Phantom vs CBR150R

The cam chain tensioner was THE big issue on the Phantom....can't recall anything else really jumping out.

As mentioned, the carb'd CBR is the best bet for in BKK riding. Splits lanes like nobody's business and plenty of power. Also stupid easy to work on so that if anything comes up, you don't have to worry too much about the local grease monkey's wrenching on it....well any more than a local grease monkey wrenching on your bike causes concern.

One thing I would definitely check before buying a carb'd CBR is if it has an aftermarket CDI. If it does...don't bother. I believe all of those CDI removed the rev limiter. Who knows how many times that bike was taken past the point it should have been.

• Like 2

The 2 bikes are very different, one is a chopper and the other is a sports bike, so very different riding positions.

The Phantom's must be getting old as they stopped making them for some years now.

As mentioned, the older CBR's have very likely been ridden much harder than a Phantom so something to consider.

But okay they should be cheap to get overhauled if the engine is "tired".

apples and oranges but cbr150r all the way any give day!

Phantom is porky although comfy. but very boring driving dynamics. still you can also tour - slowly of course - with it and potter around in comfort but a boring comfort.

cbr150r sporty, enough power, great for Bangkok traffic. if you redline it too much, cams create problems though and carb can spit the carb needle inside the engine. you can also tour with it but less comfort still it can run at 130 kph happily all day.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

apples and oranges but cbr150r all the way any give day!

Phantom is porky although comfy. but very boring driving dynamics. still you can also tour - slowly of course - with it and potter around in comfort but a boring comfort.

cbr150r sporty, enough power, great for Bangkok traffic. if you redline it too much, cams create problems though and carb can spit the carb needle inside the engine. you can also tour with it but less comfort still it can run at 130 kph happily all day.

Sir:

I've heard you allude to the needle spitting carb before.

My mechanic who has serviced these since the beginning can't explain how something like that could happen.

He's never heard of it happening.

Or maybe he didn't understand me 100%.

Could you relate how you established that?

Too much redlining will whack the valve train in any 4-stroke engine I guess.

The cam chain tensioner was THE big issue on the Phantom....can't recall anything else really jumping out.

As mentioned, the carb'd CBR is the best bet for in BKK riding. Splits lanes like nobody's business and plenty of power. Also stupid easy to work on so that if anything comes up, you don't have to worry too much about the local grease monkey's wrenching on it....well any more than a local grease monkey wrenching on your bike causes concern.

One thing I would definitely check before buying a carb'd CBR is if it has an aftermarket CDI. If it does...don't bother. I believe all of those CDI removed the rev limiter. Who knows how many times that bike was taken past the point it should have been.

I am not confident I could identify an after-sales CDI box. Do you have any tips?

something like this.

i had the same 'Kitty' brand on my cbr150r and it was eliminating the redline - therefore cams problems:) - and giving some extra grunt together with modified carb and pipe and K&N air filter.

KittiXboxRacingCDI.jpg

you can also check API brand.

20140304080057-3ebbc73dd92985c61a42b2219

both works on carbed cbr150r.

An aftermarket CDI can derestrict the max revs [eliminate the limiter, so to speak],

but you cannot eliminate the red line.

"No sustained operation in red zone."

Else you will "LL" your engine.

Exactly why I recommend staying away from a bike that has one installed.

An aftermarket CDI can derestrict the max revs [eliminate the limiter, so to speak],

whtever papa. you understand me but thanks for clarifying.

yep, 'll'ed the engine of my cbr150 a couple of times due to hard runs within red zone. it was showing 160 - 170 kph though at the zone:) so it was OK for the fun.

racing cams for cbr150 is good though and they dont get broken easily even for extended runs at red zone!

whtever papa. you understand me but thanks for clarifying.

yep, 'll'ed the engine of my cbr150 a couple of times due to hard runs within red zone. it was showing 160 - 170 kph though at the zone:) so it was OK for the fun.

racing cams for cbr150 is good though and they dont get broken easily even for extended runs at red zone!

I would think the valve float would be a bigger issue than the stock cams snapping...but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Never ridden a CBR150 before but it can't be worse than a Phantom, no torque, too heavy and weak engine construction. Never ever again. PapaAl went all over Laos on his CBR150 without a hitch, seemed pretty fast too, which the Phantom ain't.

Someone thought they could build a 10hp Harley with all the torque of an electrical screwdriver, it doesn't work unless you are a 5 stone loner.

• 3 weeks later...