Things to do in CM

MZurf

We are spending a few days in CM in March and wonder what activities (apart from golf) the local expats would recommend for a fairly active group of people? I'm thinking about activities like "Fishing, Sea kayaking, Canoeing, White Water Kayaking, Canoeing, White Water Rafting, Beach, Mountain Biking, Cycling, Trekking, Hiking, Elephant Riding, Rock Climbing, 4WD, Off-Road Driving" (this is just copy and paste from the TAT website).

We are particularly interested in fishing (but no fishing parks). Any advice would be most welcome.

Might struggle with sea kayaking (rolleyes.gif), but a lot of those are doable (using CM as a base). Not much white water this time of year but trekking, elephants and rock climbing are fine. For a buzz, I recommend renting some mountain bikes and blasting down Doi Suthep. Cycle time to temple is 40-60 mins depending on fitness. If some are not so fit, you can throw the bikes on a songthaew (red truck) and get a lift up.

Missed the fishing bit. There's several reservoirs within reach. Might try looking at something like Dreamlake.

Edited by daveAustin

Chiang Mai is known for its hundreds of temples, arts and crafts markets, festivals (like the flower festival next weekend), and there are authentic hill tribe villages in the mountains surrounding the town, without electricity and accessible only by foot, so at least the older generation there hasn’t become westernized.

We also have an elephant rescue and rehabilitation center here, it’s home to some of the many elephants that have been used for carrying around tourists.

So given your list of desired activities, are you sure CM is where you want to go?

If you are serious about going then I would recommend going to one of the tour shops and hire a guide with car and have him arrange a tour for you with the activities you want, as you need a car to get to the national parks where you can do trekking, mountain biking, and possibly rock climbing.

There is no beach here, and only one river for white water rafting which is probably not that exciting in March.

You're welcome to join us at the Chiang Mai Fencing Club. Foil, Epee. Sabre. No experience needed, equipment provided (unless one is 3XL) All ages welcome.

I can guarantee it's more exciting than golf... safer than ping pong... takes more thinking than chess...moves as fast as boxing without the pain... and is FREE....

We meet Saturday afternoon and various times during the week at our Fencing Salle near Wat Ched Yot. Message me for details.

I think considering that the OP has only received 3 replies to his post since yesterday, says a lot about what there is to do in Chiang Mai.

Try this site here:

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/

It may help.

THere are a LOT of great things to do in Chiang Mai (which DON'T involve alchohol or girls)...and a hundred and one tourism websites that tell us what the possibilities are...

....all you need to do is READ THEM! That way, you don't get loads of sarcastic comments when you raise the subject!

All the activities the OP mentioned in the OP can be done many places in the world.

How about somethings that focus more on Thailand and Thais, do you have any interest in that OP or is this just another venue for your chosen outdoor activities?

I think considering that the OP has only received 3 replies to his post since yesterday, says a lot about what there is to do in Chiang Mai.

Try this site here:

It may help.

THere are a LOT of great things to do in Chiang Mai (which DON'T involve alchohol or girls)...and a hundred and one tourism websites that tell us what the possibilities are...

....all you need to do is READ THEM! That way, you don't get loads of sarcastic comments when you raise the subject!

No point in getting the huff with me, it`s the OP`s inquiries you should be addressing.

So please help the OP out and explain to him where he can find the hidden wonders of Chiang Mai. I would also like to know myself?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Flight of the Gibbon -- very well regarded -- offers a two day adventure package with options that include rafting, biking, kayaking, rock climbing, caving, Segway tours of Chiang Mai, homestay and golf. http://www.treetopasia.com/thailand-holiday/chiang-mai

Tiger Trail Thailand has trekking, cycling and walking tours plus something they call tribal immersion which is a four-day private package http://www.tigertrailthailand.com/ I would think you could explain your interest in fishing and they could arrange for you to fish with local tribal peoples.

• Like 2

Try this site here:

It may help.

Without details like age, sex and fitness levels, pretty pointless replying.

Heaps to do in and around CM.

Three day trek in the jungle around Doi Inthanon for the fairly fit (inc elephant ride and river raft), about $50 p/p inc food and accom.

One day MTB down Doi Pui, about $50 p/p inc bike and transport up.

One/two day at Mae Ngat reservoir (Eakachai resort), lunch at the floating restaurant, kayaking, swimming, overnight floating rooms.

From soapy massage to temples to downhill MTB.

By the way,

Flight of the Gibbon is one of the most pointless double priced tourist trap rip-offs in the world IMHO.

To be avoided at all costs.

Rock climbing is excluded from most tourist insurance policies, have an accident and you're on your own.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Try this site here:

It may help.

I've visited a great many sites already but few offer any sensible advise. I did in desperation go to the TAT website, but as expected they make it sound like we will receive a complimentary BJ on arrival and then it just goes uphill from there.

What I'm after is expat advise regarding what activities are tourist traps and what are worth the effort and money. Local knowledge is invaluable. I see that all the time when people ask about activities in and around Pattaya (where I live). I know of lots of stuff you can do that is not easily discovered just by googling.

What I'm after is filling some non-golfing days with "meaningful" activities. It could be mountain biking and it could also be a visit to a great temple.

I've visited a great many sites already but few offer any sensible advise. I did in desperation go to the TAT website, but as expected they make it sound like we will receive a complimentary BJ on arrival and then it just goes uphill from there.

What I'm after is expat advise regarding what activities are tourist traps and what are worth the effort and money. Local knowledge is invaluable. I see that all the time when people ask about activities in and around Pattaya (where I live). I know of lots of stuff you can do that is not easily discovered just by googling.

What I'm after is filling some non-golfing days with "meaningful" activities. It could be mountain biking and it could also be a visit to a great temple.

Really nice thing to do is rent a bicycle, then just head up or down river, there's some really good stuff to see.

Huay Tung Tao lake for lunch is quite nice (lots of locals do it), same entrance fee for everyone (20bht), and maybe a walk in the hills up to the local waterfall.

Walk up the pilgrims trail to Wat Palaat, then beyond to Wat Doi Suthep, if you have the energy.

How about a long tail boat ride up the river, not too expensive.

Picnic and swimming in the river at Ob Kahn national park (free entrance).

Only this week I cycled into town from Hang Dong, and found this temple in a little back street.

attachicon.gif2015-01-29 13.01.35.jpg

There is extensive hiking trails in the mountains, plenty of paddy fields with farm tracks to cycle along.

Thanks - that's the kind of local knowledge/info I'm talking about!

Try this site here:

It may help.

Then I'd doubly recommend microlighting at Doi Saket. The temple at Doi Saket is on a hill and is very pleasant to walk around, then you can fly around it in the afternoon (although depending on the weather sometimes they only fly in the mornings).

You can ride a bicycle up to Mae Tang where you can visit some elephant camps and go rafting. From there you could bicycle the next day to Chiang Dao to visit the caves. You could also bicycle south to Mae Win for the same activities. There are now countless ziplines that will pick you up and drop you off and include other activities.

I order to save the OP - and other upstanding membersbiggrin.png (myself included) from embareassment smile.png, perhaps we could develop an updated list of avoidable naughty massage parlors?biggrin.png

Hey, after living more than two decades in Pattaya PFP is definitively not on my to do list while in CM, or any other place for that matterbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Really nice thing to do is rent a bicycle, then just head up or down river, there's some really good stuff to see.

Huay Tung Tao lake for lunch is quite nice (lots of locals do it), same entrance fee for everyone (20bht), and maybe a walk in the hills up to the local waterfall.

Walk up the pilgrims trail to Wat Palaat, then beyond to Wat Doi Suthep, if you have the energy.

How about a long tail boat ride up the river, not too expensive.

Picnic and swimming in the river at Ob Kahn national park (free entrance).

Only this week I cycled into town from Hang Dong, and found this temple in a little back street.

attachicon.gif2015-01-29 13.01.35.jpg

There is extensive hiking trails in the mountains, plenty of paddy fields with farm tracks to cycle along.

Looks like Chedi Lheam

• Like 1

As has been said before there are some good cycling activities to be had, some a re pretty extreem but there is also an very good river level one run by Chiang Mai Biking. Or just get out on a bike and go. There is also zip lines if you are into that. Then there is rainforest canopy adventure at flight of the gibbon. Elephant centres and trekking are many and varied plus check out the x centre website.

Try this site here:

It may help.

Without details like age, sex and fitness levels, pretty pointless replying.

Heaps to do in and around CM.

Three day trek in the jungle around Doi Inthanon for the fairly fit (inc elephant ride and river raft), about $50 p/p inc food and accom.

One day MTB down Doi Pui, about $50 p/p inc bike and transport up.

One/two day at Mae Ngat reservoir (Eakachai resort), lunch at the floating restaurant, kayaking, swimming, overnight floating rooms.

From soapy massage to temples to downhill MTB.

By the way,

Flight of the Gibbon is one of the most pointless double priced tourist trap rip-offs in the world IMHO.

To be avoided at all costs.

Rock climbing is excluded from most tourist insurance policies, have an accident and you're on your own.

Flight of the Gibbon has won many accolades for safety, environmental awareness, hiring of local people, and training. A simple Google search will reveal how well-regarded the company is.

For something like an adventure experience, you don't want to use trust your life the the lowest cost, newest company.

As for the lack of insurance coverage with some adventure experiences -- definitely worth looking at your policy and asking the adventure company if they have recommendations if the activity is specifically excluded from your travel insurance policy.

You're welcome to join us at the Chiang Mai Fencing Club. Foil, Epee. Sabre. No experience needed, equipment provided (unless one is 3XL) All ages welcome.

I can guarantee it's more exciting than golf... safer than ping pong... takes more thinking than chess...moves as fast as boxing without the pain... and is FREE....

We meet Saturday afternoon and various times during the week at our Fencing Salle near Wat Ched Yot. Message me for details.

Anythings more exciting than golf, oh sorry, darts and snooker aren't.

I recommend surfing at Chiang Mai Beach,can catch some huge waves 6-10ft,Chiang Mai has some wonderful snorkeling places just on the coast,and fishing for Marlin?look no further.Chiang Mai has it all.Chiang Mai is world famous for their friendly Karaoke bars,well worth a visit.tongue.pngwai2.gif