Which area to stay in Bangkok if I LOVE FOOD? all kinds of food!

LetsTryThis

Bangkok China Town and areas around Khaosan Road . Sukhimvit and most of Silom are dull.

Perfect for the timid soul and palate

Yeah cos you need to be a brave soul to eat around Yaowarat and Khaosan cheesy.gif . For what the OP suggested Thonglor and other areas around Sukhumvit are perfect and well placed to travel easily. Stay around either of the locations you suggested and it's a pain in the arse to get anywhere easily and the selection of other types of food isn't great.

I can't think of one place I would choose to eat on Soi 11...bar maybe Limoncello.

I rate a couple of places on the back soi if you keep going past Cheap Charlie's. There's a mexican place called Charlie Brown's with decent food and friendly staff and a bit further down there's a nice little French Bistro.

OP there's also a lot of good cooking schools where you can spend a day learning to cook some of the more well known Thai dishes.

Soi Rangnam at Victory Monument.

Great for thai street food (including the famous boat noodles), also has indian, chinese, burgers, pizza, korean, japanese, italian and more restaurants in the area.

2 shopping malls one with cinema at the start of the street (and not far to siam and central world on the bts if you need more).

Fair few local bars with the famous SaxaphOne Jazz Bar cpl minutes walk away.

Nice park area on soi rangnam for chilling out Or fitness Too.

Thong Lor, whilst nice and having good food and bars is overpriced IMO. Street food can be double the price for the same basic Thai dishes, small beers are 120b+ in a bar compared to 100b for a big beer in most other areas of bangkok. Rent is way more than you'll pay in other areas. I like the area but wouldn't love there, somewhere close by like Phra Kanong or On Nut gives better value.

Sukhumvit Soi 11 as someone suggested, whilst having food and nightlife options, just isn't a realistic option for living IMO. it's filed with tourists and all the bullsh*t that comes with it, i.e. touts, over priced rip offs and scams, dodgy street bar's and cocktail buses, hookers and ladyboys, tuk tuk touts, pimps and dealers etc.

why anyone would want to deal with that on a daily basis i dont know.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

Looked at your list and would say Sukhumvit Soi 11 has most if not all of your favourites. Has 2 outdoor Jazz restaurant bars, 3 pubs, numerous restaurants of all persuasions, the famous Cheap charlies bar etc etc

I can't think of one place I would choose to eat on Soi 11...bar maybe Limoncello.

I cant think of one reason for even visiting that soi.

• Like 1

For the best food in Thailand go to Chiang Rai.

Scroll down and you will see a food thread I started the other week with some good suggestions....will be adding more this week.

what's the title of the thread , I would like to subscribe!

Looked at your list and would say Sukhumvit Soi 11 has most if not all of your favourites. Has 2 outdoor Jazz restaurant bars, 3 pubs, numerous restaurants of all persuasions, the famous Cheap charlies bar etc etc

Well I guess the hundreds of other people their a few weeks ago don't agree with you.

As others have said the little Soi behind Cheap Charlies has Indian ( I have not tried it) A good Kiwi Seafood , a decent French and Thai (even if they are a little pricey). There is an Italian , a Japanese.neither of which I have tried but the Italian has been recommended. The Aussie Pub has lots of sport and you cn get a good steak. Two outdoor live Jazz bar/restaurants. Big German and Irish Pubs plus if you want a western cafe there is starbucks and . There are also several Thai bars. Up the end of the Soi away from Sukhumvit Rd is a very classy Thai and if you take road to the left you will find the Firehouse which is reputed to have very good hamburgers. Its also a short walk to either Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

read this - http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/soi11.htm#

Surely if the OP is coming for a month its actually better to eat Thai food rather than fly how many miles and eat food from other countries? In my few months out here I eat almost exclusively Thai, whether I am being lazy and simply going to 7 Eleven and getting them to heat up something out the freezer or grab some street food, I always try and eat Thai as its cheaper and I'm in Thailand. I've had one burger and a couple of slices of pizza, not worth in my view! There is so much good food everywhere and you don't need a lot of money either. The most Western I get is cake, a chocolate bar or Thai custard bread, which I usually pick up in 7 Eleven for a snack anyway!

Saw your post where it seems your staying 6 weeks in BKK. Bangkok is not Thailand. Its just a mega city thats in Thailand. Great to visit for a few days but thats it. Get yourself north south east or west and see a bit of the real Thailand. Plenty of good western food but do try Thai. Just ask them to keep the chilli down.

Soi Rangnam at Victory Monument.

Great for thai street food (including the famous boat noodles), also has indian, chinese, burgers, pizza, korean, japanese, italian and more restaurants in the area.

2 shopping malls one with cinema at the start of the street (and not far to siam and central world on the bts if you need more).

Fair few local bars with the famous SaxaphOne Jazz Bar cpl minutes walk away.

Nice park area on soi rangnam for chilling out Or fitness Too.

Thong Lor, whilst nice and having good food and bars is overpriced IMO. Street food can be double the price for the same basic Thai dishes, small beers are 120b+ in a bar compared to 100b for a big beer in most other areas of bangkok. Rent is way more than you'll pay in other areas. I like the area but wouldn't love there, somewhere close by like Phra Kanong or On Nut gives better value.

Sukhumvit Soi 11 as someone suggested, whilst having food and nightlife options, just isn't a realistic option for living IMO. it's filed with tourists and all the bullsh*t that comes with it, i.e. touts, over priced rip offs and scams, dodgy street bar's and cocktail buses, hookers and ladyboys, tuk tuk touts, pimps and dealers etc.

why anyone would want to deal with that on a daily basis i dont know.

well I'm a first-time tourist, definitely not a sophisticated expat, so maybe that area is appropriate for me, maybe there's a reason that area is popular with tourists; easy access, food, mall, etc, some kinda like Bangkok 101 or something.....I'd probably lost if i stay in an obscure location where only long-time expats dare to venture

Saw your post where it seems your staying 6 weeks in BKK. Bangkok is not Thailand. Its just a mega city thats in Thailand. Great to visit for a few days but thats it. Get yourself north south east or west and see a bit of the real Thailand. Plenty of good western food but do try Thai. Just ask them to keep the chilli down.

i have no time commitment, the only thing that limits my stay is the 2-months rule (1mo+1mo ext). then I'm going to Siem Reap or visit other SE Asia countries. If I like Bangkok a lot, I may come back for another 2-months

Well I guess the hundreds of other people their a few weeks ago don't agree with you.

As others have said the little Soi behind Cheap Charlies has Indian ( I have not tried it) A good Kiwi Seafood , a decent French and Thai (even if they are a little pricey). There is an Italian , a Japanese.neither of which I have tried but the Italian has been recommended. The Aussie Pub has lots of sport and you cn get a good steak. Two outdoor live Jazz bar/restaurants. Big German and Irish Pubs plus if you want a western cafe there is starbucks and . There are also several Thai bars. Up the end of the Soi away from Sukhumvit Rd is a very classy Thai and if you take road to the left you will find the Firehouse which is reputed to have very good hamburgers. Its also a short walk to either Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

read this - http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/soi11.htm#

For the first time visitor, someone who doesnt know Bkk or for someone with limited time on their hands, then yes I agree its probably perfect as a starting point.

My reply was aimed more at Smokie, someone who knows his way around the city.

As someone who lives here, I cant think of anything on that soi that I cant get better elsewhere, again just my opinion.

Post number 33 alludes to other reasons I have for choosing not to visit that area, the hassle of taxis spoils an otherwise good night.