THAI to downsize and reduce routes

webfact

THAI
National airline to downsize and reduce routes

BANGKOK: -- The State Enterprise Policy Committee has approved in principle Thai Airways International's rehabilitation plan, which was discussed in a meeting on Monday chaired by the prime minister.

Measures will include a reduction of the airline's staffing by 5,000 and cancellation of its non-performing routes.

THAI is one of even troubled state enterprises. In the first nine months of 2014, the airline suffered losses of Bt9 billion. It recorded a loss of Bt12 billion in 2013.

The rehabilitation plan will see its workforce slashed from 25,000 to 20,000.

The BangkokJohannesburg route was already cancelled on January 15 and the BangkokMadrid, BangkokMoscow, BangkokLos Angeles routes are likely to be axed in the second quarter of this year.

Decisions on routes that do not make a profit but are considered to have potential will be made in the fourth quarter. They include Bangkok-Rome, Bangkok-Milan, Bangkok-Brussels, Bangkok-Brisbane, Bangkok-Sapporo, Bangkok-Colombo, Bangkok-Denpasar and Bangkok-Hyderabad.

Under the rehabilitation plan, THAI’s fleet will also be revised. It will sell 22 old aircraft and decommission 14 Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A 340-600 craft.

THAI also plans to sell its stakes in Nok Air, BAFS and Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel. THAI holds a 39-percent stake in Nok Air, a 22.59-percent stake in BAFS and a 30-percent stake in Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel. THAI also plans to sell its shares in the Amari Airport Hotel and Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel as part of its business restructuring.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/National-airline-to-downsize-and-reduce-routes-30252743.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-27

They got to do something before they become a real " baskit case"...although national pride wont allow....and wont happen...

As an X Gold Card FF member I dropped them a couple of years ago after they left me stuck...without a paddle...and 6 months of emails....arrgg..dump them....

Still recon on a good product but they are living in the clouds..

Just ran a quick check on our summer round trips fares for later this year on various budgie operators.....left out the likes of Voodoo ,Taliban and Bod-git airways....not a surprise....1x Person Return......Decisions...decisions....jao...

• £540 Austrian Airlines
  • £591 British Airways
  • £603 Cathay Pacific
  • £751 Emirates
  • £419 Etihad Airways
  • £755 EVA Air
  • £509 Finnair
  • £689 KLM
  • £693 Malaysia Airlines
  • £382 Oman Air
  • £411 Qatar Airways
  • £821 Singapore Airlines
  • £589 Swiss
  • £1,057 Thai Airways
  • Like 2

National airlines are often a direct reflection of a country and its government.

Might as well drop this silly facade, and make it part of the Civil Service. Have them wear khakis, and offer fun incentives like earning a new ribbon for every 100,000 miles flown.

They'll look like Mexican generals in no time, but the swords may create an issue at airport security. tongue.png

They got to do something before they become a real " baskit case"...although national pride wont allow....and wont happen...

As an X Gold Card FF member I dropped them a couple of years ago after they left me stuck...without a paddle...and 6 months of emails....arrgg..dump them....

Just ran a quick check on our summer round trips fares for later this year on various budgie operators.....left out the likes of Voodoo ,Taliban and Bod-git airways....not a surprise....1x Person Return......Decisions...decisions....jao...

• £540 Austrian Airlines
  • £591 British Airways
  • £603 Cathay Pacific
  • £751 Emirates
  • £419 Etihad Airways
  • £755 EVA Air
  • £509 Finnair
  • £689 KLM
  • £693 Malaysia Airlines
  • £382 Oman Air
  • £411 Qatar Airways
  • £589 Swiss
  • £1,057 Thai Airways

Thats a very revealing post. Well done, but what is the destination country?

At those prices, it's a wonder THAI has any customers at all.

Flew to Melbourne using Boeing 777-200, the aircraft was showing its age, looked quite scruffy and in need of a thorough refurbish. Crew were lazy and had no interest in providing service and they gave the impression that the passengers were an inconvenience for them . How they have changed in the last 5 years

• Like 1

These companies need to make money; otherwise there is no milk money for the tea in the morning?

Why is a Prime Minister sitting in on a company board meeting? Isn’t there enough military on the board anyway?

The mind set to acquire and hold onto the best hotels at the airport, one can understand. But I don't agree with it. Assets like these have there eye teeth picked out, but serve only those who are in power. The distribution of wealth back to the people would not be great. So why are they holding onto assets like this? I see they are talking about selling them now, but the people who are in line to buy the asset should pick them up at a good price. And do the monies go into financing Thai Air?

Thai Air really need to improve on service. I would rather fly Emirates, getting in at 1.00am in the morning; they look after you. Last two times on Thai, very grumpy service on tired planes. 9hrs and being treated like toe jamb, you are kidding. Even Jetstar business class; just a happy crew.

• Like 1

I remember about 10 years ago Thai airlines were full like sardine cans

on the syd-bkk route, the fares were excellent, 9 hour direct flight, it

docked at the airport not far from immigration avoiding the 3km walk.

Very good and very convenient, i find myself flying with other carriers

now ? i wonder why, i have to pay for my flights out of my own pocket

so i look for flights that have the shortest flying time and short layover.

Having to fly back and forth from the EU i find flights change every day

with prices and i'm not flying Air China which are the cheapest but take

you to China then to your destination 35 hours later, better to pay a bit

more just for the convenience.

• Like 2

Amazing that it took them many years to find out that they are just too expensive.

And it's the same with the rest of Thailand, too expensive for what you get. Too many persons living the easy life at the cost of others.

• £540 Austrian Airlines
  • £591 British Airways
  • £603 Cathay Pacific
  • £751 Emirates
  • £419 Etihad Airways
  • £755 EVA Air
  • £509 Finnair
  • £689 KLM
  • £693 Malaysia Airlines
  • £382 Oman Air
  • £411 Qatar Airways
  • £589 Swiss
  • £1,057 Thai Airways
Thats a very revealing post. Well done, but what is the destination country?

At those prices, it's a wonder THAI has any customers at all.

The destination is important, BA is exceedingly cheap here and that isn't my experience. Someone told me that host airlines can't cut their fares too much; something to do with 'Open Skies' apparently so if that is true Thai would be more competitive from Europe I'm sure.

National airlines are often a direct reflection of a country and its government.

The number of military families now flying business on Thai is quite noticeable - all on military salaries

Tickets complimentary of the THAI air shareholders. That's the problem it's not run like a business. More like a state owned enterprise

• Like 1

I must have missed the part about serious fare reductions. Methinks their strategy is to retain high fares and the routes on which they can book enough passengers at non-competitive rates while driving down costs. This can only be a stopgap measure, because good cheap alternatives will eventually show up in those markets. This is the kind of "solution" that comes from the beancounters. Numbers. It's all in the numbers for them, so of course passengers won't be seen as anything other than statistical entities with money. Statistical entities don't need superior service, comfortable seats, enjoyable food, etc. - especially if those things are seen as "interfering with the profit picture."

Edited by Ozziepat

By By Star Alliance.

It's prudent to axe those routes. Low yield potential.

Thai I doing the right think in my stupid opinion.

Every airline is suffering. Every single one.

The whole world economy has reached its ponsey scheme heights

• Like 1