Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Health care, Insurance, Taxes, heating, eating out all kill me in the USA.

Buying and cooking all you own food is dead cheap though.

The "Affordable Care Act" ACA raised my premiums 28% this year and I keep my old coverage plan because it was grand fathered. If I actually go to one of the healthcare gov websites, the cheapest and worst medical plan will be 50% more than what I pay now and would be $388 USD a month. So the medical costs in the USA along with the paperwork coverage changes etc. a are rapidly becoming a huge factor in my early retirement plans.

Who says you can't live on 40,000THB a month?

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

groceries and othr items 21,000

thats 5,000 baht week for food and taxi.

you telling me you can not eat for 800 baht a day?

split the rent with a roomate, now you are at 9,000 rent, up to 30,000 baht for food and extras?

can not tell me this is slum money, because I know there is plenty available

UTILITIES 1000 baht ???

Many in Pattaya are paying 3000 baht a month + for electricity.

Only if you're paying a landlord surcharge or running aircon all the time. I run a 3 bed/3 bath with plasma TV;s/computers/appliances etc plus I water a large garden everyday using a pump and my monthly bill is around THB 750.

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

split the rent with a roomate, now you are at 9,000 rent, up to 30,000 baht for food and extras?

UTILITIES 1000 baht ???

Only if you're paying a landlord surcharge or running aircon all the time. I run a 3 bed/3 bath with plasma TV;s/computers/appliances etc plus I water a large garden everyday using a pump and my monthly bill is around THB 750.

. 3 BR place and you only pay 750, well you re probably hooked up to your neighbors electric box, that's all I can say...

I get my electricity directly from the electricity company and it's billed accordingly, not via a landlord who marks up the price. Even in a 2bed/2bath bath condo I rented previously where the electric was marked up, my bill was never over THB 1,200. THB 3,k a month means there's something wrong somewhere.

Edited by chiang mai

Just enrolled my 3yo into his first school, first term 2,000bht, that includes his 5 uniforms, but not the two pairs of shoes, I have to buy them.

After that 800bht/term.

Sending your kid to a govt school is your choice. You probably have a Thai wife. Thai govt schools are not renowned for providing quality education. Guessing from your nick it seems you're American, in US, public schools are quite good, but this is Thailand.

Many Americans would disagree with you regarding public schools in the US.

Luke's never been to Detroit, Miami, Washington ..........

Luke's never been to too many places, yet he likes to talk like he's been around.

More proof that it is, without a doubt, more expensive to live in Canada than in Thailand. A new study just came out that ranks 119 countries by a "Cost of Living" index.

"A new global cost of living index report reveals the cheapest countries in the world to live in. The report, prepared by data research website Numbeo, considered factors such as the cost of rent, groceries, local purchasing power, and cost of eating in a restaurant. The study compares Consumer Price Index (CPI) of each country with that of New York City. Click through to see which country is the cheapest to live in."

Canada ranks as the 20th most expensive country to live in.

Thailand ? 87th. Yeah, 67 places lower than Canada.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

Interesting to note that, according to that index, it is more expensive to live in Myanmar and Cambodia than it is in Thailand ! I also found it interesting that India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh all rank in the bottom 21. Indonesia ranks as the 12th cheapest country to live in.

Some of those countries are probably more expensive to live in because of the cost of getting anything there (like Libya). Still, apparently it is cheaper to live in Syria than Thailand (but more expensive in Iraq) !

Wow I thought Switzerland was expensive... One of the reasons we left, but that it was at the top of the list!! Love it here in thailand. :)

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

UTILITIES 1000 baht ???

Can you tell us the unit numbers please. I want to buy a meter like this.laugh.png

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

UTILITIES 1000 baht ???

Can you tell us the unit numbers please. I want to buy a meter like this.laugh.png

Sure:

Start: 1393

End 1579

Units = 186

Cost at 0.000 = 587.16

Cost at 0.5896 = 109.67

Sub-total - 693.83

VAT at 7% - 48.78

Total bill = 745.61

More proof that it is, without a doubt, more expensive to live in Canada than in Thailand. A new study just came out that ranks 119 countries by a "Cost of Living" index.

"A new global cost of living index report reveals the cheapest countries in the world to live in. The report, prepared by data research website Numbeo, considered factors such as the cost of rent, groceries, local purchasing power, and cost of eating in a restaurant. The study compares Consumer Price Index (CPI) of each country with that of New York City. Click through to see which country is the cheapest to live in."

Canada ranks as the 20th most expensive country to live in.

Thailand ? 87th. Yeah, 67 places lower than Canada.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

Interesting to note that, according to that index, it is more expensive to live in Myanmar and Cambodia than it is in Thailand ! I also found it interesting that India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh all rank in the bottom 21. Indonesia ranks as the 12th cheapest country to live in.

Some of those countries are probably more expensive to live in because of the cost of getting anything there (like Libya). Still, apparently it is cheaper to live in Syria than Thailand (but more expensive in Iraq) !

Sorry I'm late to the party. I have a problem with these country indexes because it depends on where you live. When they mention Thailand is that Bangkok, Udon, or an average countrywide? When they mention the USA, is that New York or perhaps San Francisco, or is it small town Arkansas?

What would I eat? Would I eat American food or would I eat from street stalls? What would my accommodations look and live like i.e. do I get a full kitchen and central heat and aircon?

Do I drive a scooter, or a motorized roller skate, or can I have my Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew 4 door pickup?

Will I get my cheap Medicare health insurance?

On that site you can compare cities and towns and that makes a lot more sense to me, even if it doesn't specify the lifestyle.

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

Utilities 1000 tops.. no way. Internet?? phone?? electricity??

Phone = 440b

Internet.. cheap one = 799

Electricity = 5000b at least

water = 200b

True Vision = 1500b

When I first moved to Thailand the Canadian $ was low against the US, but not too bad against the ฿, then the CAD started to rise against the US $ and at the same time against the ฿. Now all world currencies seen to be falling against the US$ except the ฿ which for some reason seems to be holding its own against the US$. However even at a cheap exchange rate I can't believe Canada would be cheaper than Canada. Food is cheaper here, beer, alcohol, even wine, all cheaper here. Cloths a lot cheaper, I don't pay any tax on my house and it is paid for, my two cars are paid for, and repairs are a lot cheaper here. Car insurance is cheaper. Dental work about a fifth of the price. At the moment gas is more expensive, but historically that won't last for long. If you are young and still have working years left and can get a well paying job, I'm sure you would be better off living in Canada until you can retire in a comfortable pension, but for an old fart like me Canada would be much more expensive, not to mention the cold. Sure I have to cut down, but I probably should have done that before anyway.

When I first moved to Thailand the Canadian $ was low against the US, but not too bad against the ฿, then the CAD started to rise against the US $ and at the same time against the ฿. Now all world currencies seen to be falling against the US$ except the ฿ which for some reason seems to be holding its own against the US$. However even at a cheap exchange rate I can't believe Canada would be cheaper than Canada. Food is cheaper here, beer, alcohol, even wine, all cheaper here. Cloths a lot cheaper, I don't pay any tax on my house and it is paid for, my two cars are paid for, and repairs are a lot cheaper here. Car insurance is cheaper. Dental work about a fifth of the price. At the moment gas is more expensive, but historically that won't last for long. If you are young and still have working years left and can get a well paying job, I'm sure you would be better off living in Canada until you can retire in a comfortable pension, but for an old fart like me Canada would be much more expensive, not to mention the cold. Sure I have to cut down, but I probably should have done that before anyway.

I can't believe Canada would be cheaper than Canada either. smile.png

I thought medical and dental was "free" in Canada, no?

It's not much, but I know my wife pays tax on the house adn an empty lot, so you might want to check on that.

I read somewhere (sorry, I can't find it again) that although the Baht is no longer pegged to the US$, it is now pegged to a basket of currencies of which the US$ makes up 88%.

If true, it could explain why the Baht continues to mirror the US$ rises & falls.

Edited by JB300

Townhouse 18,000

utlilties 1000 tops

Utilities 1000 tops.. no way. Internet?? phone?? electricity??

Phone = 440b

Internet.. cheap one = 799

Electricity = 5000b at least

water = 200b

True Vision = 1500b

Electricity is one of the biggest variables. Cut out 24/7 air-conditioning and you slash your power costs. We have a three bedroom house, 3 flat screen tvs, computers always on etc. water pump as required and some lighting on timers using low energy bulbs. Mostly use fans, and air conditioners when used at night are on timers set to turn off during the night. Monthly bill can be as low as 1250 baht, highest ever was 2,200 baht.

I do not believe the baht is pegged to the $.

Would someone that believes it is please link to something that supports their belief?

It was, but during the Asian Financial Crisis (late 90s) they moved to "Peg" it to a basket of currencies that as far as I'm aware is "Secret"

However I read (wish I could find the article again) that this basket was made up of multiple currencies of which 80% was USD which would go someway to explaining why the THB is doing so well as the USD flourishes.

Edited by JB300

Thailand is mainly an export country, it should have a exchange rate low enough to push their products abroad. If rate is too low then oil import will be a sacrifice, but it can be compensate with export boost, all of counterbalancing and aiming to a best for country rate. But oil price is now at its lower peak, so there is no scare of too low rate and also an higher rate is beneficial for the country, ie probably means there are huge importations on the way. Everybody is scoring with same process, Euro depreciate 20% without fear as now oil price is low, thus eurozone will be clearing the warehouse surplus, pushing the export of goods not very lurky but price competitive. I think since THB can oscillate free, only central bank of Thailand is rensponsible of manage its rate of exchange, of course respecting all international rules that are below such action. The only case of pegged currency that I know is emea vs. usd currency, linked to second decimal rate exchange. Oil&weapons again.

THB was pegged to USD until 1997 when the peg was broken and the Baht floated. Subsequently, the Baht tracks a basket of currencies, of which, ASEAN currencies form the core under a managed float system.

While I don't dissagree, I would like to see somthing that supports it.

Money isn't everything, but not having enough makes life too stressful. Move back to Canada and find yourself a nice Eskimo lass....

I don't know where you have been for the past 50 years, but Eskimo is to Innuit as the N word is to Blacks. I think there is no need to use racial slurs on this forum.

Edited by teutonian

Money isn't everything, but not having enough makes life too stressful. Move back to Canada and find yourself a nice Eskimo lass....

I don't know where you have been for the past 50 years, but Eskimo is to Innuit as the N word is to Blacks. I think there is no need to use racial slurs on this forum.

If that is true, why is it okay to write "Eskimo", but have to use "N word" for n...?