Privacy and gossip in Thailand, and...

infinity11

Just don't engage in it. Plain and simple. You never have to answer anything you don't want to and you never have to expose any part of yourself or personal life that you don't wan to. Simple. I agree with you that Thai people seemed really into gossip and invading others privacy..... But that does not mean you have to. Just don't engage. So simple.

More about my comings and goings not so much about what i say.

They see what id do and who i am with and then EVERYONE knows and then more shit hits the fan.

I hope you catch my drift and thanks all for the responses!

Gossip is part of this culture.

Be as diplomatic as possible and simply answer as less as possible but surely you are in the wrong crowd.

There will ALWAYS be nosy neighbors in Thailand???

Watching and reporting to others.

Collective culture.

Gossip and rumours are collective culture in all cultures, nothing is as unbelievable as facts. Sometimes they get boring, but it only needs one incentive to get them started again. Some recent topics in this forum are a good example.

• Like 1

Gossip and rumours are collective culture in all cultures, nothing is as unbelievable as facts. Sometimes they get boring, but it only needs one incentive to get them started again. Some recent topics in this forum are a good example.

Thank you, very much.

Nothing is as unbelievable as fact. . .what a breath of life.

A person who need not fear the mirror. They'll only see light.

Happy New Year.

Just don't engage in it. Plain and simple. You never have to answer anything you don't want to and you never have to expose any part of yourself or personal life that you don't wan to. Simple. I agree with you that Thai people seemed really into gossip and invading others privacy..... But that does not mean you have to. Just don't engage. So simple.

They see what id do and who i am with and then EVERYONE knows and then more shit hits the fan.

Have you considered the drift of paranoia? Self importance , need one go on. Unless you are just a freak show.

Edited by nithisa78

Well, If I am catching your drift correctly, you may have to get a second apartments, or use hotels. That is really my only suggestion...lol

• Like 1

It's not as intrusive as in Indonesia, where total strangers will sit next to you on a bus or train and first ask where you're from, and then what religion, what is your salary, are you married?

Never had that problem in Thailand.

• Like 1

It's not as intrusive as in Indonesia, where total strangers will sit next to you on a bus or train and first ask where you're from, and then what religion, what is your salary, are you married?

Religion being the only exception, I get all of that and more from taxi drivers. I've learned to remain quiet in taxis for the most part.

Religion being the only exception, I get all of that and more from taxi drivers. I've learned to remain quiet in taxis for the most part.

maybe an advantage living in a city with no taxis on the prowl. The other passengers in the back of a song teaw never talk, unless they're also farangs.

Sounds like village life to me.

Usually it's the local ladies all getting together and gossiping and gossiping. ......and gossiping.

No truer words said, I just usually avoid it all, go off by myself, and keep them wondering.... I like this and it doesn't matter what country you live in. I just do things off the cuff, and watch them wonder..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Funny part is, they will usually start rumors about you. I just smile and change directions.... Always keep them guessing......whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Gossip is the privacy of in-groups in no-go zones.

Feel free to ask a bartender in a pub, or some girls when they come back from the ladies toilet, if you think that's different in Western countries - but make sure they don't kill you with their eyes or jokes.

:D