Where is our international community headed in Chiang Mai?

femi fan

I assume the OP is under 50 and doesn't qualify for a retirement visa.

In that case, I know some people under the age of 50 from my country (USA) who live here reasonably secure in their ability to stay here. All it takes is a trip to the USA every 15 months or so to get a triple entry tourist visa. When extensions are no longer possible, a trip to Lao to get a double entry visa. When extensions to that visa are no longer possible, a nice trip back to the USA for a month to get a new triple entry visa.

Is this too hard? Too expensive? Or perhaps non-US foreigners face different difficulties? I'm really just trying to understand why it is so hard to legally stay here for some people.

I assume the OP is under 50 and doesn't qualify for a retirement visa.

In that case, I know some people under the age of 50 from my country (USA) who live here reasonably secure in their ability to stay here. All it takes is a trip to the USA every 15 months or so to get a triple entry tourist visa. When extensions are no longer possible, a trip to Lao to get a double entry visa. When extensions to that visa are no longer possible, a nice trip back to the USA for a month to get a new triple entry visa.

Is this too hard? Too expensive? Or perhaps non-US foreigners face different difficulties? I'm really just trying to understand why it is so hard to legally stay here for some people.

It is not hard. The people have difficulties because they want free dessert and a lot other extras.

• Like 2

No Muslim marches, no gay parades, no heroin addict foreigners playing at Tha Pae Gate for donations, an area that has been relatively safe from the terrorists......why should they change? If I weren't eligible for a retirement visa, I would be in Cambodia or Mexico.

Surely CM just has a large cross-section of very varied Non Thai residents and tourists, with many different interests. And, as elsewhere, only a minority are interested in the art, yoga, spirituality to which you refer.

I know there are road bumps, but surely in reality thai people and authorities are fairly tolerant of incomers and their strange non-thai ideas.

There is so much thai bashing on here, and criticism of thainess, I am not sure why this forum would ever be taken seriously as an agent of change.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, we are unimportant to the thai economy and we are tolerated, but why would they roll out the red carpet?

You criticise the 90 day reporting but it is no big deal. many make a virtue of DIY reporting but t is easy and cheap to use an agent to take away any hassle.

You are right though- there is no conduit for lobbying for change- I suppose you could try your consulate but I think you know their response.

Seems to me we can only be happy anywhere if we can accept their way of life, their rules, their systems etc etc and not expect them to bend to our will-however sensible it seems to us.

Thanks for the effort to reply. I've cut out the bits that aren't to do with the topic i've started, and will address the bits that are left in your post.

I happen to believe that the minority is a very important part of any community that wants to be inclusive and democratic and forward-thinking. The arts are a vital aspect of what it means to be human. We need them more than ever nowadays. It is the problems the artists in our community are facing that has got me writing here. I don't want majority rule, i would like room for all voices with positive intentions.

I'm not suggesting this forum be an agent for change, i'm actually after ideas of how we might get change through using this forum.

I disagree that we are 'unimportant' to the economy, and that we are 'tolerated'. By some yes, by many no. And you go from 'tolerated' to 'red carpet'. Nothing in between those two extremes, no??! My experiences of Thai people in my 20+ years here are that, just like any other people in the world, if treated with respect and an effort to integrate on their patch, they welcome you as a fellow human being, no problem. I know this is not the common view here on thaivisa, but this is not my view, it's my experience, time and time again.

I will continually criticise the 90 day reporting. It may be 'no big deal'to you, but i have other reasons for criticising it, which i did allude to in my OP.

If we just go about our lives accepting the way of life wherever we hang our coat, then life would never evolve. Millions of Thais are wanting life to get better, and are now challenging the status quo in our internet communications age. They are most interested in foreign ways and customs and like to learn from other nations and their ways. I don't know if this is the case in the government, but i'm talking about the thai citizens and people on the street, living lives just like we do.

I am very happy thank you. But lots of people aren't. I don't like to sit in my little world and accept this state of affairs.

• Like 1

unable to contribute to the wellbeing of the community due to archaic work permit and marriage laws.

I contribute to the well being of the community daily, in my interaction with the Thai people.

Be kind always, help those less fortunate.

If you mean some NGO/business/collective attempt to "help" the community, sorry, not my bag.

• Like 1

unable to contribute to the wellbeing of the community due to archaic work permit and marriage laws.

I contribute to the well being of the community daily, in my interaction with the Thai people.

Be kind always, help those less fortunate.

If you mean some NGO/business/collective attempt to "help" the community, sorry, not my bag.

you mean you don't support orphanage tourism or paying to see wild animals drugged? What a party pooper.

OP, OK, you are referring to "working" here, not staying here. Many people are working here as volunteers, and although that may violate the letter of the law, I don't know of one case where they have been in trouble with the law.

Now if you are referring to working here so as to earn enough money to stay here, you are in the wrong place. Unless the people you are referring to have the skill set to gain valid, legal employment, they shouldn't be here.

I know tons of young guys (and some not so young) who have been living here and working here for over a decade, some legal, some not. They are constantly broke (or nearly broke), they have no pension and no future. God knows what they will do when they become senior citizens.

And if someone married a Thai without the ability to support that relationship financially, they get no sympathy from me. That may sound harsh, but I know young couples with kids who have no business being parents. If their finances were secure I could understand it, but many are broke.

Edited by JulieM
  • Like 2

Surely CM just has a large cross-section of very varied Non Thai residents and tourists, with many different interests. And, as elsewhere, only a minority are interested in the art, yoga, spirituality to which you refer.

I know there are road bumps, but surely in reality thai people and authorities are fairly tolerant of incomers and their strange non-thai ideas.

There is so much thai bashing on here, and criticism of thainess, I am not sure why this forum would ever be taken seriously as an agent of change.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, we are unimportant to the thai economy and we are tolerated, but why would they roll out the red carpet?

You criticise the 90 day reporting but it is no big deal. many make a virtue of DIY reporting but t is easy and cheap to use an agent to take away any hassle.

You are right though- there is no conduit for lobbying for change- I suppose you could try your consulate but I think you know their response.

Seems to me we can only be happy anywhere if we can accept their way of life, their rules, their systems etc etc and not expect them to bend to our will-however sensible it seems to us.

Thanks for the effort to reply. I've cut out the bits that aren't to do with the topic i've started, and will address the bits that are left in your post.

I happen to believe that the minority is a very important part of any community that wants to be inclusive and democratic and forward-thinking. The arts are a vital aspect of what it means to be human. We need them more than ever nowadays. It is the problems the artists in our community are facing that has got me writing here. I don't want majority rule, i would like room for all voices with positive intentions.

I'm not suggesting this forum be an agent for change, i'm actually after ideas of how we might get change through using this forum.

I disagree that we are 'unimportant' to the economy, and that we are 'tolerated'. By some yes, by many no. And you go from 'tolerated' to 'red carpet'. Nothing in between those two extremes, no??! My experiences of Thai people in my 20+ years here are that, just like any other people in the world, if treated with respect and an effort to integrate on their patch, they welcome you as a fellow human being, no problem. I know this is not the common view here on thaivisa, but this is not my view, it's my experience, time and time again.

I will continually criticise the 90 day reporting. It may be 'no big deal'to you, but i have other reasons for criticising it, which i did allude to in my OP.

If we just go about our lives accepting the way of life wherever we hang our coat, then life would never evolve. Millions of Thais are wanting life to get better, and are now challenging the status quo in our internet communications age. They are most interested in foreign ways and customs and like to learn from other nations and their ways. I don't know if this is the case in the government, but i'm talking about the thai citizens and people on the street, living lives just like we do.

I am very happy thank you. But lots of people aren't. I don't like to sit in my little world and accept this state of affairs.

'If we just go about our lives accepting the way of life wherever we hang our coat, then life would never evolve'.

'I am very happy thank you. But lots of people aren't.'

'I don't like to sit in my little world and accept this state of affairs.'

Why?? You write as though you feel you should have a purpose, and help life to evolve- would that be evolve towards your way of thinking?

I think most people would be happier if they could accept and adjust to the way things are, but if you want to change the thai approach to foreigners and that will make you even happier, then go for it.

Meanwhile, I will continue to happily accept life here. As the old quote says 'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference'.

• Like 1

OP, OK, you are referring to "working" here, not staying here. Many people are working here as volunteers, and although that may violate the letter of the law, I don't know of one case where they have been in trouble with the law.

Now if you are referring to working here so as to earn enough money to stay here, you are in the wrong place. Unless the people you are referring to have the skill set to gain valid, legal employment, they shouldn't be here.

I know tons of young guys (and some not so young) who have been living here and working here for over a decade, some legal, some not. They are constantly broke (or nearly broke), they have no pension and no future. God knows what they will do when they become senior citizens.

And if someone married a Thai without the ability to support that relationship financially, they get no sympathy from me. That may sound harsh, but I know young couples with kids who have no business being parents. If their finances were secure I could understand it, but many are broke.

Well Julie, people playing music to entertain thais and foreigners alike violated the letter of the law, and got moved on, no more music, no more entertainment. This has never been the case in my experience before, but what of the future? Which is in my question title for the thread. Today, musicians and yoga teachers, tomorrow??

Young guys are not the slightest bit interested in when they become senior citizens, but how is this relevant to this thread? Or whether the poeple you personally know are broke or not?

Look, thank you for responding, but it still feels like you've not read my OP.

Why?? You write as though you feel you should have a purpose, and help life to evolve- would that be evolve towards your way of thinking?

I think most people would be happier if they could accept and adjust to the way things are, but if you want to change the thai approach to foreigners and that will make you even happier, then go for it.

Meanwhile, I will continue to happily accept life here. As the old quote says 'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference'.

Why are you writing about your perceptions of me as a person, and offering up your own character to this thread?

And can you not even see that the 'old quote' you offer up includes advice to do what i'm actually doing on this thread?? I'm doing what your quote suggests to do, and you're calling me for it? How strange.

Beginning to look like this thread is a complete waste of time. Hope i'm wrong.

• Like 2

OP, can you re-state your question? I've re-read the OP and it meanders to the point of being unintelligible. I think you mean to say this, but correct me if I am wrong:

"I have friends who need to support themselves and, in some cases, their Thai spouses/children. Unfortunately, it is very hard to do here since work permits are not that easy to obtain. We love Chiang Mai and want to stay here and support the community with the skills we have to offer. What can we do?"

• Like 1

OP, can you re-state your question? I've re-read the OP and it meanders to the point of being unintelligible. I think you mean to say this, but correct me if I am wrong:

"I have friends who need to support themselves and, in some cases, their Thai spouses/children. Unfortunately, it is very hard to do here since work permits are not that easy to obtain. We love Chiang Mai and want to stay here and support the community with the skills we have to offer. What can we do?"

No Julie, i cannot restate my question, it's in the title of the thread. And if my post is unintelligible to you, then bad luck, go and find a thread where you can understand what folk are saying.

But i can say reply in the affirmative for your second request. You are wrong.

• Like 1

Considering the types of dross that is arriving from the west into Thailand lately I am glad that farangs are not permitted to gain any real footholds in Chiang Mai.

The simple fact is that foreigners of little wealth are not needed or wanted in Thailand. It is still possible for those who can bring a reasonable amount of foreign investment into the country that actually benefits the Thais to do business here. For example the British bicycle guy that is expanding his business all over Thailand and so on.

More subjective beliefs. I do hope the quality of replies can improve soon!

Did you even read my post man? I was talking about musicians and yoga and tai chi groups and teachers getting busted for advancing the lives of the citizens here, thai and farang alike. Then you enter talking about 'dross'.

And not all of life is measured by fat cat businessmen who have millions to invest. I was referring to the arts, the things that add to communities and their wellbeing.

Please add something worthwhile here, or go to another thread. And, at the absolute minimum, read my OP properly.

That`s your opinion. I see western influences in Thailand as a contamination not an advancement. This is the same old our ways are bigger and better than yours superior farang attitudes, something I was well glad to get away from in my home country. Thailand has it`s own unique culture, I like it and want it to stay that way.

If I want to listen to western music I can buy it on a CD, or go into Utube or listen on the music channel. Never been interested in yoga or the weird tai chi (whatever that is and don`t care) and contrary to what you may think, there are many of us that can live without it.

Thailand only wants farangs that are of benefit to the country, it has to be a give and take scenario, not a grazing ground and a supporter for the lower archivers in their home countries that become bored with their mundane lives over there and can only stay in Thailand for the long term by hustling. I certainly would not want farangs of little wealth given rights to buy and own real estate here, types of loser trailer park trash and council home tenants overwhelming my area and laying down the rules. Pattaya is a typical example as to how low class farangs can degrade an area.

I am very satisfied with my lifestyle in Chiang Mai and loving it. That`s because I can fulfil all the imposed conditions of the Immigration Department, so no problem. For those like you who don`t consider that farangs are getting a fair deal here, then you have an option of moving on to destinations that maybe more accommodating to your types or start a revolution.

Yes, I fully agree.

There are far too many geriatric, judgmental westerners here in Chiangmai.

Tai chi is fun and probably about 500 million Chinese people use it as a healthy daily exercise, every single day.

I realise you don't understand it, but what is weird about it ?

To which "dross" do you refer ??

Is a "lower archiver" a dwarfish librarian ??

• Like 1