Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

If you cant live in Thailand there is no way you can live in Canada. I spent most of 2014 working there and it was ridiculously expensive. Even Immigration told me the money changers at Calgary airport rip you off.

But if you think it is cheap then please go back and live there. This topic has been thrashed and abused beyond belief. Lets move on to something else

Well, I can't live in my own country so I have to live in Thailand. I'm forced out basically. Living in my home country is like living in a country full of rich people. I'm definitely not rich. I can afford an apartment for $100/mo or less. Can't find that in america anymore. They want billionaires and millionaires living in america who can pay $1,000++ for rent and $250k plus houses. I can actually live in Thailand whereas in my home country I'm stuck living with my mother. :(

No wonder Thaland's government wants to tighten visa rules all the time. It's hardly beneficial for Thailabd to be a refuge for economically challenged hobos.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant live in Thailand there is no way you can live in Canada. I spent most of 2014 working there and it was ridiculously expensive. Even Immigration told me the money changers at Calgary airport rip you off.

But if you think it is cheap then please go back and live there. This topic has been thrashed and abused beyond belief. Lets move on to something else

Well, I can't live in my own country so I have to live in Thailand. I'm forced out basically. Living in my home country is like living in a country full of rich people. I'm definitely not rich. I can afford an apartment for $100/mo or less. Can't find that in america anymore. They want billionaires and millionaires living in america who can pay $1,000++ for rent and $250k plus houses. I can actually live in Thailand whereas in my home country I'm stuck living with my mother. sad.png

No wonder Thaland's government wants to tighten visa rules all the time. It's hardly beneficial for Thailabd to be a refuge for economically challenged hobos.

Not economically challenged at all. 20,000 baht/mo in Thailand = middle class. tongue.png

Well, I can't live in my own country so I have to live in Thailand. I'm forced out basically. Living in my home country is like living in a country full of rich people. I'm definitely not rich. I can afford an apartment for $100/mo or less. Can't find that in america anymore. They want billionaires and millionaires living in america who can pay $1,000++ for rent and $250k plus houses. I can actually live in Thailand whereas in my home country I'm stuck living with my mother. sad.png

Not economically challenged at all. 20,000 baht/mo in Thailand = middle class. tongue.png

Middle class of what. Nakhon nowhere? Middle class in Thailabd is not under 40-60k baht per month. Unless middle class to you starts at level of 7/11 cashier and ends at office receptionist.

What kind of visa gets someone to live in Thailand on 20k per month? I thought it's 80k or 40k minimum.

Edited by teutonian

You think? In Bangkok that definitely is not middle class, and to be frank I would challenge most farangs to live of 666 baht a day.

You think? In Bangkok that definitely is not middle class, and to be frank I would challenge most farangs to live of 666 baht a day.

My neighbour is a manager for a makeup company in BK, 25k/month.

Yep, he's definitely middle class.

Don't understand foreigners talking up Thai wages?

Does it in some way make you feel better about yourself?

Or are you just totally ignorant about everything Thai?

Is that one of those 25k jobs with commissions and 6 month bonuses.

Hey, I was hanging out with senior managers in rayong in 100+. What does that make them? Upper class?

25k isn't well off in reality, it is living but could he raise a family well on that? Don't think so. Middle class a father and mother working running two cars and funding two kids and a mortgage.

Like to see that done on 40 to 50k of combined earning. Where are the mobile phone bills and UBC subscriptiins in that?

Not talking up earnings, talking down peoples aspirations to be middle class. Having a fan and a strip light in ur room definitely doesn't make u middle class.

Middle class doesn't equate median income. There is a relatively small middle class here and a lot of souring middle class Thais. Consumer credit is so outrageolsy prices here that it holds down those aspirations. The large family support structures can serve to hide some individual economic performance. Don't underestimate the amount of support coming into thousands of families from overseas Kiks and "husbands" which make their way into the family and village economies.

But true aspirations of middle class, educated management or professional career is not going to be met on a single wage earning family-head at 25,000 baht per month. No way.

AOA,

you know as well as i do it always turns out this way when money starts to be mentioned, just turns into a pissing contest,

at the end of the day you live on what youve got,, and if that isnt enough time to move on,,

i wonder if im high so,?????

I think there are slot of down and out farang here who think that living in a shed on a dog infested soi 1 hour from the nearest Tesco express is middle class.

i have no issue with someone wanting to live that way. It's alright. It's good that locals can survive without hunger and afford a basic lifestyle at 12-20k baht per month.

But to think one can come over here, on a 20k budget and then to claim middle class standards is ludicrous.

Lipstick. Pig. Beer Lao. Got it. ...

but it's probably HIGHLY BENEFICIAL for the owner of the said Apartment / Condo, maybe a young couple with a small child, if they find somebody to rent their property.

10 years ago I rented a place in Bangchak (a tad more expensive than 100€ though), and the owners were a young Thai-Filipino couple with a toddler in tow. They had tried to rent out their unit for almost a year but failed to do so, unless that Farang (me) came along. They were very grateful and pleasant landlords for the 3 years I stayed there

20k baht 30 k baht budgets

lol

Imagine you have 2 kids, and a wife.

You need at least 300-400k

If your company takes care of the school and housing, 200k is sufficient.

A decent international school will cost at least a million baht for 2 kids, every year.

By decent I mean a school which employs teachers, not pikers who come to Bangkok for sex.

Buy a car and it will set you back another 1-2 million baht, 3-4-5 if you want a luxury car.

Decent condo that can accommodate 4 people, 60k and up.

Pocket money for the kids who hang out with the international crowd, 10k for each kid, a month.

Thailand is not a cheap country to raise a family, but its definitely cheap if you're single and have no dependents, even if you're single you need at least 150-200k to lead a good lifestyle and invest for your future at the same time.

Pigs in towers rats everywhere, this is the world as apes imagine - homo homini lupus

Even if this dream comes true there is something missing, beuty and grace - unfortunately apes have no such things themself so they need to steal a dream.

Could be soi buakao the place, frozen fishes stands for twilight - remarkable unspelled slaves names will do for them.

I am here roaming, I never thought I can embrace even a bit of Thailand but with wide open eyes and I love humans by their heart less their mind.

lol

A decent international school will cost at least a million baht for 2 kids, every year.

By decent I mean a school which employs teachers, not pikers who come to Bangkok for sex.

Buy a car and it will set you back another 1-2 million baht, 3-4-5 if you want a luxury car.

Pocket money for the kids who hang out with the international crowd, 10k for each kid, a month.

Thailand is not a cheap country to raise a family, but its definitely cheap if you're single and have no dependents, even if you're single you need at least 150-200k to lead a good lifestyle and invest for your future at the same time.

Deluded and seriously misguided, have you ever been to the real Thailand, the one outside of BKK CBD, a rhetorical question of course.

If you want to know what constitutes as a decent budget in the said country, you have to look at what MNC's and NGO'S + Embassies pay their staff.

Of course you won't starve to death on a 30k month budget, but is it enough for a decent upper middle class lifestyle in Bangkok? US Embassy gives its diplomatic staff 80-100k in housing allowance.

I will get bashed for saying 150-180k is the bare minimum, but apparently MNCS and Embassies agree with me : )

Just because English Teachers etc get paid 30-40k a month, it doesn't mean this is enough to live a comfy lifestyle in Bangkok. I'm not going to talk about Isaan, as I've never been there.

You simply can't use expat salaries as a meaningful gauge as to the cost of living in any country, they're even less useful in trying to measure the median income of middle class nationals. Simply, expat salaries consider far more than just the cost of living of the average middle class local.

I am a foreiginer so I will take expat salaries into account. I'm not a thai. If I have kids they have to go to an international school. You can't expect me to eat street food and drink cheap beer. When nations decide what salary to give to their diplomats, they take a lot of factors into account. The cost of food,education, housing etc etc in that country, where someone new won't feel alienated. In every country locals have it easier, they can live for cheaper. In a country like Thailand where dual pricing is so rampant, you have to take expat salaries into account. What the average Thai earns is not my problem.

lol

Deluded and seriously misguided, have you ever been to the real Thailand, the one outside of BKK CBD, a rhetorical question of course.

If I'm misguided how come MNCS, and Embassies pay their staff 150k and up? Are you the smart ones, or are they just retarded?

http://www.isb.ac.th/Tuition_Fees/default.aspx

Look at the fees, suppose you have 2 kids, its gonna set you back about 1.5 mil a year. This is what a good western level education costs here. This is just the education part. You have housing, food, etc. I'm not the misguided one, trust me. You can't force someone to send their kids to an inferior school. Bad schools don't employ real teachers, I seriously wouldn't want my kids to be taught by pothead pikers.

lol

If I'm misguided how come MNCS, and Embassies pay their staff 150k and up? Are you the smart ones, or are they just retarded?

Look at the fees, suppose you have 2 kids, its gonna set you back about 1.5 mil a year. This is what a good western level education costs here. This is just the education part. You have housing, food, etc. I'm not the misguided one, trust me. You can't force someone to send their kids to an inferior school. Bad schools don't employ real teachers, I seriously wouldn't want my kids to be taught by pothead pikers.

You confuse western expat salaries in Thailand with the average or median income level of Thai middle class, there is no relationship between the two.

lol

You confuse western expat salaries in Thailand with the average or median income level of Thai middle class, there is no relationship between the two.

Good morning, this is Thaivisa. Last time I checked this was an expat forum. Correct me If I'm wrong.

Since I'm a foreigner, I'm taking the expat lifestyle into account, not Thai.

Edited by Lukecan

Good morning, this is Thaivisa. Last time I checked this was an expat forum. Correct me If I'm wrong.

Since I'm a foreigner, I'm taking the expat lifestyle into account, not Thai.

Whatever it is you think you are discussing bears no relationship to the reality of Thai middle class income, in Thailand, but feel free to rant about expat lifestyles et al, I think one/two year expat secondment salary are irrelevant to the context of the topic.

I am a foreiginer so I will take expat salaries into account. I'm not a thai. If I have kids they have to go to an international school. You can't expect me to eat street food and drink cheap beer. When nations decide what salary to give to their diplomats, they take a lot of factors into account. The cost of food,education, housing etc etc in that country, where someone new won't feel alienated. In every country locals have it easier, they can live for cheaper. In a country like Thailand where dual pricing is so rampant, you have to take expat salaries into account. What the average Thai earns is not my problem.

Just enrolled my 3yo into his first school, first term 2,000bht, that includes his 5 uniforms, but not the two pairs of shoes, I have to buy them.

After that 800bht/term.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Just enrolled my 3yo into his first school, first term 2,000bht, that includes his 5 uniforms, but not the two pairs of shoes, I have to buy them.

After that 800bht/term.

Sending your kid to a govt school is your choice. You probably have a Thai wife. Thai govt schools are not renowned for providing quality education. Guessing from your nick it seems you're American, in US, public schools are quite good, but this is Thailand.

Well, I can't live in my own country so I have to live in Thailand. I'm forced out basically. Living in my home country is like living in a country full of rich people. I'm definitely not rich. I can afford an apartment for $100/mo or less. Can't find that in america anymore. They want billionaires and millionaires living in america who can pay $1,000++ for rent and $250k plus houses. I can actually live in Thailand whereas in my home country I'm stuck living with my mother. :(

yes, but can you afford the airfare?

sometimes its better to be near a support system if your that skint.

i think embassy staff give loans in emergencies??

there are also cheaper places to go (india, cambodia, burma)

Edited by fey

yes, but can you afford the airfare?

sometimes its better to be near a support system if your that skint.

i think embassy staff give loans in emergencies??

there are also cheaper places to go (india, cambodia, burma)

i would like to know your monthly budget and approx location. are you flying solo? do you speak thai?

Who says you can't live on 40,000THB a month?

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

groceries and othr items 21,000

thats 5,000 baht week for food and taxi.

you telling me you can not eat for 800 baht a day?

split the rent with a roomate, now you are at 9,000 rent, up to 30,000 baht for food and extras?

can not tell me this is slum money, because I know there is plenty available

After that 800bht/term.

Sending your kid to a govt school is your choice. You probably have a Thai wife. Thai govt schools are not renowned for providing quality education. Guessing from your nick it seems you're American, in US, public schools are quite good, but this is Thailand.

Many Americans would disagree with you regarding public schools in the US.

After that 800bht/term.

Many Americans would disagree with you regarding public schools in the US.

Luke's never been to Detroit, Miami, Washington ..........

I spent 200B today in total (stayed home tonight which is unusual) and that included getting short changed for 60B and spending the afternoon in a coffee shop where I ate an overpriced cheese & ham toastie.

It costs nothing to eat here. On the average day if I didn't go out in the evening (which I do most nights) I'd hardly spend anything.

I spent 200B today in total (stayed home tonight which is unusual) and that included getting short changed for 60B and spending the afternoon in a coffee shop where I ate an overpriced cheese & ham toastie.

It costs nothing to eat here. On the average day if I didn't go out in the evening (which I do most nights) I'd hardly spend anything.

no, it costs 30 baht a meal (maybe 20 if your unlucky). that's $3 a day or $90 a month. more then what a lot of people pay in monthly rent.

if you don't eat at all you would save $90 a month and could invest that for retirement

Who says you can't live on 40,000THB a month?

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

groceries and othr items 21,000

thats 5,000 baht week for food and taxi.

split the rent with a roomate, now you are at 9,000 rent, up to 30,000 baht for food and extras?

can not tell me this is slum money, because I know there is plenty available

UTILITIES 1000 baht ???

Many in Pattaya are paying 3000 baht a month + for electricity.