

Thank you.At least you did not trash/bash my country but gave a smart and more respectful point of view.

I will admit Manila is undesirable but there are plenty of great places to live which are safer and away from pollution not to mention cheaper.

I certainly agree Manila is a hole. Transport can be difficult, you get searched going into shopping centres & train stations. As a minimum corruption is equal to, but probably well exceeds Thailand.

The beers are nice & reasonably priced. Their local (coconut) hootch - Lambanog - is great & about $8US/bottle. It beats the daylights out of Thai whisky anyday. It is very pleasant to drink.

Foods... different story. I found it hard to get something edible in a lot of places. Food courts in shopping centres weren't too bad. Their main chains "Jolibee", which makes McD seem fantastic & "Max's", where if you can get served & actually get the food inside an hour you will still leave wanting something to eat, but with a much lighter wallet.

Accommodation - As with anywhere else it will depend on your expectations, how much you are prepared to pay & which area you are in. I've used hotels & private rentals, but think I would use the hotels over private. The private rentals have extra conditions & charges that can make them impractical when you go to leave.

BKK has a nice airport, Manila... let's just say it has a bunch of terminals staffed by scammers. OK, not all of them are, but a good % are. Keep a close eye on your bags.It will be interesting to see what the new airport to be funded by San Miguel will be like.

Language - Yes, most speak English, but so few seem to understand it. More scary is that a number of them are teaching their versions of English to other Asians.

I certainly agree Manila is a hole. Transport can be difficult, you get searched going into shopping centres & train stations. As a minimum corruption is equal to, but probably well exceeds Thailand.

The beers are nice & reasonably priced. Their local (coconut) hootch - Lambanog - is great & about $8US/bottle. It beats the daylights out of Thai whisky anyday. It is very pleasant to drink.

Foods... different story. I found it hard to get something edible in a lot of places. Food courts in shopping centres weren't too bad. Their main chains "Jolibee", which makes McD seem fantastic & "Max's", where if you can get served & actually get the food inside an hour you will still leave wanting something to eat, but with a much lighter wallet.

Accommodation - As with anywhere else it will depend on your expectations, how much you are prepared to pay & which area you are in. I've used hotels & private rentals, but think I would use the hotels over private. The private rentals have extra conditions & charges that can make them impractical when you go to leave.

BKK has a nice airport, Manila... let's just say it has a bunch of terminals staffed by scammers. OK, not all of them are, but a good % are. Keep a close eye on your bags.It will be interesting to see what the new airport to be funded by San Miguel will be like.

Language - Yes, most speak English, but so few seem to understand it. More scary is that a number of them are teaching their versions of English to other Asians.

So what's wrong if we teach English to other Asians?Are we all that bad?Your ignorance is unbelievable and as if Manila is the only place in Philippines.

Btw, there are many native English speakers who can't even spell right or use the grammar properly..now that is scarier(no offense to the decent ones).

Hello!

It's not expensive at all.I visited my relatives there last August and the things are quite similar in costs here w some a lot cheaper.

I suggest you don't stick to Manila though...visit Palawan/Cavite/Batangas/Bulacan,you'll get a better view of the country too.

While I respect your opinion, there is certainly a difference in cost factors anywhere between being a local as opposed to being a foreigner. if you stayed with your relatives, you probably also ate with them; thus eliminating much of your cost; and you are a local there. I too have Filipino relatives, seven of whom live here in Thailand. Every one of them say food, housing, and clothing is cheaper and better quality in Thailand.

Hello!

While I respect your opinion, there is certainly a difference in cost factors anywhere between being a local as opposed to being a foreigner. if you stayed with your relatives, you probably also ate with them; thus eliminating much of your cost; and you are a local there. I too have Filipino relatives, seven of whom live here in Thailand. Every one of them say food, housing, and clothing is cheaper and better quality in Thailand.

I actually stayed in a nice condotel for two weeks which was a good 700/night.I paid for my food and even took my relatives out.I guess it depends on how much budget one has and the kind of living they want.I grew up here in Thailand so I know it's easier to earn money here than in PI...the flow or cycle is faster.People are saying it's expensive in PI because the money flow is very slow.

or live in the province.

You've been to one or few parts of PI and it's as if you know everything.There are plenty of condo/apartment in Philippines which are of good quality and in good location that are cheap.Maybe you didn't know people around there to help you.

Where did I say I know everything?

I clearly stated that I lived here in Philippines 2 years - not 20 years - and I do not pretend to be a expert on anything.

I don't spend my days in a bars drinking. I am not a tourist on 2 weeks holiday.

I lived in Thailand since year 2000 and I took my time to learn speak fluent Thai. I still don't consider myself expert about Thailand, but I learned a few things thrue the years. I just started learning Tagalog.

My post are example of living costs for foreigners living here in Philippines, and are useful for people consider going here.

Quality in the Philippines, comes with a higher price, than similar in Thailand.

I spend 400 USD more every month here in Philippines, than I did in Thailand.

A few more examples:

New 40 inch Samsung TV cost 2 times the price as similar model in Thailand.

Water heater Philippines 210 USD - similar in Thailand 150 USD.

Samsung S5 sells for 32000 php / 744 USD in Philippines now. Samsung S5 in Thailand sells for 15.500 THB / 470 USD.

In Thailand I could afford to buy it, here in Philippines I will not waste so much extra money.

I read a lot and I get advice from other expats living here longer than me, I know real estate agents in person, and I also use a Atty for legal advice and more. When I write here on Thaivisa, I talk from:

- personal experience.

- more than 80 expats friends here in the Philippines, we meet and share experiences.

- Travel around the Philippines.

- I have many Pinoy friends after 2 year here, and a loving fantastic Pinay lady.

Had you read my previous post in this forum, you would know I usually praise the Pinoys for their good manners, welcoming foreigners to their country, hospitality, and in short I have high respect for Pinoys. But it's not cheap to live here comfortably, same as one can in Thailand.

Thaivisa is about sharing experience and opinions.

Peace.

also immigration - keeping your Visa up-to-date is a lot simpler in the Philippines.

Depending what type of Visa you are on, you don't need to leave the country for at least 2 years.

Those on a tourist Visa do have 2 extended every couple of months, but personal appearance is not required after the initial extension.

Anyhow, immigration offices are all over the provinces, no appointment needed, normally no queue , and everything can be done and dusted within 10 minutes of arriving at the office for a fee of approximately P1,800 .

Those on retirement visas have it even easier.