New Construction Project Diagonal from RAM?

bangmai

Having a 'Costco' open would be a delight. It would drop the prices of imported goods to a reasonable level. I saw this happen in Japan when 'Costco' moved in, and with it came cuts of good US and Australian beef and lamb, berries that tasted like berries, and a variety of other imported foods at reasonable prices. Even with the membership fee, the huge variety of goods and the various imported foods at low prices made it a worthwhile addition to the neighborhood.

• Like 2

Having a 'Costco' open would be a delight. It would drop the prices of imported goods to a reasonable level. I saw this happen in Japan when 'Costco' moved in, and with it came cuts of good US and Australian beef and lamb, berries that tasted like berries, and a variety of other imported foods at reasonable prices. Even with the membership fee, the huge variety of goods and the various imported foods at low prices made it a worthwhile addition to the neighborhood.

yeah, or even a Trader Joe's......I'll bet their tune at Tops and RP would change rapidly. But, as I already stated, a Makro would be a good start. There are already 4 Tescos on the perimeter of the moat plus one on Nimman and one on Suthep.

Whatever it is, please let it be something that doesn't attract insane traffic into the downtown area.

Anyway, given how prime that spot is, whatever is being built now may just be a fairly temporary thing. (Looking at the type of construction going on). It wouldn't be too big of a deal to build something cheap for a 10 year lease and then knock it down and do something else.

Talked with a friend last week and also someone mentioned it here regarding the ICON center computer section, that they will be moving. But maybe only to a different area in the same building. Also, J.I.B. CM main facility is also being moved so perhaps that is one of them. He was at J.I.B. a couple of weeks ago and stock is low as they are waiting for the new facility before restocking.

I can tell you straight away just by looking at the building and the photos that its not an IKEA.

IKEA stores are build from giant flat packs delivered from Sweden. True.

I hope they supply a hexagonal key!

• Like 2

If ICON is moving then the next question becomes if there are any plans with the old location.. The old (and quite horrible) Tantraphan buildings. (Wouldn't surprise me if the same family owned that land at the corner too actually)

My friend mentioned some kind of food outlet. That should keep this topic alive for a while. biggrin.png

• Like 1

It's a new standalone branch of Power Buy which is part of the Central group. It's clearly out to compete with Siam TV which has pretty much had the field to itself outside the malls. Cheap, basic build and will be up before you can say "Thank You Promotion".

Incidentally, there are now three namealike electrical goods stores here: Power Buy, The Power and more recently the new department in Index which is (I think) called The Power. Powerful stuff....

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

Amorn Electronic has a sign in their window saying they will move down there...

I am hoping for a larger selection from them and maybe they will hire someone who knows how to work all those solar panels they sell biggrin.png

Edited by sfokevin

If ICON is moving then the next question becomes if there are any plans with the old location.. The old (and quite horrible) Tantraphan buildings. (Wouldn't surprise me if the same family owned that land at the corner too actually)

They are rebuilding ICON Plaza. If you look in front of the building you can see the plan for it. I think it will feature multilevel parking. I'm fairly sure it is not moving.