Which University in Chiangmai to study English Business

tua2kee

Hi Folks!

My daughter is in the midst of choosing a university for English Business and she has more or less narrowed down to two universities, Rajamangla and Chiangmai University.

Rajamangla: http://www.rmutl.ac.th/index.php?op=und&mode=bla

CMU: http://www.cmu.ac.th/eng_facts.php?dir_org_id=75

She has already passed the admission test for the first one. Before I advise her any further, I would like to seek opinions on the quality of education, teachers and learning environment and as a outcome, the employability of the graduates from both universities.

I was also told that she would have to pay the full tuition fees for Rajablanga first to secure the place, and if she later decides to switch to CMU, there is no refund of the tuition fee. Is this practise normal?

Thanks and best regards.

tua2kee (a concerned parent)

CMU all the way if those two are the choice although English Language entry requirements of only IELTS 5.0 is worrying, most reputable organisations require 6.0.

Edited by naboo

It would be great if CMU had an international business or English program at the undergraduate level but to my knowledge they don't so CMU is really not an option. While the links you pointed out explain their program in English, these are Thai programs taught 100% in Thai language.

I would need to know more about your daughter to advise her. I'm assuming she is Thai and has studied in Thai programs her whole life. If this is not the case I apologize. Can you answer some questions for me?

• Is she more interested in English as a major, business as a major or the combination of the two?

If business, then I would advise looking at Payap, Ratchabat or Ratchamongala in that order. Payap's business program is pretty competitive and they will fail her if she doesn't do the work or doesn't pass her exams. Her English would also need to be pretty strong at Payap because their textbooks come from the United States and all their classes are in English. They're use to talking to angry parents who try to convince them to pass their under performing kids but the writing's on the wall at Payap. If you don't do the work then you don't get the degree. Or you get it with a low GPA. For the other two universities, while they still have to go to class, Thai culture plays an important role in who passes or not.
  • If she is interested in English as a major then I would go to Payap as well. The English Communication program at Payap is ran by a very competent English woman who takes her job seriously. At the same time, she is a nice teacher. But like I mentioned for the International Business Management program above, if she doesn't do the work or go to class, they will fail her.
  • What is her official ability in English and how was it measured? For example, did she take a Paper or internet based TOEFL or IELTS test? What was her score? The English entrance requirements at Ratchmangala are so low, their International Business Management program drops about 20 students each year due to the English being more than they can handle. Rajamangala's idea of an English entrance test is an interview where they ask your name and why you want to study there. However, Ratchabaht University is somewhere in between but, as I said before, Thai culture plays an important role in who passes or not.
  • Is she competitive in the classroom or does she not like to study. If she is not as motivated as you think she should be then she should probably consider going to Ratchabaht or Ratchamangala University. Payap would be very difficult for her.

I studied business at Payap and have a good idea of it's capabilities. I also helped with marketing and admissions which was a good experience for my degree. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

It would be great if CMU had an international business or English program at the undergraduate level but to my knowledge they don't so CMU is really not an option. While the links you pointed out explain their program in English, these are Thai programs taught 100% in Thai language.

I would need to know more about your daughter to advise her. I'm assuming she is Thai and has studied in Thai programs her whole life. If this is not the case I apologize. Can you answer some questions for me?

• Is she more interested in English as a major, business as a major or the combination of the two?

If business, then I would advise looking at Payap, Ratchabat or Ratchamongala in that order. Payap's business program is pretty competitive and they will fail her if she doesn't do the work or doesn't pass her exams. Her English would also need to be pretty strong at Payap because their textbooks come from the United States and all their classes are in English. They're use to talking to angry parents who try to convince them to pass their under performing kids but the writing's on the wall at Payap. If you don't do the work then you don't get the degree. Or you get it with a low GPA. For the other two universities, while they still have to go to class, Thai culture plays an important role in who passes or not.

• If she is interested in English as a major then I would go to Payap as well. The English Communication program at Payap is ran by a very competent English woman who takes her job seriously. At the same time, she is a nice teacher. But like I mentioned for the International Business Management program above, if she doesn't do the work or go to class, they will fail her.

• What is her official ability in English and how was it measured? For example, did she take a Paper or internet based TOEFL or IELTS test? What was her score? The English entrance requirements at Ratchmangala are so low, their International Business Management program drops about 20 students each year due to the English being more than they can handle. Rajamangala's idea of an English entrance test is an interview where they ask your name and why you want to study there. However, Ratchabaht University is somewhere in between but, as I said before, Thai culture plays an important role in who passes or not.
  • Is she competitive in the classroom or does she not like to study. If she is not as motivated as you think she should be then she should probably consider going to Ratchabaht or Ratchamangala University. Payap would be very difficult for her.

I studied business at Payap and have a good idea of it's capabilities. I also helped with marketing and admissions which was a good experience for my degree. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Do agree with Mr.Richard.. he should know... On Payap's excellence. However, more it is a buyer's choice.. Did like the comment on the (Former) Teaching Colleges...

If you look at the standard of English on the CM website you will see that it is dire: http://www.cmu.ac.th/eng_facts.php?dir_org_id=75

The Dean will presumably have signed off on this, so thumbs down from me.

That is a clever one.... yet even better at research conference, a distinguished researcher, did not check her spelling as well..

she was the director of pubic health...

I agree with mr Richard. CMU does not have a English program for business studies in English. I looked into all the colleges in Chiangmai before selecting Payap University for International Business Management for my son.

The English proficiency test has to be undertaken as the first step to admission for this international course to sell if the student can cope at that level with the other students and teachers.

My son loves it at Payap and is enjoying every moment of his studies as it gives students a very good medium for studies and to excell as a human being in payap.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just got news that my daughter did not pass the admission exam to CMU. She will be going to Rajamangala University to pursue a B.B.A. in Business English. term starts in Aug 15. guess this is it. thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Business English is not an international program at Rajamangala University. It is a Thai program with low English standards getting into the program and low standards to graduate. If she really wants to speak English well she should study at Payap....but chances are she is studying at Rajamangala because she cannot pass the basic English requirements to enroll in the international college at Payap.