Villages affected by Akara gold mining operations make four demands to the govt

webfact

Villages affected by gold mining operations make four demands to the government

27-1-2558-17-31-24-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PHICHIT: -- A four-point demand was today submitted to the director-general of Primary Industries and Mines Department by a group of villagers living around the Akara Resources company’s gold mine in Phichit province.

Led the Suekanya Thrachartdamrong, the petitioners demanded that the department disclose the names of all the 250 people found to have high level of heavy metals in their bodies who are to be given medical treatment at the expenses of the mining company.

The three other demands are:

The department must disclose all the information about the deaths and sickness caused by exposure to heavy metals in Phichit, Phitsanuloke and Petchabun provinces since 1997.

To take care of workers in the gold mine who have been left redundant after the suspension of the goldmining operations in order to ease conflict between villagers and the workers who are mostly villagers in the neighbourhood of the gold mine.

The mining company must accept the results of medical tests jointly conducted by the Central Forensic Medicine Institute and Rangsit University on the villagers so that the affected villagers will get help.

About 100 villagers tested positive for heavy metals are to undergo detoxification treatment with the help of Phichit health office during February 14-15. The affected residents will also given a briefing on proper eating and living to prevent themselves from being exposed to the toxic chemicals again.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/villages-affected-gold-mining-operations-make-four-demands-government

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-27