New MX5.. Any rumblings

LivinLOS

Less than $40K AUD - I'd buy that in a heartbeat at 25 to the dollar wink.png

Sure at international pricing its a no brainer..

I thought the higher import tarrifs kicked in at 200 bhp.. Which is why I thought this might be in the 'under 2 mil' range.. At which it becomes tempting.. If its going to be near 3 mil.. kinda takes the cheap fun aspect out of it.

I thought the higher import tarrifs kicked in at 200 bhp.. Which is why I thought this might be in the 'under 2 mil' range.. At which it becomes tempting.. If its going to be near 3 mil.. kinda takes the cheap fun aspect out of it.

That's nearly Subaru STI money.

Even a WRX with 268hp for 2.7 seems like a bargain at that price.

The import tariff doesn't vary on HP - it's either 5% for ASEAN, 0% for AU (who don't make cars), or 80% for anywhere else.

What does change with HP is excise tax, which is applied to all cars, not just imports - the threshold for the maximum rate of 50% is 220HP (or >= 3000cc).

That changes next year when the HP thresholds are replaced by CO2 thresholds - however, sadly, the 3000cc threshold will remain.

Edited by IMHO

So as this is presumably an ASEAN car.. with under 220bhp (lets say its also low CO2 for argument)..

Why the 250% increase..

I know its a bunch of cumulative taxes each on top of the last.. Still seems like its got some room..

For being built in Japan.

If it was built in Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia it would be considerably cheaper.

OK so ASEAN != ASEAN ??

Yeah. Sorry I was vague in my reply.

Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia are the only asean countries that have a car industry for export.

Yep, but if you guys want to start lobbying for Japan to be in it, you have my support :P

OK so ASEAN != ASEAN ??

Yeah. Sorry I was vague in my reply.

Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia are the only asean countries that have a car industry for export.

Yep, but if you guys want to start lobbying for Japan to be in it, you have my support tongue.png

Dont know why but I have had that incorrect assumption for ages..

Learn something every day..

New model looks pretty sweet.

I tried an MX5 last year and I looked stupid sitting in it. Just did not suit me.

Really looks like a fun drive, especially around Chiang Mai.

3million sounds a tad high. If it was 2million, or a tad over, I might buy the wife one....so I can look like an idiot, but have some fun when she's away.

So as this is presumably an ASEAN car.. with under 220bhp (lets say its also low CO2 for argument)..

Why the 250% increase..

I know its a bunch of cumulative taxes each on top of the last.. Still seems like its got some room..

Besides the ASEAN thing, it's not priced according to the cost but what the market will pay. I know Bikes are coming down but that's a much more competitive market than luxury sports cars I would think.

Am considering a return with a serious sponsor to run a program in Asia and one of my biggest drawbacks is the incredible selection of nicely priced new and used cars I'll be leaving behind. It weighs heavily on my mind the choices are so extreme.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I saw one on the road today in Phuket town in the deep red similar to the mazda 3 color. Its very beautiful. The front and rear styling really stands out.

Looks very Lotus from behind and very Maserati from the front.

Edited by sebastion

there is one on display at the Pattaya dealer in dark red and dark wheels with the 2.0 engine 2.7 MTHB, looks very nice but more than double the price than in Europe - so never a option, for that money i get a decent 3 series or X1

there is one on display at the Pattaya dealer in dark red and dark wheels with the 2.0 engine 2.7 MTHB, looks very nice but more than double the price than in Europe - so never a option, for that money i get a decent 3 series or X1

The MX-5 is a sports car when the BMTrouble you's are bland commuters and depreciate fast.

Apples to Oranges comparison.

Was looking at that car this afternoon.

Saw the auto gear stick and walked away.