Foods that can possibly be frozen?

Kenny202

We live a little way out of the city and we like to buy in bulk where possible and especially when things are available,

particularly fresh or on special.

A couple of things I never heard of freezing but would like to find out if anyone has had any experience....

I guess anything can be frozen but I mean successfully where it is near the same quality / palatability when fresh

Cheese

Beetroot (in Bottle) Obviously keep for about 2 years in the jar but we only use a small amount at a time and

would like to freeze portions and use as required

Canned tomatoes (after tin opened as above)

Dry Yeast

Any advice appreciated

• Like 1

Hi Kenny 202

Cheese

Beetroot (in Bottle) Obviously keep for about 2 years in the jar but we only use a small amount at a time and

would like to freeze portions and use as required.

Canned tomatoes (after tin opened as above)

Dry Yeast

Any advice appreciated

Cheese I normally buy in Makro in either a 2.2 kg block or grated in a 2.2 kg bag. Either slice it from the block into roughly 10 lumps then bag it up or if grated I put it into 10 ziploc bags. I keep one lot out and freeze the rest taking them out as required. They taste pretty much the same to me and I have been doing it for a few years now.

Beetroot I do the same as you and just leave it in the jar even for a couple of years with no problem. I have never tried freezing it but I think it wouldn't taste the same as being in the juice in the jar.

Tomatoes I cannot help you with as I don't like them but they should be OK in the fridge at least for a while if you clingfilm them or put them into an airtight container.

Dry yeast I buy in a 500gm pack as I make my own bread and rolls and it keeps quite well in an airtight screwtop container.

Cheers

Bill

I don't like the mushrooms they get in the forest here. Pretty tasteless and something in the back of my head worries i may get a poisonous one. My missus was raving about them but I guess wen Ur poor and you can source a fresh food like that seasonally it's special. After eating darker European mushrooms in Australia I could see she was disappointed last time she had the forest mushrooms. She still gets a kick out of going on a treasure hunt for them tho :-)

Thanks fellers. I actually like the challenge of sourcing stuff here and because I can cook I can make any farang foods I like

here now. I love Thai / Isaan food too (Except for fermented fish / poo water) but it's great to think you can have just about anything

you want. We live in Chaiyaphum and not too many farang here but between Big C and Makro can buy anything I want with a few little

exceptions. We went to Kohn Kaen last week and the few little things I couldnt find here I got at Tops there.

(Beetroot, European herbs / spices, etc...even found Vegemite :-)

As much as it was great to spend a day in a farang friendly city like that (and stuff my face with McDonalds even though I never eat it

back home haha) was still happy to get home to our quiet little Moo ban. Great to know only a couple of hours drive away though.

I'd read so much negative stuff about living here and eating the same Thai foods every day and boredom etc it has been a really

pleasant surprise. Including the lovely weather. Only been here three months and have had plenty of frustrations too but so far I

haven't felt so "at home" for years. Love it :-)

Thanks fellers. I actually like the challenge of sourcing stuff here and because I can cook I can make any farang foods I like

here now. I love Thai / Isaan food too (Except for fermented fish / poo water) but it's great to think you can have just about anything

you want. We live in Chaiyaphum and not too many farang here but between Big C and Makro can buy anything I want with a few little

exceptions. We went to Kohn Kaen last week and the few little things I couldnt find here I got at Tops there.

(Beetroot, European herbs / spices, etc...even found Vegemite :-)

As much as it was great to spend a day in a farang friendly city like that (and stuff my face with McDonalds even though I never eat it

back home haha) was still happy to get home to our quiet little Moo ban. Great to know only a couple of hours drive away though.

I'd read so much negative stuff about living here and eating the same Thai foods every day and boredom etc it has been a really

pleasant surprise. Including the lovely weather. Only been here three months and have had plenty of frustrations too but so far I

haven't felt so "at home" for years. Love it :-)

You would be surprised how many people like there are on Thai Visa.

I make my own bread and rolls, ham, bacon, suasages, pies, cakes and biscuits. Not many have failed and there are always the cats, chickens and birds to "disappear" the evidence.

Normally I take photos of the stages during cooking as a reference in case I want to change the recipe next time and I do the same with recipes, just add v01, v02 etc on the recipe.