New MX5.. Any rumblings

LivinLOS

Any rumor or rumblings on if (and how expensive) the MX5 may be here..

All signs in the west point to a bargain roadster.. And it should come under the 200hp tax limits..

I dont expect it to be cheap.. But wonder what kind of price point this might hit here..

Yeah old model grey import.. New one next year..

Would have thought it should be cheaper than the BRZ.. But apparently not.

The new model launches in TH this year, not next.

As a CBU car, it's subject to 80% import duties, the same as the BRZ and GT86, so no way it can be cheaper than them.

Looks like a soft top crz hybrid

Maybe some different angles will give a different perspective smile.png

all-new-mazda-mx-5-rear.jpg

all-new-mazda-mx-5-side.jpg

Honda S2000 knock off.

It's a nice looking car, just needs more power.

LOL!

Still not sure about that - I reckon it's a definitely an MX-5 knock off though tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

Heard delivery is summer 2015 as those pixs are of the 2016 model. Europe will get the 1.5 liter, US 2.0 155hp and Japan (Includes Thailand) the 2.0 165hp engine. This info might change by summer.

Knowing Thailand it will probably come with a 165hp Clonker Motor.Im amazed our washing machine doesn't have one.sad.png .coffee1.gif

Heard delivery is summer 2015 as those pixs are of the 2016 model. Europe will get the 1.5 liter, US 2.0 155hp and Japan (Includes Thailand) the 2.0 165hp engine. This info might change by summer.

Knowing Thailand it will probably come with a 165hp Clonker Motor.Im amazed our washing machine doesn't have one.sad.png .coffee1.gif

What is a clonker engine ?

If the MX5 is officially sold here I cannot see why it would not get the 2.0 165HP Skyactiv engine. the same one that is in the Mazda 3, lets hope it is offered with a manual gearbox though as the maz 3 is pretty boring with the automatic.

Honda S2000 knock off.

Which is kinda missing the point in a 50/50 weight distribution light roadster..

Its a scalpel not a hatchet..

Honda S2000 knock off.

Which is kinda missing the point in a 50/50 weight distribution light roadster..

Adding a turbo charger wouldn't add any weight at all. Turbo, intercooler and pipework maybe 5 kilograms max.

Give this thing 250hp and it will sell like hotcakes. A great power to weight ratio.

Thai market could get a detuned 220hp model to beat the tax tariffs.

165hp is not appealing considering the price.

The original MX-5 was 980KG and 120 HP, and motoring journos around the world gave it every possible type of award they could...

The new model is 1000KG and around 180-190 HP in 2.0L form (power is unconfirmed, but this will be ballpark).... Guys, it's been a helluva long time since you drove something this light, with this power, at this price, in TH, that actually handled...

Edited by IMHO

A truck oiler comercial diesel

Well luckily Mazda do not have any of them in any of their line-up so safe to assume it will not get a "clonker".

They do have a 2.2 Skyactiv-D which would be a decent thing in a small vehicle like the MX5..... Thailand will not see it though.

Honda S2000 knock off.

Adding a turbo charger wouldn't add any weight at all. Turbo, intercooler and pipework maybe 5 kilograms max.

Give this thing 250hp and it will sell like hotcakes. A great power to weight ratio.

Thai market could get a detuned 220hp model to beat the tax tariffs.

165hp is not appealing considering the price.

I just looks up a kit for the BRZ and they say it adds nearly 20 kg for the kit.

That is for an aftermarket kit and does not include any weight added for chassis or drivetrain modifications to handle the additional power.

The new model is 1000KG and around 180-190 HP in 2.0L form (power is unconfirmed, but this will be ballpark)....

I thought this was confirmed at 165 ??

So far the announcement said the Japanese version, which we get in Thailand, would have the 2.0 liter Skyactive 165hp engine. To get it to 180-190hp one would have to turbo charge the engine and so far Mazda does not plan on doing this mod at least not for the MX5. Hoping they do it on a new Mazdaspeed 3 but that is a whole nother thread,

The new model is 1000KG and around 180-190 HP in 2.0L form (power is unconfirmed, but this will be ballpark)....

So far the announcement said the Japanese version, which we get in Thailand, would have the 2.0 liter Skyactive 165hp engine. To get it to 180-190hp one would have to turbo charge the engine and so far Mazda does not plan on doing this mod at least not for the MX5. Hoping they do it on a new Mazdaspeed 3 but that is a whole nother thread,

What announcement said that? Japan doesn't even get a 2.0L - they only get the 130 HP 1.5L - and even that spec is based on rumor, not official ;)

What announcement said that? Japan doesn't even get a 2.0L - they only get the 130 HP 1.5L - and even that spec is based on rumor, not official wink.png

From the LA Auto Show Mazda press release.

"The 2016 MX-5 Miata is the latest iteration of the world's best-selling two-seat roadster, with more than 930,000 sold globally and nearly 40 percent of those in the U.S. After making its global debut in three cities around the globe simultaneously in early September, it is making its North American auto show debut in Los Angeles. Powered by specially turned SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine, MX-5 is every bit the real sportscar. With a curb weight approximately 200 pounds lighter than the outgoing model, the new MX-5 will perform like enthusiasts and weekend-racers alike would expect, a true embodiment of the "lightweight sports" Jinba Ittai (literally "horse and rider as one") ethos."

And here. American spec.

http://jalopnik.com/2016-mazda-miata-will-have-155-hp-148-pound-feet-of-to-1682771004

Now these all say they American version gets the 155hp 2.0 liter engine which is the same as the US Mazda 3 gets. Here in Thailand the Mazda 3 gets the Japanese spec 165hp 2.0 liter engine so it seems to reason that engine would go in the Japan spec MX5. I don't think the Japanese would give the US cars more hp than there's. Just MHO.

From the LA Auto Show Mazda press release.

"The 2016 MX-5 Miata is the latest iteration of the world's best-selling two-seat roadster, with more than 930,000 sold globally and nearly 40 percent of those in the U.S. After making its global debut in three cities around the globe simultaneously in early September, it is making its North American auto show debut in Los Angeles. Powered by specially turned SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine, MX-5 is every bit the real sportscar. With a curb weight approximately 200 pounds lighter than the outgoing model, the new MX-5 will perform like enthusiasts and weekend-racers alike would expect, a true embodiment of the "lightweight sports" Jinba Ittai (literally "horse and rider as one") ethos."

And here. American spec.

http://jalopnik.com/2016-mazda-miata-will-have-155-hp-148-pound-feet-of-to-1682771004

Now these all say they American version gets the 155hp 2.0 liter engine which is the same as the US Mazda 3 gets. Here in Thailand the Mazda 3 gets the Japanese spec 165hp 2.0 liter engine so it seems to reason that engine would go in the Japan spec MX5. I don't think the Japanese would give the US cars more hp than there's. Just MHO.

That's all just journalistic speculation, based on the Mazda 3 specs. Same engine, maybe, same tune, not likely ;)

Wait for the official release at the end of this year :)

Honda S2000 knock off.

LOL!

Still not sure about that - I reckon it's a definitely an MX-5 knock off though tongue.png

Yeh, Mazda was first to the finish line over Honda, the S2000 is knock off the Mx5 to be more accurate. Nice looking but if I couldn't get that in a manual there is no way I'd pay anything close to those prices anyway, but that'd definitely nix it for me.