Bullying in Thai schools?

rexall

Having 1 6 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl it also crosses my mind but to be honest i dont think they will get it any worse than thai v thai, saying that iv just enrolled my son in ju jitsu lessons incase it happens in the future and my daughter will do the same at 6

because violence solves any problem...

in general marshal arts teaches us not to use violence, they are practiced as a sport. Ive been doing Taekwondo for 25 years and I never had the need or felt the need to try out my skills other then in competitve sports. If the other kids know u practice it, they might be more friendly to begin with.

• Like 1

Having a daughter myself, I've spoken with a few guys here whose kids have encountered bullying, but the focus of the abuse has not been on being half foreign but on the parents. Some kids say nasty things about the mother (you can guess what) and in cases where the father is obviously older they say stuff about the dad being so old. Some of these comments are probably arising as a result of the kids hearing their parents passing judgment, but as someone else said, you find this kind of bullying the world over. I had a half Chinese friend at school and his dad was 70+ when we were just 8. His dad was an awesome guy; he used to press a fake turbo button in his car and we thought it made us go faster - but really we were just going downhill :). Anyway, his son used to take some stick, so I stuck up for him when I was around to. Kids will always find differences to pick on, be it appearance or personal family issues. I reckon half a Thai-half kid would be subject to more stick in the UK than here. People say very hurtful things about English men marrying Thai women and this can easily get back to the children.

• Like 1

It starts in childhood...the bulling...and continues on thru adulthood...until a Thai dies...it is also referred to as "Thainess"...

My elementary aged child was being bullied daily...finally out of desperation I told him next time to hit the kid in the stomach...

Next day I ask him how it went...he said he did as I told him...Then what happened I asked: "He hit me in the nose!"

They became friends after this incident...smile.png

I am not recommending this for your child...there is no fairness in disputes here...more like a mob mentality...many against one...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Having 1 6 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl it also crosses my mind but to be honest i dont think they will get it any worse than thai v thai, saying that iv just enrolled my son in ju jitsu lessons incase it happens in the future and my daughter will do the same at 6

No...because a confident, disciplined child who understands the consequences of violence from a formal training regime will probably not get bullied.

But, if he/she does he/she will be able to resolve the situation without much fuss and without doing too much damage to the bully; probably just a little humiliation for the bully.

Violence tends to come from a lack of control. An attitude adjustment is what bullies encounter - and they seem to be in vogue at the moment!

Edited by scooterandjobe

Crazy chef 1, on 30 Jan 2015 - 13:09, said:

hellstens, on 30 Jan 2015 - 12:54, said:

Crazy chef 1, on 30 Jan 2015 - 08:27, said:

2008bangkok, on 30 Jan 2015 - 08:18, said:

You don't have any kid! right? and you don't know what ju jitsu stand for ether?

Pleas don't comment if you don't know

Son,yes i do have a child.but violence will provoke violence and if you live long time enough in this beautiful place you have learned that fights most of the times are result in use of weapons and than it doesn't matter which technique you wanna use for defense...

...but at least they have a fighting chance! Your kids have no chance!!

at the moment you are right he got no chance...but his siblings are watching

post-160354-0-73937000-1422617273_thumb.

post-160354-0-65755700-1422617298_thumb.

Kids are Kids no matter where they from .

Teach your kids, martial arts and whats right and wrong . martial arts if taught correctly will teach discipline as opposed to emotionally reacting to a situation.

Yes . . . maybe . . . if you are lucky enough to live someplace that has a martial arts program for kids. Even more lucky if it just so happens to be a GOOD program, with a qualified teacher, and the training resonates with the kid, if s/he is interested and willing to be disciplined and invest the time and energy over the long haul. Lot of "if's."

I don't know if people study Muay Thai on a semi-formal basis in the same way that you would send kids to karate or yoga class. However, this being Thailand and all, Muay Thai lessons might be more accessible than karate. Also, from what I understand, probably more useful if you had to defend yourself in a real fight.

Because being able to defend yourself is important especially from bullies.

So what happens when the bullies are stronger than your children?

No comment on the 50/50 kids here, but during the latter part of WW2 I was evacuated from London to Liverpool. Being a cockney kid I stood out like a sore thumb when I spoke and after a bit of bullying was challenged to fight the 'Cock of the school'. Coming from the rough and tumble of London, I fortunately had no problems with the contest. After that I was treated the same as the Scouse kids. This is not advocating violence, but an example of standing up for oneself. I think pecking order comes into play in most life forms. I forgot to add that I took up boxing and wrestling which I did for a good many years and it is a good way to learn discipline and self control.

Edited by Gandtee
  • Like 1

In Bangkok the Thai/farang kids fit in great in the big International schools, many are even on tv, check the local soaps but most are girls.

I have heard that it is tougher for the only half farang kid in a country school.

Technique will beat strength all day long, unless the bully is superman

• Like 1

Violence may not be a very positive solution. But is not an issue of violence vs. non-violence. The issue is how to survive for several years in a culture where bullying is part of the dynamics and "tribal culture" of being a kid in the school system.

Grow a thick skin then if violence in return is not to your liking and just look at the bullying as a character builder then.violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTCK3-aak

I think the problem would not be with Thai kids but other 50/50 kids or full foreigners kids.. My son's six and does Taekwondo and the other night after class a Russian kid from his class started a fight with him and as he thought he's not allowed to fight outside school he didn't fight back and the Russian called him a baby. My son's a second green belt and the bully Russian is a a white not graded yet. So I had a word with his parents who were sitting feet away and attitude was so what's the big deal. His teacher's had a word and the bully will now miss his grading and my son has permission from me and his teacher to wipe the floor with him. I was bullied at school and later in life and having done boxing for 10 years solved that problem.

Are you kidding? I wish I knew some martial art. Would have saved me some bruises in Rio...

I've got ADD and I don't think it's responsible for having had to protect myself as a child (not "kid") nor, for that matter, as an adult. Nor do I share the opinion, expressed herein by some as a fact, that children are stupid.

But my Thai/Caucasian child is growing up in downtown Albuquerque, the the epicenter of Breaking Bad. Actually a far safer and cooler place than portrayed, it's still a macho, Hispanic culture. Being able to defend oneself is mandatory, even if you fit in ethnically.

In this culture, violence is used to 'solve' almost everything. Perhaps some of you are aware of the state sponsored terrorism and officially condoned murder of the 'other' by our police department? Google 'APD murder homeless man' if interested.

Crazy chef is aptly named indeed.

Bullies tend to pick on weaker people and not confident kids, learning a martial art from a young age will give the kid self confidence but also be able to defend themselves, that should make bullies think twice, obviously they could use them skills to become a bulky but them that comes down to parenting skills

The kids may not be able to use these skills when they get older, nine times out of ten, an experienced street fighter will beat an experienced Karate guy. There are rules in Karate fighting, but no rules in street fighting.

I think otherwise, not many rules in the UFC. Lyoto Machida is successful with his (mostly) Karate style.

"Lyoto was born in Salvador, Brazil, as the third son of the highly ranked head of the Brazilian branch of the Japan Karate Association,[5] Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida

Edited by ALFREDO

Self defence does too.

I would rather the bullies turned up home. with a black eye.

Bullies tend to pick on weaker people and not confident kids, learning a martial art from a young age will give the kid self confidence but also be able to defend themselves, that should make bullies think twice, obviously they could use them skills to become a bulky but them that comes down to parenting skills

The kids may not be able to use these skills when they get older, nine times out of ten, an experienced street fighter will beat an experienced Karate guy. There are rules in Karate fighting, but no rules in street fighting.

I think otherwise, not many rules in the UFC. Lyoto Machida is successful with his (mostly) Karate style.

"Lyoto was born in Salvador, Brazil, as the third son of the highly ranked head of the Brazilian branch of the Japan Karate Association,[5] Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida

Is that Karate style used in the UK? The style I did was Shukokai.

If I was forced into a fight, which has happened, and I thought that my opponent would get the better of me,

I would lift the first thing I could use as a weapon, and use it.

I would feel justified as I did not want a fight in the first place.

• Like 1

Yup, plenty of bullying, but i haven't noticed an increase in bullying toward the mixed race kids. The Thai kids are just as bad to each other. Everyday there is crying for some verbal or physical thing. I am talking about Prathom students though. Mathayom are all very good at our school.

They do love to bully the foreign teachers though when possible, lol (Prathom 4 only...it's a tough age for them)

Edited by EmptyHead

Crazy chef 1, on 30 Jan 2015 - 13:27, said:
2008bangkok, on 30 Jan 2015 - 13:18, said:

Being brought up in Thailand, YES, violence IS the way it's done... you're not living in your softy softy western world now. And let's not forget, "violence" has solved many problems... WW1, WW2, and many more throughout history, it's also stopped a few people recommitting murder, rape... a has "sorted" out a few schoolyard bullies.

It is a little simplistic to say that WW 1 and 2 "solved problems." The "solution" directly caused the deaths of 2.2 million innocent civilians in WW1, but we really got into it in WW 2 with estimates of 20 - 30 million civilian deaths. The proportion of military to civilian deaths were inverse in WW 1 and WW 2. These are only deaths caused by direct military action and do not include the massive number of deaths caused indirectly by things like disease, famine and exposure. And these numbers are dwarfed by the staggering number of injuries and displacement of entire populations. The greedy, brutal and inept actions of the victors following WW 1 led directly to the rise of Hitler and WW 2. Likewise, some of the short sighted actions of the Allies following WW 2 lead directly or indirectly to the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam, and ultimately to the rise of Jihad, Islamic terrorism and the mess in the Middle East and North Africa.

Some of the things that happened in WW 1 & 3 and subsequently may have been necessary, even inevitable, but it is really tunnel vision to imagine that these massive tragedies "solved" anything.

Hi,

I lived in Isaan (Ubon) for many years, and my kids were born there, and lived there until they were 9 and 6. They never had any problems with being singled out for being different, and both fit in completely naturally with their peer groups. I think it may be to do with the fact that our household did things in a fairly 'Thai' way for the most part, so there weren't a lot of differences.

We have now moved to the UK, where they have fit in very well, but the kids' social issues weren't a factor in our move.

I work with kids with ADHD, so I know what you mean about how difficult it can be. In Thailand, showing extremes of emotion are frowned upon, so your kid's emotional outbursts are likely to cause embarressment and awkwardness in others, but as he goes through school and makes some friends, he will feel comfortable around them, and they will learn to take him as he is - emotions and all. That is also true anywhere, of course.

Also, of course, kids gradually learn to control their ADHD, and it becomes much less noticeable as they get older.

As for others' comments on drugs - drugs do have their place for some kids with ADHD - for some, drugs make life more calm and less stressful, and enable social relationships to develop. But I don't know how well-trained Thai doctors are in these matters - they have a habit of over-prescribing for most things, so perhaps this too. One thing - if he is on an ADHD drug and it's having no effect, it's likely that there are other underlying factors, so getting them checked out (by a doctor you know is well up on these things) would be advisable.

Oh and Ubon has a really good Taekwondo club (at Sunee) - I'll bet there are similar in other cities, too.

Good luck with it all.

Kids are stupid and nasty between them. Some one are racists too.

Paradoxal in the thai society (Bangkok the most), luk kreung are beloved. But in Isaan the old fears and racism against foreigners are maybe still existant to few people (not the most who are indifferent, like foreigners or are curious) !

Well, yes, this is Isaan, which remains stubbornly "insular" in spite of emerging regional importance and increasing development.

This child is "different" and super-intelligent which may be as provocative as his mixed ethnicity, or it might be something else, or it might be just "rite of passage" that all the little savages have to go through, as some of you have suggested. From some of your replies, it is beginning to sound as though low frustration tolerance might be primary problem. He is aggressive when he is attacked, and I don't think he has a problem defending himself physically. In fact, from what I can tell, his physical responses to essentially emotional taunting are not appropriate. Martial arts would be great for him, but I don't think he has enough focus at this point. Maybe when he is older. We do a little bit of QiGong among other things, and just getting through the opening form of 60 seconds is a struggle. Also, this being Isaan, I would be surprised to find a martial arts class of any kind for kids around there. There was a kid's yoga class a few years ago, but I don't think it got enough support to continue.

I'm digressing. Thank you, guys, for your opinions (even Mr. Brasco's). However, if you have never spent time around a kid with full-blown ADHD, your opinions are coming from a bottomless well of ignorance. Living with an ADHD child can be like living in a hurricane until it wears families down into little, squeaky nubs, and stalls a child's chances of living life successfully. And as more than one member of a family often has it, it can be a double and tripple-whammy.

The various approaches, including medication, are of course a matter of opinion and open to debate, but it is better if the opinions are are informed rather than just knee-jerk reactions.

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You don't have any kid! right? and you don't know what ju jitsu stand for ether?

Son,yes i do have a child.but violence will provoke violence and if you live long time enough in this beautiful place you have learned that fights most of the times are result in use of weapons and than it doesn't matter which technique you wanna use for defense...

so in your family you sacrifice your children because you're scared?

self defense Don't need not be violence!

• 1 month later...

Martial arts is great for self defence but also for learning discipline, respect and self confidence. It may even help children study at school.

I remember my sensei back when i was young telling us how important it was to respect my parents and try hard at school.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah I thought we were talking about self defense, like jujutsu, not an attack sports like karate. Who talk about learned them to fight?

I have three sons, all good on jujitsu, no one has ever exercised his knowledge in a fight, except self defense in school, and NEVER hurt anyone.

And I'm proud about that! and happy I let them learn the sport!

Oh yes, I have lived her the past Ten year, and only one time needed to protect my self.

Sorry if my English spelling is bad, I'm from Sweden :-)

Edited by hellstens
  • Like 1