Tottenham Thread

chonabot

seems weve done a deal, good news

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18827137

Great news...one more striker please...and a keeper and I will be well chuffed. biggrin.png

Didn't i tell you the deal was done 3 days ago smokes!!!

i am very pleased to hear the overiding priority is one more striker and a major signing at that. Problem is so much of this transfer merry go round seems to hang on the specifics of the Modric deal. We do have a concrete offer on the table from Madrid but does it match Levy's estimation.

You can forget the paper talk about Hugo Lloris for the moment btw....were nowhere near doing a deal.

You did mate.....your sources seem to be top drawer this summer! thumbsup.gif

More strikers.....music to my ears! smile.png

Daily Telegraph 15/7/12

Andre Villas-Boas lays in to Roman Abramovich while talking up his ambitions for new club Tottenham

Andre Villas-Boas has wasted no time in inflaming the rivalry between Tottenham and Chelsea and risking further alienation from Roman Abramovich.

Villas-Boas unleashed a stinging attack on the set-up at Stamford Bridge, comparing the Russian unfavourably with his new boss Daniel Levy, and suggesting Spurs have a greater history and more potential than the west London club.

When he was introduced this week as Harry Redknapp’s successor, Villas-Boas made it clear he felt let down and ‘’cut short’ by Abramovich, who sacked him in March, barely eight months into a three-year ’project’ at Stamford Bridge.

And when asked why he felt it would be different at White Hart Lane, where he has also signed a three-year deal, the Portuguese manager went back on the attack, claiming the management style and structure at Tottenham was more conducive to success.

He also said he felt the club had a greater sense of belonging, a stronger tradition of attractive football, and were not looking for scapegoats, suggesting Abramovich and his board were less involved and less knowledgeable than Levy and Joe Lewis, Tottenham’s billionaire backer.

Villas-Boas even went so far as to compare Tottenham with Barcelona for their style, and said Chelsea have only had real success since Abramovich bought the club in 2003, investing over a billion pounds in the process.

It will certainly make for an intense atmosphere when the two clubs meet at White Hart Lane in October, with Villas-Boas unlikely to have many friends left in the Chelsea camp.

When asked if Tottenham is a better fit for him than Chelsea, he said: “There is more of a sense of belonging to a club. This is a club full of tradition, which I am still learning about and have to admire.

"Chelsea has its own tradition that has changed dramatically since it was bought in 2003, and there is a sense of belonging here at Spurs which I want to use in a different way.

"They are totally different clubs and propositions, with different ways of being.”

He said that Levy was the main factor in his decision to join Tottenham. “I met the chairman and saw the way he goes about his business at the club.

"He knows what he’s doing, approaching the market in a different way, and is a person of great football understanding – that had the effect of giving me the assurances I wanted in terms of building something.

“I met Joe Lewis as well, a person of great warmth. Along with Daniel they have strong ambitions for the club and I share those ambitions.

"Not only that Tottenham are linked with great football in the past. It is something they have always valued highly.

“You can’t say they are the Barcelona of England, but there is a wonderful history of attractive football, and Bill Nicholson left these messages of football well played and doing things in style, which is what I want to achieve as well.”

Villas-Boas also believes Levy’s reputation as a negotiator par excellence bodes well for him.

This week Jan Vertonghen revealed it was Levy’s personal touch that persuaded the Belgian defender to leave Ajax for Tottenham, a move soon followed by signing Emmanuel Adebayor for a bargain £6 million.

By contrast, Abramovich is famous for paying way over the odds for players who have not worked out, with the £30 million spent on Andriy Shevchenko the most obvious example.

“I think with an owner that is involved on a daily basis at the football club, with his knowledge, that is the main difference,” added Villas-Boas.

“They are not looking for certain scapegoats, and when so many people are striving forward, it makes your job easier.

"The thing is that what we were doing [at Chelsea] in terms of the project, words did not meet the actions, so I think I was cut short.”

But he is also realistic about the expectations and pressure at Spurs. “Of course there are responsibilities that come with this job.

"You don’t expect to be in ninth or tenth place and expect to be in a comfortable position, I accept that.

“When you are so ambitious, there are responsibilities that you have to take, and if it is a failure it is a failure, and I will be the first to assume failure if that is the case.

“It’s not about me, it’s about the club. All of us are emotional, and we all respond in a different way to sentiments of ambition and revenge, but it would be a wrong step if I were to take it that way.

"This club is much more important than me and what I have to do is try to take them to success and not make it a personal issue.”

One player Villas-Boas appears to believe is essential to that pursuit of success is Rafael Van der Vaart, who now appears likely to be staying at the club.

Earlier interest from Schalke and Hamburg has cooled and the Dutch international admitted he is likely to start the season with Tottenham — which will delight new manager Villas-Boas, who is already resigned to losing his other star midfielder Luka Modric to Real Madrid.

“With Van der Vaart, at the moment I am absolutely counting on him,” said Villas-Boas.

“It’s a totally different situation from Luka, who has been chased by different clubs in the past two seasons and is continuing to drag interest. We have to make sure the club’s interests are met, and it’s up to the chairman to decide that.”

• Like 2

I liked that interview with Villas-Boas and i'm also delighted that Rafa's staying. That guys won us so many games when we've been a bit flat and needed to nick a goal. I'm expecting a lot from him and Sigurdsson next season.

I liked that interview with Villas-Boas and i'm also delighted that Rafa's staying. That guys won us so many games when we've been a bit flat and needed to nick a goal. I'm expecting a lot from him and Sigurdsson next season.

Yeah all good....I'm still expecting another striker though...and a keeper. Any news there at all?

Yeah all good....I'm still expecting another striker though...and a keeper. Any news there at all?

Nothing going to happen iminently no. There seems to be a lot going on though and the three key positiond mentioned by you that presumably include an attacking midfield are the focus.

Apparently there is a very substantial offer on the table for Modric from Madrid. As i said before this appears to be the cataltst for a lot of activity. I don't think the keeper situation has the same priority as the other two positions. You might be interested to know that our goal keeping coach, Tony Parks still reckons Gomes is the best keeper at the club. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was given a second chance because Parks is rated at the cull, he survived the cull after <deleted> face was fired and his opinion is valued.

I would though be amazed if we went into the new season without fairly major buys in the other two positions but thats not saying that Villas-Boas is looking for a direct replacement for Modric although unless something extraordinary happens you can take it as a given that the Croat is off.

Yeah...I think the striker is priority. Surprised we haven't looked at the Rangers keeper to be honest....he's a safe pair of hands.

Really though I'd like to see Krul...but that won't happen of course....

Krul signed a new contract didn't he.

Personally speaking i always did and still feel now that getting rid of Robinson was a knee jerk reaction.

What i do think is ridiculous is how we have ended up with two keepers with a combined age of 79 years old! Brad proved his worth but generally speaking, over the last couple of years Cudicini has been dog average. True he has had a couple of good games but all you are looking for from a number two is a consistent safe pair of hands.

Yeah...I think the striker is priority. Surprised we haven't looked at the Rangers keeper to be honest....he's a safe pair of hands.

Personally speaking i always did and still feel now that getting rid of Robinson was a knee jerk reaction.

What i do think is ridiculous is how we have ended up with two keepers with a combined age of 79 years old! Brad proved his worth but generally speaking, over the last couple of years Cudicini has been dog average. True he has had a couple of good games but all you are looking for from a number two is a consistent safe pair of hands.

That's why I suggest the Rangers lad....he would be relatively cheap too.

That's why I suggest the Rangers lad....he would be relatively cheap too.

There could be a language barrier with our back four though! laugh.png

I'm warming to AVB....smile.png

, Irrelevant of what he actually said, the media will record that vb slated Chelsea, abramov boy, and then added were gonna challenge for the title, No pressure building than !! why

doesnt he shut thefuc up, imo

his comments and at best his interviews and quoted comments are coming a x as ill considered, and imo will come bac and haunt him. One of the issues that helped fuc_k him up at chelsea was the way he handled the media. Dont seem like he's learnt much, the only thing he seems to be setting himself for is a fall, wish it were looking otherwise.

Edited by rijit

, Irrelevant of what he actually said, the media will record that vb slated Chelsea, abramov boy, and then added were gonna challenge for the title, No pressure building than !! why

his comments and at best his interviews and quoted comments are coming a x as ill considered, and imo will come bac and haunt him. One of the issues that helped fuc_k him up at chelsea was the way he handled the media. Dont seem like he's learnt much, the only thing he seems to be setting himself for is a fall, wish it were looking otherwise.

I'm pleased to note you are maintaining your consistently positive approach. biggrin.png

He slagged off the west London scum....and that is good enough for me! laugh.png

I'm pleased to note you are maintaining your consistently positive approach. biggrin.png

He slagged off the west London scum....and that is good enough for me! laugh.png

Mate i'm always looking for the positive and I said that ide give him a chance and what the fuc does he do, starts the way he ended things with the media at chelsea. ,You may find it titillating that our managers slagging off his ex club on our time but i dont and frankly it doesnt represents the club in any positive way. The way he handles the press IMO is rather naive , almost clumsy, His english aint perfect and he doesn't answer questions well, he waffles and gets carried away, He should get some training or He should delegate, spread the job around, withdraw himself give himself a little time and smooth himself into the job But no, what the fuc does he do sticks himself right in the midst of things, ABSO NO NEED The pr boys at spurs need a kick up the arse for letting him get away with it. V B ' seems to have such a huge ego and quite frankly it/he needs reigning in cos , imo if he carries on in this way he's gonna do himself and more importantly the club NO GOOD.. Lets just hope he handles the players better, I wish i could see it, I just cant see it, the guys a prick.

Edited by rijit

Mate i'm always looking for the positive and I said that ide give him a chance and what the fuc does he do, starts the way he ended things with the media at chelsea. ,You may find it titillating that our managers slagging off his ex club on our time but i dont and frankly it doesnt represents the club in any positive way. The way he handles the press IMO is rather naive , almost clumsy, His english aint perfect and he doesn't answer questions well, he waffles and gets carried away, He should get some training or He should delegate, spread the job around, withdraw himself give himself a little time and smooth himself into the job But no, what the fuc does he do sticks himself right in the midst of things, ABSO NO NEED The pr boys at spurs need a kick up the arse for letting him get away with it. V B ' seems to have such a huge ego and quite frankly it/he needs reigning in cos , imo if he carries on in this way he's gonna do himself and more importantly the club NO GOOD.. Lets just hope he handles the players better, I wish i could see it, I just cant see it, the guys a prick.

What did he say to slag off Chelsea ? all he basicly said was that he wasn't given enough time, i also find it strange that you that say that he shouldn't be talking to the media but iv'e never heard you critisize saggy chops for all the shit he use to come out with to the media or was that ok ?

Reading something the other day about the new training ground and facilities at Bulls Cross and its being talked about as one of the foremost in the world. Mindyou, for 40m quid i suppose it would be.

On another note, Villas-Boas seems to be settling in well. Good to see he hasn't lost his confidence although i don't want him to put himself under any more pressure than the likes of the Mirror, scum and express are trying to do.

Whether it was wise for him to speak out is another matter,

Criticising him at this point is all so much hot air.

I for one couldn't give two hoots who he upsets, provided he can deliver.

, Yep agreed, if he can deliver then great, What I'm concerned with is that vb is starting to show the same poor judgement that he did at Chelsea, Lets just hope the 'poor judgement' doesn't spill over to his handling of the tactics and the players as it did at Chelsea..

Edited by rijit

Well he will be his own man and do things his way. I think few would argue that he was treated pretty shabbily by Chelsea, and even by today's demanding standards, he wasn't really given a fair crack of the whip.

You can hardly blame him for having a 'pop' at his previous boss, I know I would have done in similar circumstances.

Whether it was wise for him to speak out is another matter, but we're looking for an inspirational, tactically aware manager who is going to deliver positive results while at the same time fielding a team who will entertain us with attractive football; not a politically correct politician who knows when to keep his mouth shut.

In any event he would hardly be the first premiership manager who has shot his mouth off - from Fergie on down...

Criticising him at this point is all so much hot air. Let's see how he does on the field of play and judge him on results, not on what he says to the press in his less than perfect English.

Good post mobi.

He made some mistakes at Chelsea sure and probably trying to remove Lampard too quickly was one of them. However baring in mind he was the victim of a dressing room revolt i don't think his results were that bad.

I reckon the owner got lucky with two fantastic cup results but made the wrong longterm decision.

At the end of the day i was delighted with his appointment but time will tell if it was the right decision. Certainly doesn't look like theres a problem with anyone we'd prefer to keep except Modric who wanted out 18 months ago

, Yep agreed, if he can deliver then great, What I'm concerned with is that vb is starting to show the same poor judgement that he did at Chelsea, Lets just hope the 'poor judgement' doesn't spill over to his handling of the tactics and the players as it did at Chelsea..

What same poor judgement ?

What did he say to slag off Chelsea ?

How comes you never critizised Harry for talking <deleted> to the press ?

Edited by alfieconn

What same poor judgement ?

What did he say to slag off Chelsea ?

How comes you never critizised Harry for talking <deleted> to the press ?

1/ look it up

2/ read the first line of my recent post it starts with 'irrelevant '

3/ work it out your self

1/ look it up

Have done but can't find the answer perhaps you can elaborate

2/ read the first line of my recent post it starts with 'irrelevant

Have read it but it doesn't actually say what he said to slag them off

3/ work it out your self

Sorry i'm a bit thick, can you explain to me !

Supposedly we had a deal in place and agreed with Adebayor, who was about to put pen to paper and then suddenly rich russians come in for a chat.

Really think we have to walk away from him. He's a very good player but a total mercenary and not worth the money.

This leaves us woefully short up front.

Fine example of the problems that the Chelsea/City wages have caused the rest of the leagues other clubs.

Supposedly we had a deal in place and agreed with Adebayor, who was about to put pen to paper and then suddenly rich russians come in for a chat.

Really think we have to walk away from him. He's a very good player but a total mercenary and not worth the money.

Fine example of the problems that the Chelsea/City wages have caused the rest of the leagues other clubs.

Strange carms 39.gif, iv'e just read that it is all done and dusted !

Strange carms 39.gif, iv'e just read that it is all done and dusted !

The whole thing is strange. OGY said so and i posted over a week ago that it was sorted but something seems to have gone wrong. I really can't get tpp upset about Adebayor as he's always been so horribly open about his career being all about money.

Now. moving on to true legends of our club lets all take a bow to Ledley. What a player, and a true one club player.

(Lets also doff our caps to the luckiest central defender in recent english international history. John Terry. How many caps would he have under his belt were it not for Ledley King's knee injury?)

Incidentally do you know whats going on with Gallas? Baring in mind his injuries of the last 18 months i'm not sure he's a luxury we can afford. Baring in mind they are both defenders should we be selling the likes of Naughton and keeping a 35 year old Gallas on a one year contract? I don't think so.