Ripped Off by the BTS

MMan

I see no reason why the card could not be topped up or recharged just as you do with your phone SIM or food mall card.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The cards can be topped up in this manner - they're not for a single use only.

But the OP said he tried to top it up but was refused because BTS said it was expired but he could still, and did, use it. Why not top it up and extend validity as with SIM and food mall card. Never mentioned single use so not sure what you mean by bringing that into the conv.

TV just gets more stupid everyday.

Wrong, the poster is making a good point, there is nothing stupid about it, and nothing stupid about Thaivisa. BTS also ripped me off about three years ago concerning their McDonalds offer, and they also ripped me off.

That small amount of money mounts up to a lot for them over a period.

Why not top it up and extend validity as with SIM and food mall card. Never mentioned single use so not sure what you mean by bringing that into the conv.

Has anyone ever tried using the same food court card for five years?

Yes...me. And for SIM it's been almost 16 years total but they gave me a new one 2 years ago so I could get 3G. Friend had ATM card for over 20 years before it gave out.

Obviously someone who doesn't read contracts, then complains when he breaks the contract he has with the service provider.

Banks also close accounts that aren't being used for some time and keep the money without informing you. Unless you jump up and down you will lose it. The terms and conditions for the BTS cards are clearly stated. Mine is a 2012 Rotary Club special issue with B500 free credit. Printed on the back It says valid for 12months unless you top it up. It also stated that the card will expire in 5 years which would be April 23rd 2017, "after which the stored value cannot be used for travel, refunded or exchanged for items or services of other value".

It is called a "SmartPass" because you have to be Smart to use them.

So before April 2017 I will be using up my credit and buying a new card. If I forget it will be my fault.

• Like 2

You say your card quit working after 2 years. Most BTS customers probably use up their card within a few weeks.

I very much doubt that the cards are designed to last for years.

If you expect the cards to last 5-10 years I'd say you are really hard pressed to find something to be angry about.

Maybe you should take up bicycle riding instead. It not only saves money but exercise may improve your moods.

I have a rabbit card I was dumb founded when I found out I had to pay 100 baht just to hold one. Like the OP has pointed out I shall be in tears in 5 years time.

Of course with my card I don't have to queue up for what will be days on end over the course of 5 years and also I save 1 baht per journey, which over 5 years could be enough to buy a English breakfast and a nice cup of tea. In fact I think it will be in said cup of tea that I shall cry into.

User pays. Fairest way.

Why should I pay to have someone else's BTS card replaced every 5 years if I didn't use the BTS.

Or do the users want the fare prices to go up based on the extra cost of replacing millions of cards each year?

This happens all over the world and the OP is out 105 baht that's just a few satang each day he held the card.

?

The OP is correct. They change the cards every few years. However, sometimes the fee is actually a deposit. Since the OP threw away his old card he didn't find out if there was any refundable deposit to come back. I also think if he asked they would have refunded the 5 baht.

It is not only Thailand that does this, Hong Kong also charge a fee for cashing in a card. However Hong Kong don't keep changing their cards every 3 or 4 years like Thailand.

So, basically the OP is right, it is a small extra charge added to the cost of BTS travel.

The OP lost 5 baht on his old card which expired. A new card costs money and you have to pay for it. This happens in more countries.

He was right to moan about 5 baht but not about the costs of a new card.

Son the subject of BTS and Rabbits, I had a very pleasing experience after thinking it would be the worst nightmare. Jumped on at Phaya Thai, got to Sala Daeng only to find I had not one, but two rabbits and I didn't know which I had used. This would be first time in 6 months for both of them.

Of course I used the wrong one to get out, I gave security my best hansum man sheepish smile and she did something to my cards and let me out.

For those of you still awake, Bristol City are playing tonight, that will really put you to sleep, but I can't drop them

The real rip off?

Kids can use their "get to school" Rabbit Cards to buy junk. All kinds of junk. In all kinds of places.

I love the BTS and MRT, but it's just wrong to take that kind of advantage of young kids and their struggling parents.

TV just gets more stupid everyday.

did you not understand his question?

I didn't understand either. What question? Please enlighten me. It appears, as he states, a vent, unless you are referring to the little section about not knowing if he gets back 50 baht that he thought, was maybe a deposit, as he does not speak Thai that well.

Dear nincompoop,

So, you call this a ripp off...

Before making bold statements after having bought something, being it in Thailand or in your homeland, your are supposed to inform yourself about the product you want to purchase.

That means that you need to read the small print and if you don't find an answer to your questions or you don't master reading the foreign language, then just ASK, instead of whining afterwards.

The posts on TV are getting sillier by the day.