Ripped Off by the BTS

MMan

As the remaining value on my BTS Smartpass card was small I tried to add an additional 300 thb today. But the attendant told me I could not, as the card had 'expired' and I would have to buy a new card. Sure enough when he put the card on the box it comes up 'Card expired 12 January' in English and Thai. I think it was maybe 5 years old, however it was still working fine.

So I was forced to buy a new card for 100 thb + the 300 thb value added. The old card still had some remaining value and I was able to use it for one final journey, after which it had a useless 5 thb left on it when I threw it away.. So my total loss was 105 thb. Not much money and I won't suffer one iota being out 105 thb.

But in principle it was an unnecessary and unjustifiable TOTAL RIP OFF. I got taken by the BTS for 105 thb for NOTHING. They should have kept my old card and gave me a new one for no charge.

When I bought the old card 5 years ago it was to replace a card that was no longer working (it had not expired, just could no longer be read by the gate reader). Pissed me off then too that I had to pay to replace a malfunctioning card they had sold me 2 years earlier.

When I bought the new card today the attendant seemed to be explaining that the card was 50 thb and the other 50 thb was a deposit. Not sure though as he didn't speak English and my Thai is limited. I don't know if that then means I can get 50 thb back if I return the card at some point, but either way it is still a RIP OFF.

Thanks for allowing me to vent...

• Like 2

The OP is correct. They change the cards every few years. However, sometimes the fee is actually a deposit. Since the OP threw away his old card he didn't find out if there was any refundable deposit to come back. I also think if he asked they would have refunded the 5 baht.

It is not only Thailand that does this, Hong Kong also charge a fee for cashing in a card. However Hong Kong don't keep changing their cards every 3 or 4 years like Thailand.

So, basically the OP is right, it is a small extra charge added to the cost of BTS travel.

The cards expire after five years.

Yes, it's currently 5 years from purchase to expiry for a Card which, IMHO is a good time to have them in service.

Considering the wear and tear they will receive of their lifespan, they need a use by date.

Sure, you could buy individual tickets to travel, but the cost savings and convenience of using a Travel Card far outweigh the few baht that would be residual on their card.

I have a Gold one which was issued on His Majesties’ 80'th Birthday, I'm keeping that one.

Currently using a standard Rabbit Card when I'm in Bangkok.

Does the card service airport link and bts? Can you use the card on the mrt?

Think it's good for BTS and BRT (bus).....makes no sense, I know. You'd think the transit systems would be linked somehow.

You can also use the rabbit card to pay at several retail outlets (restaurants, movies, etc.)

People who whine over peanuts are subject to ridicule by others here who wouldn't miss a few baht under any circumstances.

The first comment was referring to inane posts made by hand-to-mouthers who should either find a better means of survival here or find another place to live.

You say your card quit working after 2 years. Most BTS customers probably use up their card within a few weeks.

I very much doubt that the cards are designed to last for years.

If you expect the cards to last 5-10 years I'd say you are really hard pressed to find something to be angry about.

Maybe you should take up bicycle riding instead. It not only saves money but exercise may improve your moods.

To all those that consider it JUST a miniscule amount multiply it by the number of cards expiring each day and you'll see a totally different and MUCH larger figure. I see no reason why the card could not be topped up or recharged just as you do with your phone SIM or food mall card. And because it happens in other countries as well does not make it right either. OP was exercising his right to speak and that right should be encouraged rather than mocked.

Edited by Keesters

give the OP a break, it was 730pm on a Saturday night and he had nothing better to do perhaps smile.png

Now while we are all airing our dirty laundry, why do 50 /40 trip passes have a monthly expiry date?

The people making the rules either ride for free or don't ride at all. My best guess I may be wrong.

But in principle it was an unnecessary and unjustifiable TOTAL RIP OFF.

A man of principle in Thailand may go mad trying to figure out why he keeps getting ripped off at every turn...

Best go with the flow...do not dwell on these little acts of Thainess...otherwise you will worry yourself sick...and find it difficult to enjoy your stay in the Land of Smiles...