Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Just now, alfieconn said:

I think you missed out the word "again" carms, anyway don't be so harsh on then ,after all they only net spent 238m in the last 2 seasons against our 20m :passifier:

Seem to remember they had to spend 500m just to catch up on United!!  

Anyway regardless, can't stand people that dish it but cant take it.  He's a big baby!!!!:smile:

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We're telling each straight are we our resident expert flitting across all forums like you know all about all clubs. People are politely ignoring the fact that spurs have won bugger all but you're the cockiest ones here.

About time someone told you straight!

MAJOR HONOURS

Football League Champions: 1950/1951, 1960/1961
The FA Cup Winners: 1900/1901, 1920/1921, 1960/1961, 1961/1962, 1966/1967, 1980/1981, 1981/1982, 1990/1991
Football League Cup Winners: 1970/1971, 1972/1973, 1998/1999, 2007/2008
European Cup-Winners Cup Winners: 1962/1963
UEFA Cup Winners: 1971/1972, 1983/1984
Football League Division Two Champions: 1919/1920, 1949/1950
FA Charity Shield Winners: 1920/1921, 1951/1952, 1961/1962, 1962/1963, 1967/1968 (joint), 1981/1982 (joint), 1991/1992 (joint)

Seems like thats a few more than your big spenders, now run along :cheesy:

• Like 1

"I think you missed out the word "again" carms, anyway don't be so harsh on then ,after all they only net spent 238m in the last 2 seasons against our 20m"

It's all about money and youth with Alfie. With the rest of us it's about what out clubs have won.

And there's no point quoting money to those clubs can afford to spend, to quote Harry Enfield, we and other clubs have "loads of money"!

56 minutes ago, carmine said:

Seem to remember they had to spend 500m just to catch up on United!!  

Anyway regardless, can't stand people that dish it but cant take it.  He's a big baby!!!!:smile:

"He's a big baby" says the one who this year asked me to, quote: "Stop being so mean" - SO MEAN, bloody hell! :post-4641-1156694572:

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"I think you missed out the word "again" carms, anyway don't be so harsh on then ,after all they only net spent 238m in the last 2 seasons against our 20m"

It's all about money and youth with Alfie. With the rest of us it's about what out clubs have won.

And there's no point quoting money to those clubs can afford to spend, to quote Harry Enfield, we and other clubs have "loads of money"!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

How ironic from a man who's club have spent 1 Billion since the current owners took over !

Iv'e  just shown you what our club has one, are you blind or something ? 

Edited by alfieconn

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Seem to remember they had to spend 500m just to catch up on United!!"

Not quite correct, as we had to spend x amount to catch up all the top teams and the doubters on here didn't think the Sheikh could do it - he did!

You are missing the point here and over on the bindippers thread too.

Look at Leeds as the example of a big club crashing down due to poor management at board level.

Liverpool to an extent suffered the same thing due to poor investment and basically being asset stripped by their last owners. Only their decent coaching staff and club manager prevented them dropping further.

The bottom line BB is like at Man Yoo where Fergie and Edwards/Kenyon ran that club very well on both levels.

Look at Tottenham now and ask yourself why you need to spend billions "catching up"?

You don't...you need everything to be working together then you see positive results without wasting all that money.

On that note I'm going to try to forget our midfield purchase last August lol.

Trophies will come Tottenham's way soon as the club are playing great football and are fantastically well run.

You wkuld be hard pressed to find a Spurs fan not delighted to be getting a great new stadium and CL football again.

Expectation plays a part BB but for a true fan seeing all of this positivity on and off the park is terrific.

Man City by comparison don't gel as there are constantly new faces and players there purely for the $$$$ sad to say.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You are missing the point here and over on the bindippers thread too.

Look at Leeds as the example of a big club crashing down due to poor management at board level.

Liverpool to an extent suffered the same thing due to poor investment and basically being asset stripped by their last owners. Only their decent coaching staff and club manager prevented them dropping further.

The bottom line BB is like at Man Yoo where Fergie and Edwards/Kenyon ran that club very well on both levels.

Look at Tottenham now and ask yourself why you need to spend billions "catching up"?

You don't...you need everything to be working together then you see positive results without wasting all that money.

On that note I'm going to try to forget our midfield purchase last August lol.

Trophies will come Tottenham's way soon as the club are playing great football and are fantastically well run.

You wkuld be hard pressed to find a Spurs fan not delighted to be getting a great new stadium and CL football again.

Expectation plays a part BB but for a true fan seeing all of this positivity on and off the park is terrific.

Man City by comparison don't gel as there are constantly new faces and players there purely for the $$$$ sad to say.

BB that's why I say disaster could happen for ya. Europa league still decent though and maybe you need to lift that before you contend with the big boys league. If you won it next season I'm sure you would be happy any team would.

Ronnie
"Look at Tottenham now and ask yourself why you need to spend billions "catching up"?" - would you agree that pre-2008 takeover City were not at the top table; we were a mid-table team who'd just been through the lowest point in our history. Compare spurs were you were say 2008 and now...you were around the top 4-6 I'd guess from memory and you're currently having a good couple of seasons. For City to get from where we were to where we are now we had to splash the cash to attract players - we had to throw money around - we attract the players, win things, move up to be established at the top table. Spurs didn't have to do that. I think people misunderstand City on this point, as though it's been a hit n miss approach to rise higher, it hasn't, the club knew they'd have to spend big to get to where we are and yes there have been bad buys and good buys. You lot are currently doing well with a decent manager and a decent first 11 but you have to start winning trophies or it will just be like the days of Bale, modroc and crouch - decent team who didn't convert wins in to trophies.

"Expectation plays a part BB but for a true fan seeing all of this positivity on and off the park is terrific." Expectation. You're talking to a Man City supporter here. We know all about expectation. You want to try being a City fan during Fergies peak years then you'll know about expectations because that was all we had until the Sheikh came along, bless him.

"Man City by comparison don't gel as there are constantly new faces and players there purely for the $$$$ sad to say." Not quite true. The crux of City's successes these past years has been the same core players of Hughes (Kompany, Zaba and Hart) and Mancinis players (Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Clichy etc) plus some new players every eason or two. The catch 22 is by retaining the same players we now find ourselves having to replace most of them as Pellegrini continued to use most of his predecessor's players. Pep has had to make do with players he doesn't want and will bring in some fresh players in the summer. So we are going through atransitional pperiod which was to be expected and so long as we are there or thereabouts while he rebuilds that's ok. I'm very optimistic about our future.

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ronnie
"Look at Tottenham now and ask yourself why you need to spend billions "catching up"?" - would you agree that pre-2008 takeover City were not at the top table; we were a mid-table team who'd just been through the lowest point in our history. Compare spurs were you were say 2008 and now...you were around the top 4-6 I'd guess from memory and you're currently having a good couple of seasons. For City to get from where we were to where we are now we had to splash the cash to attract players - we had to throw money around - we attract the players, win things, move up to be established at the top table. Spurs didn't have to do that. I think people misunderstand City on this point, as though it's been a hit n miss approach to rise higher, it hasn't, the club knew they'd have to spend big to get to where we are and yes there have been bad buys and good buys. You lot are currently doing well with a decent manager and a decent first 11 but you have to start winning trophies or it will just be like the days of Bale, modroc and crouch - decent team who didn't convert wins in to trophies.

"Expectation plays a part BB but for a true fan seeing all of this positivity on and off the park is terrific." Expectation. You're talking to a Man City supporter here. We know all about expectation. You want to try being a City fan during Fergies peak years then you'll know about expectations because that was all we had until the Sheikh came along, bless him.

"Man City by comparison don't gel as there are constantly new faces and players there purely for the $$$$ sad to say." Not quite true. The crux of City's successes these past years has been the same core players of Hughes (Kompany, Zaba and Hart) and Mancinis players (Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Clichy etc) plus some new players every eason or two. The catch 22 is by retaining the same players we now find ourselves having to replace most of them as Pellegrini continued to use most of his predecessor's players. Pep has had to make do with players he doesn't want and will bring in some fresh players in the summer. So we are going through atransitional pperiod which was to be expected and so long as we are there or thereabouts while he rebuilds that's ok. I'm very optimistic about our future.

Tottenham do not need to spend huge amounts to compete if that is what you are saying by billions? Tottenham's method is adopted by a fair few clubs around the globe. Athletico mad, borrussia and to a less developed level; Southampton.  The remit was different for City. They have a major backer who wanted an immediate transition and similar to Chelsea they achieved it quickly. Tottenham have been more patient and providing they don't cash in too much they should change the hierarchy in N.London for many years to come. 

City have been hampered by not successfully adding quality to their squads to account for ageing players and in that respect it has left Guardiola with a tougher task and will ask questions of him which to date in his career he has not had to answer.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^The points in your 1st para have yet to be concluded as Spurs have done nothing to date and maybe they never will; maybe not spending or being able to spend will be seen as the reason why they won nothing if they win nothing.

Your sense of judgement on success is different to mine.

Every time I watch this team now it is a pleasure and I don't measure that in trophies in the cabinet.

I mentioned the other day what good football Chelsea were playing as well, same I would say of the great Man Yoo and Liverpool teams I have seen.

Man City have yet to build such a team and yes BB I would enjoy watching it but its a long way off.

This Spurs team is far far better than the Bale/Modric era.

18 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Man City have yet to build such a team and yes BB I would enjoy watching it but its a long way off.

Give over Ronnie. Yes City need to tweak, in particular the defence but we play attractive football and never throw 10 men behind the ball, like that club a few miles away just outside Manchester do.

28 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Give over Ronnie. Yes City need to tweak, in particular the defence but we play attractive football and never throw 10 men behind the ball, like that club a few miles away just outside Manchester do.

Better than the Salford lot for sure but your side all too often fails to deliver the goods.

It surprises me that you have made such crazy signings over the last few years, sprinkled with the likes of Silva, Aguero, KDB and of course the terrific prospect Jesus.

However the point remains that you never really have looked like a complete team in spite of some good performances.

Oh and I refuse to give over on such a lovely sunny day.

Are you saying Ronnie that commencing with Mancini's team through to Peps team we don't play attractive football? Part of our problem is that we try to hard to play attractive football when there are times to lockup the shop like Mourinho and others. You've got a decent side these past 2 years but are you not getting a bit carried away?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Are you saying Ronnie that commencing with Mancini's team through to Peps team we don't play attractive football? Part of our problem is that we try to hard to play attractive football when there are times to lockup the shop like Mourinho and others. You've got a decent side these past 2 years but are you not getting a bit carried away?

You're missing the point again.

Your team is always on the "transtion" to becoming a great side.

Too much in and out, when is your much vaunted youth development going to produce a 1st team player?

Never mind a conveyor belt of them.

Just one?? 

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Don't forget he grew up with Scottish football

^"Better than the Salford lot for sure but your side all too often fails to deliver the goods."

Our problem has been that we don't put teams away when we are on top and creating chances (I.e. chelsea, spurs, Arsenal in recent weeks) and we then lose to the other team scoring its one or two chances. It's like we've been watching the same game all season - as Pep says, we're not good enough in the boxes.

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Too much in and out, when is your much vaunted youth development going to produce a 1st team player?

Just one?? 

I'm confused as to the point you are making.

First you talk about our football being far off being enjoyable to watch. I have to totally disagree with that. And then you go onto the youth. Hopefully some youth will come through but it doesn't mean we are playing boring football

^"Better than the Salford lot for sure but your side all too often fails to deliver the goods."

Our problem has been that we don't put teams away when we are on top and creating chances (I.e. chelsea, spurs, Arsenal in recent weeks) and we then lose to the other team scoring its one or two chances. It's like we've been watching the same game all season - as Pep says, we're not good enough in the boxes.

Successful managers don't spend their time making excuses.

They kick the media out and throw boots at their star player. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm confused as to the point you are making.

First you talk about our football being far off being enjoyable to watch. I have to totally disagree with that. And then you go onto the youth. Hopefully some youth will come through but it doesn't mean we are playing boring football

Ok I concede its not that bad but its often not of a free flowing style I love to watch.

Aguero and Silva can be a joy to watch.

When they can be bothered it seems too often.

6 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Just one?? 

When the 5 and  6 year olds  reach the appropriate age :unsure: :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm loving this. Spurs have done well the past 2 seasons without winning anything and now spurs are the benchmark for City (and all other clubs?). Come on, you're getting ahead of yourselves.

No BB the benchmark if you read what I have said is the Liverpool or Man Yoo teams who dominated for a long time respectively.

Nothing changes really and I'm just speculating on what makes a great side sustain that success.

Spurs have the ingredients in place is all I have said, whether it happens is another matter.

17 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

No BB the benchmark if you read what I have said is the Liverpool or Man Yoo teams who dominated for a long time respectively.

Nothing changes really and I'm just speculating on what makes a great side sustain that success.

Spurs have the ingredients in place is all I have said, whether it happens is another matter.

Focus on lifting 1 piece of silverware is where your head should be at you have a lovely plan yes but we will all be long gone before you have the continuity and that's a big if. You wanna hope the big boys leave you alone this summer.

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Focus on lifting 1 piece of silverware is where your head should be at you have a lovely plan yes but we will all be long gone before you have the continuity and that's a big if. You wanna hope the big boys leave you alone this summer.

Not about them leaving us alone.

Our lads need to prove themselves and are all on long term deals I believe bar one who has yet to agree and as that is Toby I hope it happens quickly.

The players are clearly enjoying their football and can smell the trophies we are getting so close.

Oh it is going to happen, of that I have no doubt at all.

Regards selling no one needs to, not the club and not the players needing to move to a bigger club.

They are already at one of the two biggest clubs in the Premiership.

26 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Ok I concede its not that bad but its often not of a free flowing style I love to watch.

But that's exactly how we play......all the time. If anything, we should be accused of playing too free and not shutting up shop when needed. We haven't played defensively against anybody this season, home or away