British Passport Renewal

If you know a family member or friend in BKK, you could write a proxy letter giving the name of the person you want authority to pick it up on your behalf. I did this just before December. I wrote the letter with the name of the person. Put the documents handed to me from Trendy for pick-up and my old passport in an envelope. I sent it to my wife's sister by EMS to her house in BKK. She just had to make a copy of her ID to match with the name I put in the proxy letter and show it to them. She was able to collect and send back to me without myself having to go all the way back to BKK. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but isn't the old passport that you are walking around with now automatically cancelled (regardless of whether it has expired) when a new passport is issued? I would make the effort to pick it up straight away. Seems like an accident waiting to happen to me.

• Like 2

Don't wait, you could well lose your new passport.

Correct, if trendy have held the passport unissued for more than 4 weeks then they will send it back to the UK to be eventually destroyed.

Even though it is not mentioned on the HMPO UK Web site (or for that matter published HMPO policy), you can appoint someone else to collect on your behalf in BKK; they need to take the following:

1) The 'receipt' paperwork trendy gave you to at your application 'appointment'.

2) Letter of Authorisation from you.

3) Their Photo ID.

4) Your old passport for cancellation.

Your only other option is to beg trendy to give you more time, but they are not known for their willingness to answer the phone (plus no land line or mobile numbers are published).

Edited by digitalchromakey

I have to renew my British Passport this year, it has been stated that once you obtain a New Passport the old one is automatically cancelled, if that is the case so is the Extension of stay within, does anyone really know if that is the case, i was led to believe that a new passport was issued without cancellation of the old one which allowed time for Extension of stay to be transferred to the new passport.

I have to renew my British Passport this year, it has been stated that once you obtain a New Passport the old one is automatically cancelled, if that is the case so is the Extension of stay within, does anyone really know if that is the case, i was led to believe that a new passport was issued without cancellation of the old one which allowed time for Extension of stay to be transferred to the new passport.

When you apply for a replacement UK Passport at VFS trendy in BKK the old passport will be set by HMPO as invalid for international travel, the passport is not marked in any way, so any extension of permission to stay you may have remains valid.

When you collect your replacement passport in BKK, they cut of the top RHS front/rear exterior cover corner but the pages inside are untouched and any visas, etc. remain valid.

Thai Immigration will transfer any extensions/re-entry permits you may have to your new passport FOC (in some regions immigration insist on having the British Embassy Bangkok Passport stamp transfer Pro Forma document).

A passport being cancelled does not cancel any valid visa, extension and etc that is in it. Those remain valid until they expire.

In the case of a valid visa you use both passports until the visa expires.