Koh Phanang - Uncomfortable, Hassle

Guess not for you.... and you really think, you'll get a bike in Krabi or Phi Phi or anywhere in the world, with no deposit or some kind of security ?

Riding in a back of a pickup is not so bad, thousands of happy people do it with no problem facepalm.gif

I can't remember I had ever to turn in my passport when renting a car anywhere in the world.

But I bet you had to have some kind of Security, which is mainly the point... too many have been trusted in the past and some leave with out paying and not even returning the bike....that happens a lotsad.png

My first visit to KP, I left my passport, (not a problem for me at least) the second and subsequent trips, they "knew me" and was never asked to leave one again ...

the real problem is not having legit insurance with a rental.leave a passport or a 5000 baht deposit you can bet a shonky hire place will find a scratch,a dent or something to extract money from you.either way you lose.I agree with the op. any decent large resort should and sometimes do rent out their own bikes.A 400 baht a night place probably would n't.

You guys are probably poor businessmen. Many of the tourists on here are French, British, and German. Guess what most of them will have licenses and money to pay for all this.

If the island wants to cater to 2nd world tourists from Russia, which btw do I need to mention just saw their currency devalued by 70%+. You offer poor service, you get poor tourists.

Money walks, bulls--t talks!

Any local smart enough to put together the right package like this would OWN the market at least for people coming from western Europe. And be able to charge a premium.

And as far as the comment about security deposit... have you ever heard of a credit card hold? Many people from the 1st world have this.

And really I wouldn't call Thailand 3rd world at least in the areas where tourists come like this.

I heard they are supposedly building an airport here, so most likely within a few years the owner of the airport will take over this business.

BTW yes I know there are no motorized vehicles on Phi Phi... but apparently everything is walking distance...

And Bangkok was great, quality hotels, Uber or taxi everywhere...

The bike rental business is a minefield.

Let us look at your suggestion of the hotels renting bikes. The main issue is legal riders. To get proper insurance I believe that the renter must have a valid licence. Then they need a copy of credit card, licence and passport. (This is normal practice for renting in Europe/USA etc.) The next problem - how does the clerk in the resort know that the licence is legit? Guests from Russia, Greece. Israel, Japan, Korea, China etc - none with 'English' worded licences. All of this for a one day rent of 200 baht?

Now look at the problem from the owner's point of view. Young Turk turns up and is staying in a 500 baht a night lodge. Wants to rent a bike. Never ridden one before and rights it off it on his first ride. Does a runner from his accomdation and gets on the next ferry. Bike owner out of pocket by quite a few grand. Shouldn't the owner have some kind of security?

Personally I hand over my driving licence and 5,000 baht deposit - along with details of my hotel. I always get a bike eventually.

That all makes sense except for the last part. I would never hand over my license as it's needed if you get stopped by plod. A copy, okay. It's also illegal for a Brit to hand over their passport. It doesn't belong to the holder, it belongs to the British Government so it's actually against the law to hand over your passport. Most places accept a photocopy though. Insurance for a bike, never heard of that in Thailand!.

• Like 1

Can you guess how much I love you ?

Thank you so much not to recommend this island to any one ! So funny you are to go in a quiet part of the island then expect moving !!!

NO WE DO NOT NEED MORE PEOPLE WITH STUPID MOTORCYCLE TO BRING NOISE AND POLLUTION.

NO WE DO NOT WANT MORE TOURISTS.

YES YOU SHOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE like Haad Rin or even SAMUI to live with the crowd of drunk and drugged.

Thank you again for all !!!

• Like 2

Can you guess how much I love you ?

Thank you so much not to recommend this island to any one ! So funny you are to go in a quiet part of the island then expect moving !!!

NO WE DO NOT NEED MORE PEOPLE WITH STUPID MOTORCYCLE TO BRING NOISE AND POLLUTION.

NO WE DO NOT WANT MORE TOURISTS.

YES YOU SHOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE like Haad Rin or even SAMUI to live with the crowd of drunk and drugged.

Thank you again for all !!!

Your name suggests you run or work at a factory outlet. Who are your main customers, tourists or locals?

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

NEVER give up your passport to anyone. If they will not take a copy walk away. Koh Phanang is a place i would totally avoid for numerous reasons. Krabi and Koh Phi Phi are no better. But if your into hanging with thousands of other often drunk foreigners go for it. Millions of others yearly do.

• Like 1

Just ask the hotel to call a A/C taxi for you, will cost you 500 baht per ride (like Singapore)

Well I don't think that would happen, on KP .... unless the resort has it's own A/C car or truck.... but one could request sitting in the front of the truck with the driver....

Larger * resorts have mini buses though... for 500 baht it would depend where the resort is located into relation to where one is headed .... they are more into multi- people rides over there... It's not the same same as Samui!

NEVER give up your passport to anyone. If they will not take a copy walk away. Koh Phanang is a place i would totally avoid for numerous reasons. Krabi and Koh Phi Phi are no better. But if your into hanging with thousands of other often drunk foreigners go for it. Millions of others yearly do.

Hey don't knock Krabi, admittedly it's not as nice as 20yrs ago but where is? It's still a pretty cool place to be.

You still won't be able to rent a bike without leaving your passport though!

Edited by fasteddie

Guess better head back to your own party island. You are making comments without knowing anything about the island, Thai culture etc......

Perhaps take up reading forums & studying destinations before setting foot on a plane.

Perhaps you should also know that Uber is illegal in BKK & vehicles not licensed or insured to carry passengers.

Correction. Uber X is currently illegal. Uber Black is fully licensed. Uber lawyers are greasing palms to get Uber made legal as I type.

The OP is right. The 'third world country' excuse is just that - a reason to keep everything sub-par crap. Thailand can't be both a backwater clown show and expensive retreat for wealthy travelers like we keep hearing they want it to be.

Edit: Leaving Passports at a motorbike rental shop is not only dumb it is quite illegal. Millions of vehicles are rented all of the world by travelers. Why do they have to re-invent the wheel in Thailand? Oh, I know. Because there would be so much fraud with the credit cards holds that Amex and Visa would dump the merchants involved and the situation would be as it is with these dark horse players.

Edited by BudRight

Been to Koh Phangan.

It's not really a place you want to run around on a motorcycle anyway. The roads are treacherous, and the few sightseeing places turn out to be seasonal waterfalls that are about a meter high--dry until about July.

The idea of the island is to find a nice resort, relax and stay put. If you got to get around use the services of the many longtail boats available. The trip will be much more relaxing, scenic and safer!

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2