Thai transport fines cabbie trying to overcharge Japanese businessman

webfact

Like all measuring instruments they do go out of calibration without any help. Certainly test meters need to be calibrated every year and have a calibration certificate. Taxi meters have electronics in them and these will be affected by age and environment i.e. heat and to a lesser extent cold and humidity.

Dont be too quick to blame the driver it could be a case of the meters never being checked once installed

Hey that is same guy who tried to rip me off until I pulled out my wallet to pay and he saw my US Marshall badge glaring at him.

US Marshall badges don't impress anybody here...and no were ells for that fact...

In my youth I drove Taxis night time to be able to pay for my studies, went to a government run school first for 2 months and had to pass a quite difficult test to get the license. The teacher at the school was an old Taxi hand, the first thing he told us was: this is a service job, always serve the customer and never cheat him. I was so happy when I passed the test and got my licence and after a couple of days I drove a taxi. The first trip I never forget, I was so nervous so I forget to turn on the meter for the first couple of kilometers, fortunately the client did not notice it. I was robbed, puked on and got laid multiple times but I liked the job and I made a decent salary as well. I know that most Taxi drivers in Bangkok got problems to feed their family and they work in an extremely stressful traffic, the honest drivers should at least be able to make a decent living from their hard work.

and over the years how much has he overcharged / stolen from people? 1000's ... more .... 10 000 more ....

and he gets a slap on the wrist and a 3k fine

absolutely absurd that they allow a known and caught thief to keep his hack permit

disgusted

• Like 1

I have to say I love the comments on this one. A lot of talk about how much he has ripped people off for; it makes good reading. Can any of the people who are saying how many thousands of Baht he has taken passengers for can actually prove what they say? Did I hear not one person, no that cant be right. Everyone is so righteous after all back in the home country no one gets ripped off so we should expect such condemnation here on TV.

If, as I get the feeling it is, so bad in Thailand then lets all get together and leave. I will stand and defend the fort because I think a lot of what is written here is from people who have a rosy memory of "home" and believe everywhere should be as rosy.

Get a life. You dont like it in Thailand? Then pack your bags and go back to your country were everything is perfect

• Like 1

Hey that is same guy who tried to rip me off until I pulled out my wallet to pay and he saw my US Marshall badge glaring at him.

Wow he must have shit himself....A US Marshall badge. I must pop down to Beach Rd immeadiately and get one. Are they still 120 baht?

• Like 1

I didn't know a badge could glare. Does it ever grimmace? Or laugh histerically for no reason?

• Like 2

SJJMMI you must be one of Mrs. Thatcher's incomprehensibles, or something similar. Are you sure you can understand English? Here is the text from the posting: "Apart from being fined, he also was banned from entering the airport compound to pick up passengers." Better luck next time.

No need to reply as it is not worth the effort when faced with that type of posting.

• Like 1

He must have been pretty daft, only a 40 Baht overcharge! Who would even bother complaining in the scheme of things?

Poor sod got quite a hefty fine.

That was the flagfall i.e. what you see on the meter when you first get in the vehicle. If that part of the meter had been interfered with, probably the rest of it will have been rigged to charge a higher kilometer rate too.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind this guy was in the Police Force before he started driving Taxis and ripping off people. I suppose this may be one of those inactive posts they talk about. His Taxi licence should have been taken from him and a heavy fine given. If it was his taxi it should have been taken from him, if he was working for someone they should sack him for losing the Airport run. Police probably own the Taxi.

I live in a Japan. A 5 minute ride from my house to the train station cost 1000 yen or about 330 baht. I don't know why the Japanese complain in Thailand. It is dirt cheap there for a taxi. But I can understand that they complain about the cheating of farangs.

• Like 1

You think he would recognized it?

I hate the small-talk the taxi driver try to involve me, but the combination of being 10 years in Thailand and my wife is from Nakhon Si Thammerat usually helps.

Had recently one Taxi driver who looked like a trouble-maker, so I informed my staff about heavy luggage. Having 6 males, hand on technicians mostly from the south, waiting for me made the communication a lot more friendly.

I wouldn't be too scared alone, but considering I am a first time tourist, or old and weak, or a female I might be scared enough to pay his extra demands.

One middle age Thai lady told me once of a very unpleasant experience.

I live in a Japan. A 5 minute ride from my house to the train station cost 1000 yen or about 330 baht. I don't know why the Japanese complain in Thailand. It is dirt cheap there for a taxi. But I can understand that they complain about the cheating of farangs.

It costs 1000 yen, not 250 yen and they try to cheat you additional 750, right?

Sure no Japanese would complain if the fees would be higher. But they complain about cheating.

It costs 1000 yen, not 250 yen and they try to cheat you additional 750, right?

Sure no Japanese would complain if the fees would be higher. But they complain about cheating.

I didn't feel cheated. Okay, no meter. But inside the taxi, it shows a list of prices from kilometer to kilometer. And I knew how much will I pay. I had 2 big suitcases so I've chosen a big car. Like I said, it's cheap. After he brought me to my hotel, he has to come back to the airport, wasting another hour or more, then waiting for the line again. I've heard in England or US taxi fares are expensive as well. Thailand taxi fares are cheap.

Funny how those taxi meters only gradually manage to malfunction. My trip between home and work cost 53 baht five years ago for a 5 km trip. Gradually, it has increased to 55, 57, 59, and, now has started to tip over at 61 baht. While the distance has grown (usually) to 5.4 km. Proof of the expanding universe, right here in Thailand.

You do realise taxi fares have ineased (twice if my memory's not failing me) in the past 4 years-that might account for the rising rice. Plz don't believe the ''fares have been stagnant since the end of the war'' brigade ;)

Funny how those taxi meters only gradually manage to malfunction. My trip between home and work cost 53 baht five years ago for a 5 km trip. Gradually, it has increased to 55, 57, 59, and, now has started to tip over at 61 baht. While the distance has grown (usually) to 5.4 km. Proof of the expanding universe, right here in Thailand.

You do realise taxi fares have ineased (twice if my memory's not failing me) in the past 4 years-that might account for the rising rice. Plz don't believe the ''fares have been stagnant since the end of the war'' brigade wink.png

8 Baht in 5 years! Quick send me your Bank Account details and I'll send you a few bob. You're obviously doing it tough.

And what war would that be? if it is the one I am thinking of, and, for many years after it ended, ALL fares were negotiated prior to getting into the vehicle. I wonder these days how many of the pampered whinger brigade could cope with that!

I went to Thailand last December and I paid 600 baht, which I consider cheap. I want to know how much you pay taxi fare in Japan with the same distance in kilometers.

I'm living in Vietnam and from the place I live to Saigon airport is about 35 kilometers. But the taxi fare is 600,000 VND (30 US).

could it be that one main reason why the Taxi in Japan (or in London, Sydney, Frabkfurt.....) is a lot more expensive is, that if the Cabbie wants to have a proper lunch he will pay the equivalent of 10-12 $ (at least!) in Japan and not just 1 $ (30 Baht) as here in Thailand ?

Could it be that another reason is that the Apartment prices in Japan are ten times as high as in Thailand ?

Could it be that....... ah, let's stop it ! But better first think, then write....

Don't ya think you're splitting hairs there a little bit? Get a grip man.

I went to Thailand last December and I paid 600 baht, which I consider cheap. I want to know how much you pay taxi fare in Japan with the same distance in kilometers.

I'm living in Vietnam and from the place I live to Saigon airport is about 35 kilometers. But the taxi fare is 600,000 VND (30 US).

You got ripped off at 600 baht. Airport to Nana is 300-350 via meter with traffic. I don't care about the meter. When they scam me with a hacked meter, I throw them 300 baht and walk away. I tell them I will wait if they want to call the police, none ever take me up on that.

You do realise taxi fares have ineased (twice if my memory's not failing me) in the past 4 years-that might account for the rising rice. Plz don't believe the ''fares have been stagnant since the end of the war'' brigade wink.png

8 Baht in 5 years! Quick send me your Bank Account details and I'll send you a few bob. You're obviously doing it tough.

And what war would that be? if it is the one I am thinking of, and, for many years after it ended, ALL fares were negotiated prior to getting into the vehicle. I wonder these days how many of the pampered whinger brigade could cope with that!

You do realise that I WASN'T complaining about the fares...perhaps you should drink the next one a bit slower :rolleyes:

I used to hail taxis on Sukhumvit in the mornings right at the Nana BTS escalator near soi 8. I'd wave one down, wait for him to roll to a stop, and then calmly turn around and walk up the escalators.

I think turn around is fair play. If a taxi driver is going to honk his ass off at me while I'm walking the opposite direction or waiting at a cross walk, or stalk me on a tiny soi, or quote me 300 baht to get from A to B when I know it's 60 baht to get from A to B, then I find no problem with a little fun of my own. tongue.png