Where to start in Bangkok?

bkkgooner

It would help to know where you live, but if you have a car, the track around Suvarnabhumi airport is clearly the safest place to ride. At least you will only be hit by other cyclists.

You may also be able to take the Airport Link train to the airport, or you can ride there if you don't live too far away.

Bang Krachao? Yeah that's a fun place for a ride. You need to either take your bike over on the little ferry or rent one when you get to the other side. Minimal traffic, but some of the paths are a little scary if you're not confident in your ability to cycle in a straight line, as they can have quite a drop at each side of a narrow path.

I'd say Rama 9 park in the east, Chatuchak park in the north, and Putthamonthon park in the west are the only parks of sufficient size that don't make you feel like a fly buzzing around a light bulb and I am not even sure about Chatuchak, because it's sliced up by roads. Putthamonthon park is definitely the best; it even has a short and sweet MTB trail.

Cheers, CM-Expat

The hours for bicycles in Lumpini are from 10:00-15:00. Outside of those times, you may or may not get asked to stop riding by one of the guards. The full loop is about 2.6k. In the evenings there are too many runners, so don't even consider going then. I am not an early riser, but would assume the morning is similar.

Edited by taony
  • Like 1

you can cycle round and round on the sanam luang cycle path, might be dangerous getting there...

The BMA opened a new 8km cycle route around that area last December. Not sure if it has been taken over by parked cars and footstalls yet?

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2014/12/new-8km-cycle-lane-around-rattanakosin-in-bangkok/

Tried out this 8km route, and all I can think is some officials must have pocketed some profits building it and then lost interest. Absolutely useless. All the bicycles where elsewhere doing around loops around Suan Luang (boring!) and not a single bike seen on the 8km route which was fairly unusable in parts - maybe 50% of it was open and safe to use. Near Grand Palace is seemed to be full of water puddles, hard to imagine in dry season - deliberate flooding perhaps?