Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Interesting quote from AVB too.

?

Another link? No quote in that Express piece?

Underneath the pic of Chadli.

Big quote mark and the words:

Villas-Boas wants two new strikers, so Spurs spending may not stop with Soldado.

Journalistic licence I guess.

• Like 1

I hope 2 f-- were not gonna have a silly season/month of people posting unsubstantiated and blatantly desperate links from the gutter press , there may be a few on the forum that give them cred', but i'de like to think not the reg's on this thread!!!!! as carmine said stick them elsewhere!!!! Well benteke,twas a shame, but for me the positive's WE WONT BE HELD TO RANSOM, levy values and sticks to it, and 25 after 1 season,abiet a good one, was stronging it,lets see how he does next year"" the bad!!!! blatantly obv our strike force needs refreshing, over to vb. I'm still wondering what the likely outcome of remy's situation is gonna be, but qpr seem to have gone quite on the hooper front, perhaps thats a hint. subject to it all going well, even if we were 2 give qpr a small profit, at current prices it wouldn't be a bad bit of business. Subject to fitness ,given the up in the standard of service he'd get ide have money on him banging in 20 25.

• Like 1

Tottenham touched down in Hong Kong on Monday morning with three new signings on board – sadly for Spurs fans, they all belonged to Manchester City. Strikers Alvaro Negredo, Stevan Jovetic and winger Jesus Navas hitched a lift to the Far East for this week’s Barclays Asia Trophy. And just to emphasise City’s wealth of attacking options, David Silva came along for the ride as well. ...

@footballtshirtuk

hello mate, how tricks? thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Tottenham touched down in Hong Kong on Monday morning with three new signings on board sadly for Spurs fans, they all belonged to Manchester City. Strikers Alvaro Negredo, Stevan Jovetic and winger Jesus Navas hitched a lift to the Far East for this weeks Barclays Asia Trophy. And just to emphasise Citys wealth of attacking options, David Silva came along for the ride as well. ...

@footballtshirtuk

I don't like this post.

SP

Chav

Too much doom and gloom lads. I am very upbeat. Chadli is a great bit of business which adds crucial flexibility to both flanks.

I agree a dedicated striker would be nice but things as they are are not terminal by any means. Bale scored 31 goals last season in all competitions. He scored 21 goals in the Premiership, that is just 5 short of RVP and 2 short of the Biter. He was the third top goal scorer overall. 72% of Bale's goals came from positions inside the box. His figures suggest a fine 'striker' by anybody's standards.

Turning now to Bale's value. The huge valuation is based on goals scored. Just imagine he scored less than 10. What would his value be? 40m maybe. I am sure the Levy level strategy for Bale will be for him to score even more goals this season..... Will that put him up to 100m value? This is all pie in the sky I know, but from the corporate perspective Bale as CF will be the ideal.

Now you can only speculate what a new striker might do. Score 20 + one would hope. But in doing so i suggest Bale is unlikely to score 21 again, so might his value go down accordingly?

Many will pooh pooh this line of thought. I still thing Gareth as our dedicated CF would be the dogs <deleted>.

Too much doom and gloom lads. I am very upbeat. Chadli is a great bit of business which adds crucial flexibility to both flanks.

I agree a dedicated striker would be nice but things as they are are not terminal by any means. Bale scored 31 goals last season in all competitions. He scored 21 goals in the Premiership, that is just 5 short of RVP and 2 short of the Biter. He was the third top goal scorer overall. 72% of Bale's goals came from positions inside the box. His figures suggest a fine 'striker' by anybody's standards.

Turning now to Bale's value. The huge valuation is based on goals scored. Just imagine he scored less than 10. What would his value be? 40m maybe. I am sure the Levy level strategy for Bale will be for him to score even more goals this season..... Will that put him up to 100m value? This is all pie in the sky I know, but from the corporate perspective Bale as CF will be the ideal.

Now you can only speculate what a new striker might do. Score 20 + one would hope. But in doing so i suggest Bale is unlikely to score 21 again, so might his value go down accordingly?

Many will pooh pooh this line of thought. I still thing Gareth as our dedicated CF would be the dogs <deleted>.

I have to strongly disagree.

Bale is one of the best in the world, in his position.

He is untried as a centre forward. But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say he adapts to the position (which I dont think he can). How much would Tottenham then lose from 'the old Bale'. Unless you think Paulinho or Chadl can perform in their position and contribute as much as Bale did last season in that position? Frankly that is nigh on impossible.

You play Bale as an attacking midfielder, you get goals, lots of chances created, and tie up at least 2 of the opposition. The distraction alone, leads to chances being created or other people not being picked up.

He simply will not be able to cause as much havoc as CF, impossible.

• Like 1

I like your optimism Ian.

Two questions.

1. Is a big part of Bale's marketability down to the fact that he pissed all over quality opposition in Europe down the left hand side?

2. He scores blinders from outside the box too. Bigger percentage than other top 'strikers'?

He is untried as a centre forward. But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say he adapts to the position (which I dont think he can). How much would Tottenham then lose from 'the old Bale'. Unless you think Paulinho or Chadl can perform in their position and contribute as much as Bale did last season in that position? Frankly that is nigh on impossible.

You play Bale as an attacking midfielder, you get goals, lots of chances created, and tie up at least 2 of the opposition. The distraction alone, leads to chances being created or other people not being picked up.

Yup I understand your point of view. Bottom line is we NEED to find or nurture another 'Bale' that can do all you mention. We need the quality that Pauliniho, Chadli and maybe Bernard will bring. I think it is a given that Gareth will move on next Summer and Levy will balance the books for the new Stadium. We need to lose the tag of a 'one man team'. Strategically better to do that now, than be in the next Summer window wondering what next.

I like your optimism Ian.

Two questions.

1. Is a big part of Bale's marketability down to the fact that he pissed all over quality opposition in Europe down the left hand side?

2. He scores blinders from outside the box too. Bigger percentage than other top 'strikers'?

Agree totally. I guess my optimism is linked to the fact that we have to think strategically if we are to be championship contenders for years to come and that means life after Bale. We probably only have one more season. When he goes next Summer (?) our midfield will hopefully be the very best in the land and we will have huge bucks to buy a replacement striker.....

Just thinking out loud ...... I know more pooh pooh incoming....Lol. I have my crash helmet on.

Heres my take on things for what its worth! Were almost certainly a 4-3-3 side next season. The back four will have great pace either side with Rose and walker. Kaboul and Vertonghen central. The back three are sorted in Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele. The front three are very interchangeable with two of them comprising of Bale and a choice to suit of Lennon Chabli and Townsend. theres no way and no need for Bale to play a striker role. He'll be roaming from side to side where he'll draw defenders and be most effective shooting from outside the box. In this system we wouldn't necessarily need an out and out striker just a forward that can link up well and knows where the net is. Get the right striker and this will be a very good side.

• Like 2

Heres my take on things for what its worth! Were almost certainly a 4-3-3 side next season. The back four will have great pace either side with Rose and walker. Kaboul and Vertonghen central. The back three are sorted in Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele. The front three are very interchangeable with two of them comprising of Bale and a choice to suit of Lennon Chabli and Townsend. theres no way and no need for Bale to play a striker role. He'll be roaming from side to side where he'll draw defenders and be most effective shooting from outside the box. In this system we wouldn't necessarily need an out and out striker just a forward that can link up well and knows where the net is. Get the right striker and this will be a very good side.

Exactly. big bold fcking capitals mr levy.

Yup, 433, so a centre forward per se not needed, front 3 of Bale (Chadli & Bernard?) would be completely interchangeable across the front providing a real handful. In behind an established 3 in midfield.

So I think Carmine is advocating Bale and another winger + a striker which of course would be perfect.

Whereas I am suggesting alternatively two (any) wingers + Bale would also work well.

For me, get Bernard.

Just a thought here.

How much do these top owners like Abramovich, our own Sheikh, the Glazers, actually MAKE from their football teams?

My guess is that unless every duck lines up re everything, they dont make sh!tloads. Sure they make money, but there is easier money to be made (eg, our Sheilk made just over 2 billion quid in a 5 yr investment in Barclays shares!)

Levy is an astute businessman, that there is no doubt.

If he keeps Spurs as they are, they will probably finish 5th and lose Bale and probably AVB for next season.

If he makes an investment of another 20 million plus uses the money from the sale of your deadwood (probably another 10 million), then there is a good chance they finish 3rd or 4th, and qualify for CL, which means Bale stays.

However, not only would Levy lose out on the money from the sale of Bale, the expectations at Spurs are higher and in order to stay in the top 4, Levy has to dig deepand next year invest even MORE.. If he doesnt there would be a bigger outcry than there is now!!

I dont think Levy can justify to himself, the spending of the money. He is looking at it purely from a financial point of view. Money in, doesnt make enough money coming out.

He has to make it appear to the Spurs fans that he is doing his best, when in fact behind the scenes its smoking mirrors.

I dont know what deal he has got going with the new ground, but it looks to me, an outsider, as if he will take his money and run, next year. Sell Bale and sell the club on the cusp of CL qualification. His outgoings are minimal, but his incomings are huge, especially if he can find a rich buyer.

Thats the only reason I can think of as to why he is always able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with all these 'almost' transfer deals.

And before Rijiit steps in and says Benteke isnt worth 25 million, thats <deleted>. How many of these players are worth what is paid for them? Its the rule of supply and demand. You desperately need a CF. Benteke is young, has scored goals in premiership and at international level, and his club did not want to sell him.... so you pay the premium.

The more I think about it, I think Levy is taking the p!ss.

don't know.

Abramovich has shed loads and wants Chelsea to be successful and global brand. don't think he's doing it to make a profit. So why? ego? My guess is when he meets his maker he can look back and say I'm glad I did that. Same with Mourhino I think. that is why they are powerful.

City? Advert for airline.

Others? I don't know.

Just a thought here.

How much do these top owners like Abramovich, our own Sheikh, the Glazers, actually MAKE from their football teams?

My guess is that unless every duck lines up re everything, they dont make sh!tloads. Sure they make money, but there is easier money to be made (eg, our Sheilk made just over 2 billion quid in a 5 yr investment in Barclays shares!)

If he keeps Spurs as they are, they will probably finish 5th and lose Bale and probably AVB for next season.

If he makes an investment of another 20 million plus uses the money from the sale of your deadwood (probably another 10 million), then there is a good chance they finish 3rd or 4th, and qualify for CL, which means Bale stays.

However, not only would Levy lose out on the money from the sale of Bale, the expectations at Spurs are higher and in order to stay in the top 4, Levy has to dig deepand next year invest even MORE.. If he doesnt there would be a bigger outcry than there is now!!

I dont think Levy can justify to himself, the spending of the money. He is looking at it purely from a financial point of view. Money in, doesnt make enough money coming out.

He has to make it appear to the Spurs fans that he is doing his best, when in fact behind the scenes its smoking mirrors.

I dont know what deal he has got going with the new ground, but it looks to me, an outsider, as if he will take his money and run, next year. Sell Bale and sell the club on the cusp of CL qualification. His outgoings are minimal, but his incomings are huge, especially if he can find a rich buyer.

Thats the only reason I can think of as to why he is always able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with all these 'almost' transfer deals.

And before Rijiit steps in and says Benteke isnt worth 25 million, thats <deleted>. How many of these players are worth what is paid for them? Its the rule of supply and demand. You desperately need a CF. Benteke is young, has scored goals in premiership and at international level, and his club did not want to sell him.... so you pay the premium.

Your doing it again Jack ( Mystic Meg ), your presuming that Levy ain't going to buy a centre forward and you therefore come on here making assumptions on what he is and ain't going to do and his future plans etc for the club all of which would be irevelent if he did actually buy a CF, you come on here telling us where we are going wrong etc when your own club even with all the money they have spent still havn't got things right, so best you put your own house in order before coming on here preaching to us.

Toodle pip back to your own thread and stop boring us.

Footnote :Incidently one large difference Mystic Meg is that Levy doesn't actually own the club like the names you mention.

• Like 1

Just a thought here.

Your doing it again Jack ( Mystic Meg ), your presuming that Levy ain't going to buy a centre forward and you therefore come on here making assumptions on what he is and ain't going to do and his future plans etc for the club all of which would be irevelent if he did actually buy a CF, you come on here telling us where we are going wrong etc when your own club even with all the money they have spent still havn't got things right, so best you put your own house in order before coming on here preaching to us.

Footnote :Incidently one large difference Mystic Meg is that Levy doesn't actually own the club like the names you mention.

Levys Uncle Joe or whoever it is then.

Holy Sh!t mate, how many times do you need to be hit over the head with a lump of concrete before you decide it hurts?

Presuming Levy aint gonna buy a CF? Yes I am, and I am not relying on Mystic Meg!!

For 2 reasons.... 1) Horses for Courses!!. Past Record. He has done this time after time, no reason to think he will change.

2)Who is left?? Maybe I should have said "aint gonna buy a CF who is a proven goalscorer of a reasonable level"

Incidentally before you go getting your knickers in a twist, I simply made an observation and, as an outsider, gave my view . I am not telling you where you are going wrong.

Regarding my team, though not perfect, we won the League and the FA Cup, our first trophies in 40 yrs. We spent the money and we got it right, not ALL right but parts of it right... still a long way to go. But at least we are not treading water.

You want to grow up Alfie. This is a forum, where we air our views and opinions. You dont agree with mine, thats fine. Give me a contra view.

Why do you think Levy is acting like he is? Doesnt seem the norm to me.

Just a thought here.

Levys Uncle Joe or whoever it is then.

Holy Sh!t mate, how many times do you need to be hit over the head with a lump of concrete before you decide it hurts?

Presuming Levy aint gonna buy a CF? Yes I am, and I am not relying on Mystic Meg!!

For 2 reasons.... 1) Horses for Courses!!. Past Record. He has done this time after time, no reason to think he will change.

2)Who is left?? Maybe I should have said "aint gonna buy a CF who is a proven goalscorer of a reasonable level"

Incidentally before you go getting your knickers in a twist, I simply made an observation and, as an outsider, gave my view . I am not telling you where you are going wrong.

Regarding my team, though not perfect, we won the League and the FA Cup, our first trophies in 40 yrs. We spent the money and we got it right, not ALL right but parts of it right... still a long way to go. But at least we are not treading water.

You want to grow up Alfie. This is a forum, where we air our views and opinions. You dont agree with mine, thats fine. Give me a contra view.

Why do you think Levy is acting like he is? Doesnt seem the norm to me.

See my above post Jack.

They have just bought a left winger you know.

we can speculate al we wish about spurs financial intent, the answer is we dont know aboout levy or co's stance, but regarding benteke there has been no statements from the club but what we do know is that a

BASIC LAW OF ECONOMICS seems to apply here SOMETHINGS REAL VALUE, IS WHAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY PAYS FOR IT, IF BENTEKE WAS WORTH 25 MIL someone would of paid it, we didnt and no else did, so what does suggest to you?

As for our spending, its not perfect and it has its limitations but tbh i prefer it 2 be visibly viable and 'controlled' then appearing to be at the whim of every incoming coach or managerial change , hopefully this and the new stad's income will take us steadily forward.

• Like 1

we can speculate al we wish about spurs financial intent, the answer is we dont know aboout levy or co's stance, but regarding benteke there has been no statements from the club but what we do know is that a

BASIC LAW OF ECONOMICS seems to apply here SOMETHINGS REAL VALUE, IS WHAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY PAYS FOR IT, IF BENTEKE WAS WORTH 25 MIL someone would of paid it, we didnt and no else did, so what does suggest to you?

As for our spending, its not perfect and it has its limitations but tbh i prefer it 2 be visibly viable and 'controlled' then appearing to be at the whim of every incoming coach or managerial change , hopefully this and the new stad's income will take us steadily forward.

Fair point, rijiit.

I liken the Benteke situation to the price of petrol.

We all know the price of petrol.

If we are on a journey and are running out of petrol, pull into the petrol station, where the price of petrol is 25% more than it should be.

What do you do? If you carry on in the hope of finding another petrol station, you will probably run out of petrol. Most people would begrudgingly pay the premium price, because its the common sense thing to do, even though you are overpaying.

So right now you boys are on your journey with an empty tank, crossing everything you have that you find another petrol station, first of all that is open for business, and will sell you petrol at the proper price. Good Luck!biggrin.png

Big offer for bale coming in so i am hearing smile.png seriously.

Really 37.gif37.gif37.gif

My thoughts as well.....he must be bored today! rolleyes.gif

You never know, perhaps they are gonna finish building the stadium for usbiggrin.png and throw in Rooney on loan for 3 yearsclap2.gif

tbh i could live with that.