Luang Prabang Laos

northernjohn

Son coming over in March. Considering a trip to Luang Prabang. Never been to Laos

would appreciate any suggestions.

Where to stay Like what area in town is the best. Looking for medium rate rooms.

With a swimming pool.

Would their be good places for dining in the area.

Both Western and Thai of course Lao also.

Considering flying in as the bus from every thing I have heard is a long time in transit

from here to the border and from the border to Luang Prabang.

Will Thai money be OK.

Best to convert here or there. I have ATM card for Canadian bank would it work in Laos?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Yeah, it's a REALLY small town. I call it the Santa Barbara of Asia. Great for a weekend getaway from Chiang Mai. Great French food and wine. Google and Agoda will tell you a lot of what you want to know. There is a main street with most of the restaurants. A short walk from top to bottom and a scan of each's menu will also tell you all you need to know. Tons of western / French restaurants. Hotels are not cheap and few have pools, but Agoda will sort that out for you as well.

edit: They will take Baht for everything AND the best place to buy airfare is directly from the Lao Airlines office off of Huay Khaew road across from the Shell station. Major savings off of the online rates. Like $100 savings on return flight...

Edited by kilt
  • Like 1

A friend stayed here last week.

muangthonghotel.com

I think they bought it as a package with Lao Air (as they seem to have check in right at the hotel)

If you are looking for something with a pool it is a pretty nice place

• Like 1

Check around for hotel rates because they seem to fluctuate wildly.

My friends paid under 2000 Bt for the Muangthong

I have lots more time to look around but so far it would seem it is expensive. 2,100 baht plus over 400 baht for services and tax at the cheap ones. One looked real good but a review made it sound like it was a major chore to get around. some thing about two ferries.

They all seem to include breakfast was wondering if they were a decent sized one. Stayed at a nice place in Bali that had breakfast included. Either a big flat pancake or two egg omelet.

Never been to Vientiane either but sounds like not much for a tourist place. More like a place just to get a Visa.

I have lots more time to look around but so far it would seem it is expensive. 2,100 baht plus over 400 baht for services and tax at the cheap ones. One looked real good but a review made it sound like it was a major chore to get around. some thing about two ferries.

They all seem to include breakfast was wondering if they were a decent sized one. Stayed at a nice place in Bali that had breakfast included. Either a big flat pancake or two egg omelet.

Never been to Vientiane either but sounds like not much for a tourist place. More like a place just to get a Visa.

Vientiane is a friendly city with lots of old French mansions, flower lined streets and lots of noodle stalls. Go around the Nam Phu area and the Mekong riverside, plus Setthariat St and Samsenthai St. Visit Buddha Park and the morning market where you will find a lot of French food. Yes, Vientiane is a place to get a visa, because that's all people writing on here do there, i.e drinking beer, sitting bored and waiting in a cool room, frightened to spend any extra money to explore, pining for the safety of the girlfriend in Chiang Mai where they can resume their hansum man status and know what the price of a large Chang is.

• Like 1

Vientiane is a friendly city with lots of old French mansions, flower lined streets and lots of noodle stalls. Go around the Nam Phu area and the Mekong riverside, plus Setthariat St and Samsenthai St. Visit Buddha Park and the morning market where you will find a lot of French food. Yes, Vientiane is a place to get a visa, because that's all people writing on here do there, i.e drinking beer, sitting bored and waiting in a cool room, frightened to spend any extra money to explore, pining for the safety of the girlfriend in Chiang Mai where they can resume their hansum man status and know what the price of a large Chang is.

Thank you for your information. I am defiantly looking for a place with some tourist attractions. The boy say's he wants to watch his budget this year. That let's out most of the hotels I have seen so far.