Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Could be all moot because the Mirror reckon Defoe is going to Toronto.

And according to the Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514233/Jermain-Defoe-quit-Tottenham-sign-Toronto.html

That should put a big smile on your face Carminebiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

biggrin.png There seems to be a lot of talk of this doesn't there. Toronto offering a last big pay day to a 30 year old, or at least i think he is. We could do with his 70k per week off our wage bill too. If Defoe is confident he won't be going to the WC he'll be off if they are offering the supposed 100k p/w.

You obviously don't understand what Shot conversion is !

If a player takes a shot (which is what shot conversion is ), it's irrevelent what league he is in, unless the goals are bigger in Spain

Just do the comparison, Alfie, you know what the answer is going to be, don't you?

clap2.gif

You keep having a pop at Soldado, a player in his first season in the premier league, if you had any sortt of football knowledge you'd realise it takes foreign players time to adjust !

At the same time, there are many foreign players who don't need to time to adjust just look at some of City's new recruits. Then there are those that never adjust like Aqau-pissin-lani for one

Very true clap2.gifclap2.gif

Well if nothing else , sunday will give a very clear indication whether he has the dressing or he really has lost it because that is the only circumstances that i could envisage his dismissal. I just can't believe how the same set of "newspapers" have had it in for him from the start and made it so personal. I really hate the English press.

Well if nothing else , sunday will give a very clear indication whether he has the dressing or he really has lost it because that is the only circumstances that i could envisage his dismissal. I just can't believe how the same set of "newspapers" have had it in for him from the start and made it so personal. I really hate the English press.

Don't take it to heart Carmine. You're just flavour of the month, we've been putting up with snide comments for years now, and not just from the press, simply because people think it's Man U so they're fair game. You'll get used to it. it's like water off a ducks back nowwhistling.gif. KEEP SMILING biggrin.pngwai2.gif

Edited by sumrit

Chicoq

Posted Yesterday, 18:41

That's not much of a comparison given that Soldaddudo scored his goals in Spain.

How about, say, their last ten PL appearances?

Chicoq

Posted Yesterday, 20:34

Just do the comparison, Alfie, you know what the answer is going to be, don't you?

clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Posted Yesterday, 21:34

alfieconn, on 27 Nov 2013 - 20:44, said:snapback.png

As a matter of interest give me the shot conversion percentage of both players for the last 11 premier games !

Chicog, on 27 Nov 2013 - 20:34, said:

I'm not correcting your homework for you just because you got it wrong.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

ok well here goes, being as you aint got a clue what you are talking about :

Defoe has only scored 1 goal in his last 10 games

Can't find the figs for shot conversion for the last 10 games but can work it out from the season although might not be 100% correct.

11 goals at 10% conversion equtaes to 110 shots in 35 games : 3.142 shot per game times no of games 10 is 31 shots

therefore shot conversion 1 goal every 31 shots against Soldados 1 goal in 22 shots

Please stop being a dick Chic, coming on here making claims with no facts

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Right lets clear this Defoe thing up once and for all.

Me and carms have probaly seen every game that Defoe has played over the last 3 years and we have no hidden agenda against the guy, while neither of us have our football badges and are not experts,we are able to see the amount of shots he has during a game that are either off target or straight at the goalkeeper, we are also able to see the passing opportunites that he doesn't see and his general lack of build up play, like i said we have nothing against him personally, in fact being a London boy we would have loved him to be the dogs <deleted> thus saving us 26m.

I get a feeling that a lot of the posters praising Defoe on here, base their opinions on

A. just seeing his goals and not the whole game, which i must admit are sometimes spectacular when he smashes one in the roof of the net.

B. just seeing the highlights where they only pick out the good part of what players do.

C. reading his goalscoring stats.

Obviously the management have the same opinion as us as they were desperate to add another forward to the team, so if Defoe was good enough why were they so deserate to get another forward in ? in fact they were so desperate that knowing that they couldn't get a top forward such as Falcao, Suarez, Lewandowski, Cavani, they went for a forward in the second tier of strikers in europe and while they probaly realised that Soldado wasn't the complete forward they obviously thought that he had more to offer than Defoe.

Posters will probaly say "but he scores goals", he scores goals at a ratio of 1 to 8 shots so taking into account the amount of chances our team would be giving him at the moment that wouldn't be many goals ! and if the team start creating more chances then i would rather them chances fell to Soldado who has a lot better conversion rate.

2012/2013

Striker Games Goals Shot Accuracy Shot Conversion

Soldado 35 24 57% 24%

Defoe 34 11 53% 10%

That's not much of a comparison given that Soldaddudo scored his goals in Spain.

If a player takes a shot (which is what shot conversion is ), it's irrevelent what league he is in, unless the goals are bigger in Spain

But it is very relevant where those shots are taken from. I've read (on this forum) quotes/complaints from Tottenham supporters that Soldado needs to have the ball in the box because that's where the vast majority of his shots (and goals) come from but, at present, Tottenham just don't get the ball in there often enough.

Your comparing a player's record when he did get the right kind of service in the box in Spain with a player's record when he didn't get that same service in the EPL. The recent complaints on here from Tottenham supporters (about Soldado's failure to score this season) seems to center around that lack of supply into the box, exactly the same supply you're judging Defoe's record on. That is relevant.

And for me, I've got no axe to grind whatsoever. I don't know or care who is the better striker and I don't favour either of them. I wouldn't want either of them at Man U (unless it's just while they're playing for Tottenham of course), neither, in my opinion are good enough.

I only started posting because Carmine made a few comments about Defoe's record that didn't seem to be that accurate. All I did was post his record. Nothing more, nothing less.

Conversion rate is goals per shots, you obviously don't understand judging from this comment, the figs are from last season, nothing to do with this season, christ it's not rocket science sad.png

But it is very relevant where those shots are taken from. I've read (on this forum) quotes/complaints from Tottenham supporters that Soldado needs to have the ball in the box because that's where the vast majority of his shots (and goals) come from but, at present, Tottenham just don't get the ball in there often enough.

Your comparing a player's record when he did get the right kind of service in the box in Spain with a player's record when he didn't get that same service in the EPL. The recent complaints on here from Tottenham supporters (about Soldado's failure to score this season) seems to center around that lack of supply into the box, exactly the same supply you're judging Defoe's record on. That is relevant.

And for me, I've got no axe to grind whatsoever. I don't know or care who is the better striker and I don't favour either of them. I wouldn't want either of them at Man U (unless it's just while they're playing for Tottenham of course), neither, in my opinion are good enough.

I only started posting because Carmine made a few comments about Defoe's record that didn't seem to be that accurate. All I did was post his record. Nothing more, nothing less.

Conversion rate is goals per shots, you obviously don't understand judging from this comment, the figs are from last season, nothing to do with this season, christ it's not rocket science sad.png

Read my comments properly. When a player has most of his shots from inside the penalty area he's got a lot more chance of scoring than a player who has most of his shots from outside the penalty area (in Defoe's case, he hasn't had the service inside the area).

Therefore a players conversion rate from shots (mostly) inside the area will of course be better than a players conversion rate from shots (mainly) outside the penalty area. It doesn't matter what season you're talking about.

And that's even less like rocket science to understand.

I have no idea whether Soldado is a better striker than Defoe, nor do I care. But, if you want to compare them, at least use figures from a level playing field and not the distorted one you are using at the moment.

Come back at the end of the season and compare Soldado's 'goals per game ratio' and 'conversion rate' after he's had the same 'Tottenham style' service that Defoe has had. I still won't give a s**t but at least you'll have some more accurate figures to prove your point, while Defoe could well be raking it in in Toronto.

I would have to add that a player with more time on the ball and who is closer to the goal has a better chance of producing a better more accurate shot which in turn has a higher chance of converting.

Very true YB

Playing against better defenders in a league which is said to 'give less time' on the ball means that which league it is not irrelevant.

You've lost me there YB facepalm.gif

Are the goals bigger in the Europa league for Defoe

I think they are the same size as in the Premiership YB, but MrRED is usually up to date on the rules and regulation so he might say different

or does he get more time on the ball against worse players and hence I guess have a very good conversion ratio.

Probaly

Hopefullt post #15667 will put the Defoe talk to bed once and for all. Thing is, like commentators who waffle on about him being a :natural goalscorer" or thick clueless hacks looking for a new snide anti AVB slant, you only see the very rare Defoe goal where he blasts it spectacularly into the net. Try taking a look at his overall game and its horrific. AVB knows this

With regards sundays team selection it would be nice to get some news with regards Rose and Capoue in particular. Lack of any news is deafening!

Got to love the way you can get a tiny tott running around doing his homework scrabbling for figures to try and win an argument about something no-one really cares about in relation to two blank-shooting strikers no-one cares about.

You get an A+ for effort Alfie, you mug.

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Read my comments properly. When a player has most of his shots from inside the penalty area he's got a lot more chance of scoring than a player who has most of his shots from outside the penalty area (in Defoe's case, he hasn't had the service inside the area).

Therefore a players conversion rate from shots (mostly) inside the area will of course be better than a players conversion rate from shots (mainly) outside the penalty area. It doesn't matter what season you're talking about.

I have no idea whether Soldado is a better striker than Defoe, nor do I care. But, if you want to compare them, at least use figures from a level playing field and not the distorted one you are using at the moment.

Come back at the end of the season and compare Soldado's 'goals per game ratio' and 'conversion rate' after he's had the same 'Tottenham style' service that Defoe has had. I still won't give a s**t but at least you'll have some more accurate figures to prove your point, while Defoe could well be raking it in in Toronto.

So your saying Defoes 110 shots on goal last season were mostly outside the box ? if yes, perhaps you could direct me to the website or where you obtained the facts, thanks in anticipation.

Got to love the way you can get a tiny tott running around doing his homework scrabbling for figures to try and win an argument about something no-one really cares about in relation to two blank-shooting strikers no-one cares about.

You get an A+ for effort Alfie, you mug.

cheesy.gif

I don't have to do too much running around to win an argument with you chiccy the amount of <deleted> you splurt out biggrin.png

I just hope Soldado and Holtby play at the weekend again.

And your "promising" midfielder Cleverbollocks!

It doesn't really matter who we play against your lot because you are toothless up front with Soldado expect your man to yet again pack the midfield with numbers and try not to concede a goal.

I think the only change will be for Giggsy in the centre and yes it could be Cleverly but most probably Fellaiani.

Changing the subject. Anyone got an expat TV Nano box? Just getting a demo now. Looks ok at first glance for 5k, one and only payment. Sorry for the derail, but this thread is where everyone is at the moment.....and am sick of reading about soldadud vs Defail "banter"55555

I don't want to raise your hopes.....

http://www.givemesport.com/405605-arsenal-should-bring-back-adebayor-in-january?autoplay=on

Jesus they'll write anything for hits won't they? He wouldn't make it past Finsbury Park.

biggrin.png

read something else the other day that we should target Jurgen Klopp. The same Klopp thats just penned an improved five year deal to stay at Dortmund.

Theres some real garbage being thrown about at the moment and a surprising amount of it on herebiggrin.png

• Like 1

Don't take it to heart Carmine. You're just flavour of the month, we've been putting up with snide comments for years now, and not just from the press, simply because people think it's Man U so they're fair game. You'll get used to it. it's like water off a ducks back nowwhistling.gif. KEEP SMILING biggrin.pngwai2.gif

Well Redknapps fan club that comprise of the Daily HateMail, the Scum, and whatever rag employs that penis Adrian Durham have been waging a vendetta against him ever since he joined us. Remember it wasn't his fault that Redknapp got himself sacked. And now we have to listen to posters on here quoting the ludicrous hyperbole spewed out by Durham and that lard arced tub of bearded lard Martin fcukwit Samuels. It just goes on and on with no fact based stuff how do you expect us to take it.

If Redknapp chose to walk away from us with he saw the bookies odds on him getting the England job it was his choice. When he lost out and chose to play hardball with levy over a massive pay rise and contract extension it was also his choice. But whilst 'Arry is there hero an all that what has it got to do with AVB's appointment? The vitriol is totally out of order and is effecting my club so i do take it personally.

You have to remember this vendetta has been going on for over a year now

Edited by carmine

Oh carmine, water off a duck's back mate, The Mirror have had it in for us since Piers "the w*nker" Morgan was sacked. No Gooner buys it any more. There are certain "journalists" who either make up shit to get themselves noticed, or stir it up for the same reason.

That's why I stop reading the papers from the time the transfer window opens until the last day.

What they write is 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% <deleted> (or maybe even a little more).

Edited by Chicog

So your saying Defoes 110 shots on goal last season were mostly outside the box ? if yes, perhaps you could direct me to the website or where you obtained the facts, thanks in anticipation.

Any luck Summy, or was you making a statement without any facts rolleyes.gif

Edited by alfieconn

And Alfie some of your lot who i must say have been absent whistling.gif said taht you would win the league and qualify for the champions league this season top four an all that cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why are you addressing it to me if i didn't say it facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

And you go on the scouse thread giving it large when at the moment they are way ahead of you

A. whats it got to do with you if i go on the scousers thread facepalm.gif

B. so 4 points is way ahead now is it ?

Only two weeks ago you was larging it up over on the United thread clap2.gif a little bit of banter back your way and you get all defensive laugh.png and insulting. laugh.png Let's face it Avb is <deleted> and you are in denial w00t.gif

Man up Red, what are you talking about defensive and insulting, get out of my army biggrin.png

Judging from your above posts Red it seems like your struggling with any sort of argument 30.gif

Any luck on the answers reddy boy ?

Any luck Summy, or was you making a statement without any facts rolleyes.gif

Like I said before, personally I don't give S**T which one of your strikers is the best. Defoe is your striker and both you and Carmine say he's crap. If you want to justify that to everybody else then it's up to you to supply the proof, not for me to supply my information on a player I'm not interested in.

I have repeatedly said I don't know and don't care who the better player is. If you want to prove something nobody is the slightest bit interested in YOU provide the proof.

Soldado might prove to be one of the worlds best strikers, or he might not. I don't care either way, but what I have suggested is that you compare the stats after Soldado has spent a season receiving the same sort of supply from your beloved Tottenham team that Defoe has had.

If then Soldado proves to be a far superior striker you will have the satisfaction of knowing you've proved yourself right..........................to yourself. The rest of us simply don't care!