Thai Water Resources Dept ready to handle drought crisis

webfact

Ground Water Resources Department ready to handle drought crisis

BANGKOK, 26 January 2015 (NNT)-The Department of Ground Water Resources (DGR) has urged people to use water wisely as many provinces across Thailand could be at risks of water shortages.

DGR Director-General Praneet Roibang said his department is prepared to handle drought crisis predicted to wreak havoc in 31 provinces shortly.

The DGR will assign 87 teams of its officials to 1,321 communities prone to drought. They will use equipment and machinery to assure there is enough water for farming activities and public consumption.

According to him, those facing water shortages may seek assistance from the DGR’s 13 crisis prevention centers located regionally. People have been advised to fill up their water containers in preparation for the dry weather conditions.

People need to use water efficiently in order to overcome the crisis successfully. The DGR will continue to keep a close watch on the situation, said Mr. Praneet.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-26 footer_n.gif

Coming from Australia, I see only too well the need to conserve water in drought, however id like to familiarise myself with the supply of water here in Thailand. Do the affected provinces rely on Dam water ? if so, are the dams getting low ? What about villages that rely on Bore Water ? I assume that this conservation effort wouldn't affect bores. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject please. ? Just that I laid some turf 3 weeks ago and im watering it twice a day. Thanks.

When I read stories about drought or floods in Thailand I ask myself why they do not call in the foreign experts?

For drainage and canals the Dutch are experts yet their approaches have been spurned in the past.

Many of the cement klongs I see need serious repairs to rectify leaks yet during the season when they are dry there is no repair work carried out.

Water recycling is also something that needs tackling in Thailand.

Edited by Jay Sata

Perhaps its a similar scenario to Far North Queensland on the coastal regions, its tropical and seasonal. So, as with the case there, they know the rain is coming, its only a matter of a short dry spell. They make a who ha about the dry conditions in the media but don't take proactive steps to ensure the continued supply, such as what you mentioned above. mmm ill be following this closely. Someone said to me last night " the rains coming " but that was my wife and she definitely is no weather watcher. Does anyone know the history of droughts in Thailand and their affects. ?