The Lost Souls of Thailand's Full-Moon Parties

Jonathan Fairfield

To describe had rin as an idyllic beach, makes me wonder how much traveling the writer has done. And in terms of good beach party action, Goa makes had rin look like a slum carnival.

Went to quite a few parties in the jungle in Anjuna and Vagator Goa in the early 90's - awesome.

Then went a full moon party at Had Rin in 1995 - bl00dy awful.

Before the wide spread invention of lap tops, internet / emails and tablets.

Now the only parties I go to are connected with children's birthdays - being old git an all.

To describe had rin as an idyllic beach, makes me wonder how much traveling the writer has done. And in terms of good beach party action, Goa makes had rin look like a slum carnival.

Went to quite a few parties in the jungle in Anjuna and Vagator Goa in the early 90's - awesome.

Then went a full moon party at Had Rin in 1995 - bl00dy awful.

Before the wide spread invention of lap tops, internet / emails and tablets.

Now the only parties I go to are connected with children's birthdays - being old git an all.

I was there in the early 90's too. Now, those were parties. The music was amazing. I have yet to encounter Dan great and really create DJ in Thailand, in all the years I have been here. My feeling is, there is just something very "unhip" about Thailand. It tries. But, there is no real hipness factor anywhere to be found. It all feels very contrived. It is not a big issue for me, as I am past the days of all night parties. But, I can still recognize a hip scene when I see one. KP has some hipness, unlike Samui, which is maybe the least hip place on earth. Now, Goa back in the day? That was a scene. I remember leaving one New Year's Eve party at 7am. There was a line of cars trying to get in, that might have been 7 miles long. Amazing music, crowds, food, etc. Funky baby!

• Like 1

I went when I was 22 and it was just plain awful. People off their heads on drugs. People pissing in the sea 'cos they were too lazy to go to toilet or didn't wanna pay the 5 Baht fee.

When younger people I know visit and ask if it's any good, I tell them not to bother unless they enjoy making <deleted> of themselves. I've never liked the whole backpacker scene. Being tight with your cash I get. Dressing like a hobo and stinking of BO does not endear you to the locals. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? If there are any locals who look and smell like many backpackers, it's not through <deleted> choice! It's actually just offensive and ignorant.

Oh, and when did being the loudest, craziest and most inconsiderate prick become cool?

To each their own. Rant over.

Agree with much of this.

Just to add that when I was back packing 5 years ago, most back packers I met weren't slumming it, not even close (an I inlcude myself in that). Most had their laptops, Mac books, iPhones, expensive cameras, etc.

It quickly became apparent to me that most backpackers think that slumming it is staying in a guesthouse which doesn't have a Wi-Fi connection.

Most of these beach bungalows that backpackers are so eager to stay in and which they class as being at the lower end of the accomodation scale in Thailand actually have air con and a maid cleaning them everyday, hardly slumming it.

After living in Thailand for a few years now, experience has taught me that backpackers must spend an absolute fortune here. They end up paying 150Baht for stuff like Pad Thai, fried rice or banana pancakes just because they don't know any better and still think they're getting a good deal having only ever eaten Pad Thai at double the price at some Thai restaurant in their home country.

They must be easy pickings for the rip-off merchants and mafia parasites on places like Koh Tao. Easy pickings.

You guys are all missing the real fun of the backpackers (and old letches in go-go bars)

When you get talking to them, and they ask you to help them learn some Thai, teach them something completely different instead...

For instance, a 60-odd year old guy in Udon Thani once started talking to me in a bar; he had been living in Thailand for 25 years (ive been here 2 1/2) and he admitted that he 'can't even say a sentence in Thai' and asked me what to say to a particular girl at the bar who he thought was beautiful... Looking at the girl (who was easily between 18-23) I did the right thing and helped him and told him to say:

'Pom chawp deurm nam asoojee katouey'.

Hilarity ensued as the clueless old duffer then proudly admitted to the whole bar, with his brand new vocabulary, that he likes to drink ladyboy semen...

See... So much fun to be had!

I went when I was 22 and it was just plain awful. People off their heads on drugs. People pissing in the sea 'cos they were too lazy to go to toilet or didn't wanna pay the 5 Baht fee.

When younger people I know visit and ask if it's any good, I tell them not to bother unless they enjoy making <deleted> of themselves. I've never liked the whole backpacker scene. Being tight with your cash I get. Dressing like a hobo and stinking of BO does not endear you to the locals. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? If there are any locals who look and smell like many backpackers, it's not through <deleted> choice! It's actually just offensive and ignorant.

Oh, and when did being the loudest, craziest and most inconsiderate prick become cool?

Agree with much of this.

Just to add that when I was back packing 5 years ago, most back packers I met weren't slumming it, not even close (an I inlcude myself in that). Most had their laptops, Mac books, iPhones, expensive cameras, etc.

It quickly became apparent to me that most backpackers think that slumming it is staying in a guesthouse which doesn't have a Wi-Fi connection.

Most of these beach bungalows that backpackers are so eager to stay in and which they class as being at the lower end of the accomodation scale in Thailand actually have air con and a maid cleaning them everyday, hardly slumming it.

After living in Thailand for a few years now, experience has taught me that backpackers must spend an absolute fortune here. They end up paying 150Baht for stuff like Pad Thai, fried rice or banana pancakes just because they don't know any better and still think they're getting a good deal having only ever eaten Pad Thai at double the price at some Thai restaurant in their home country.

They must be easy pickings for the rip-off merchants and mafia parasites on places like Koh Tao. Easy pickings.

You guys are all missing the real fun of the backpackers (and old letches in go-go bars)

When you get talking to them, and they ask you to help them learn some Thai, teach them something completely different instead...

For instance, a 60-odd year old guy in Udon Thani once started talking to me in a bar; he had been living in Thailand for 25 years (ive been here 2 1/2) and he admitted that he 'can't even say a sentence in Thai' and asked me what to say to a particular girl at the bar who he thought was beautiful... Looking at the girl (who was easily between 18-23) I did the right thing and helped him and told him to say:

Hilarity ensued as the clueless old duffer then proudly admitted to the whole bar, with his brand new vocabulary, that he likes to drink ladyboy semen...

So you use that sentence alot DJ? wink.png

Yes Goa now you talking about a proper party.

A pal of mine still lives there and comes back UK in summertime to work Security for me at some of the big music Festivals then goes back.around September.

I have been intrigued with the idea of going to Goa for a little while now, however India seems pretty messed up, the roads more dangerous than here and the pollution there is bad to name 2 things. Have you ever been?

Yes Goa now you talking about a proper party.

A pal of mine still lives there and comes back UK in summertime to work Security for me at some of the big music Festivals then goes back.around September.

I have been intrigued with the idea of going to Goa for a little while now, however India seems pretty messed up, the roads more dangerous than here and the pollution there is bad to name 2 things. Have you ever been?

I went in late 90s. Good for a few weeks chilling but wouldnt want to live there. Saying that there is a large expat community there.And very cheap to live as i say my friend and his missus love it there. They earn enough in 3 months of working in UK to live there the rest of the year.

These parties are the lowest of the low. Crap noise, they call it music is played overly loud. Disgusting, drunk zombies everywhere, drunk sl@ts grabbing my d@$k without permission. People must be out of their mind if this is how they try to have fun.

Agree with much of this.

So you use that sentence alot DJ? wink.png

Every now and then, I also like to get people to saw 'Chawp chuck wow kwaii' (I like to wank off buffalo)...

Depends who I am talking to and how mischievous/belligerent I am feeling at the time :D

I went to a Full Moon Party five years ago when I was 25, when I first came to Thailand and it was pretty much exactly like the pics in the OP.

It gets a lot of criticsim about drug taking and anti-social behaviour etc.

But I didn't think it was actually that bad. Sure, drug taking was widespread and quite open but it was no worse than say when I went to Glastonbury or Leeds music festival, in the UK.

My main problem with the Full Moon Party was that it just wasn't very good, well overhyped with terible music, over priced drinks and full of idiots dressed in flourescent clothing and face paint.

Accomodation prices on the island doubles whenever the Full Moon party is on, it's basically just one big rip off.

if it causes so many problems the govt in Thailand could just stop it but it's too much of a money spinner ripping off backpackers!

Glad I went to it, but I wouldn't go back, it's crap! Too old now anyway!

So you went five years ago, when you was 25. You think you're too old now ? What !! smile.png

No, I don't think I'm too old. 30 isn't old but it is to go to the Full Moon Party in my opinion given that just about everyone there is between 18 and 25. You wouldn't attend Freshers Week or Schoolies (if you're in Oz) when you were in your 30s would you? It's a bit sad.

Now something like Glastonbury or Warehouse Project, I'm up for. I'm just not up for getting drunk on alco-pops and covering my myself in day-glo facepaint. Those days have been and gone unfortunately.

Edited by pinkpanther99