How to sell a bike?

Moobahn

Seems really easy but when we came to buy a bike the foreign owner signed the green book, signed the transfer document, gave us signed copies of passport and a letter of residence.

When we went to transfer the bike the transportation department told us the letter of residence was a copy and it stated in Thai that this document is issued for applying for a drivers license NOT selling a bike.

WE asked for a new letter of residence and when he got back to us he told us that his embassy would not supply this letter because he's registered in his home country.

Also immigration would not supply this letter because the new requirement requires you to do 90 days reporting which he can't do because he's on a multiple NON ED visa. Has to leave withing 90 days anyway.

Has anyone got a clue how the owner can sell his bike?

Looking for genuine help! Please spare me answers like bring the bike back and get money returned.

Forget the embassy.

I got a Residency Certificate an hour ago at immigration.

90 day reporting has nothing to do with it as far as I can ascertain.

Evidence of residence,

passport copies,

appropriate form filled out correctly,

2 photos, 300baht ==> ResCert in an hour.

IMO the seller is misinformed or is jacking you around.

Does the Certificate Of Residence really have a "purpose" written on it? IIRC it only confirms the place you live at and is not "for selling a bike" or "for applying for a license".

I had a few certificates issued which I used to make a license aswell as buy a bike. I didn't even tell the Immigration officer what it was for.

I did all that on a Tourist Visa which has no 90 day reporting anyways...

1/ post number 2, has the answer find a Mr fixer, try an agent/ motorcycle shop that deals with vehicle tax and transfers

2/ Leave it in his name, can tax bike every year, lots of westerners do this

3/ get him to sort it

4/ Cry

Letter of residence or proof of address is not normally needed by the seller when selling in the same province (the province on the number plate). It is needed when changing province though.

90 day reporting has nothing to do with it. Proof of address is proof of address, why does it matter what it's for?

If you are trying in the same province as the plate then maybe go on a different day to get a different staff member.

If outside the province then try going to the office in the same province as the plate.

(If all else fails) Definitely approach a local dealer, they have contacts and should get it pushed through, for a fee.

when i sold my bike here, they never asked anything apart from my passport from me.

so does the seller need to present one letter of residence or work permit now? it was not like this before.

Iirr i had to give copy of passport, copy of visa and copy of work permit stating the address when selling my last bike. And this was 2.5 years ago. Buyer was not able to register without these papers in Bangkok. But who knows, some say this some say that...

> Does the Certificate Of Residence really have a "purpose" written on it?

Of course not, but many people like to write such things on copies before handing it over to others.

and anyway, if you keep the bike and tax and insure it under your name for 5 years, you can claim the bike and get a greenbook in your name at DMV easily.

Only thing is, you cannot sell it until your name is in the book but can sell it by explaining the new owner and of course you cut the price a bit.

check the traffic rad tape shops - the ones with traffic symbols - too, they know people and make it for you without even showing the bike sometime.

Edited by ll2

when i sold my bike here, they never asked anything apart from my passport from me.

so does the seller need to present one letter of residence or work permit now? it was not like this before.

Iirr i had to give copy of passport, copy of visa and copy of work permit stating the address when selling my last bike. And this was 2.5 years ago. Buyer was not able to register without these papers in Bangkok. But who knows, some say this some say that...

Of course not, but many people like to write such things on copies before handing it over to others.

They absolutely have a pupose in pattaya immigration. Buying, selling and drivers license.

They absolutely have a pupose in pattaya immigration. Buying, selling and drivers license.

Probably depends on a place where one obtains RC.

I went to immigration in BBK and was told to go to my embassy as they couldn't provide me RC because I don't do 90 days reports. My (Canadian) embassy asked me what I need the RC for (vehicle purchase) and gave me the appropriate document stating it was for the vehicle purchase. While at the embassy, I met another Canadian who needed RC for DL and his document said it was fit the DL.

OK, sorry then. I have a Certificate Of Residence from my embassy and there is no purpose on it. And if i make a copy of my work permit there is of course also no purpose. But maybe if you get it from Immigration? I dont know, so i better keep quiet now smile.png

Edited by wantan

A few days ago I obtained 3 CRs @ Jomtien/Pattaya immigration.

On the app I stated purposes:

1. buy motorcycle

2. sell motorcycle

3. apply for tambien ban [yellow book]

All three CRs were identical; not purpose iterated.

Probably depends on a place where one obtains RC.

I went to immigration in BBK and was told to go to my embassy as they couldn't provide me RC because I don't do 90 days reports. My (Canadian) embassy asked me what I need the RC for (vehicle purchase) and gave me the appropriate document stating it was for the vehicle purchase. While at the embassy, I met another Canadian who needed RC for DL and his document said it was fit the DL.

Thanks for all the replies!

The seller is facing the same problem. Chaeng wattana Immigration doesn't provide RC because of the 90 days reporting. Department of transport request a RC for selling the bike. My secretary explained the situation but they say it's not their problem. The German embassy won't give an RC because he's still registered in Germany. The old RC the seller obtained before at Chaeng Wattana when he still had a work permit stated clearly for what purpose it was issued. I will try and see if a bike shop can help with this else it's going to be a never ending story. I will share the way to do it once it worked out. In the mean time if someone has any more ideas or experiences please share as well.

• 3 months later...

Some useful info here. I'm looking for some info on a related topic. Any help gratefully received!

I am buying a secondhand scooter, Honda Click, from a foreigner who is leaving the country. I will put it in my wife's name as it just seems a lot easier with regard to docs needed.

1 - Does the 'seller' have to be present when my wife and I take the bike to get it registered in her name? Or is there a way around this as he is leaving the country soon.

2 - What docs does the wife need to take? Her house blue book and ID or anything else?

Many thanks

Better & smarter if seller goes but not absolutely necessary.

1. Seller passport face page and current visa page copies, signed in blue ink.

2. Vehicle transfer form & power of attorney form properly filled out & signed by seller.

3. Current Res Cert or WP or ED permit from seller.

4. Green book properly signed by seller in blue ink.

5. Her ID.

Edited by papa al