Thai Govt To Investigate Massive Monk Pilgrimage

Lite Beer

Thai Govt To Investigate Massive Monk Pilgrimage

By Khaosod Eng.

14226859871422686080l.jpg

BANGKOK — A senior official in the Thai military government says authorities will launch an inquiry into a "monk pilgrimage" that caused a massive traffic gridlock outside of Bangkok yesterday.

Suwapan Tanyuwattana, Minister to the Office of the Prime Minister, said many motorists have complained about the month-long march, which was organized by a Buddhist sect called Dharmakaya. The majority of the route was through Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi provinces, but some stretches overlapped with major roads in Bangkok's northern and northwestern suburbs, which are already notorious for heavy rush hour traffic.

At least 1,000 monks marched in the event, which called Pilgrimage for Victorious Dharma, Path of the Saints who Defeat Evil, Dharma Walk to Restore World's Morality, while Dharmakaya worshipers lined the route and laid down carpets and flowers. Dharmakaya, a Buddhist sect founded in the 1960s, has organized similar mass pilgrimages in the past.

"I have instructed the National Office of Buddism to summon those related to the pilgrimage for a discussion in order to find a solution to the public's troubles, especially the issue of traffic," Suwapan said yesterday. "We will also look into the behavior and practice of the Dharmakaya sect."

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1422685987

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-31

• Like 1

This is the Dharmakaya. Not sure where they fit into the present situation. I guess someone got a little jittery what they are marching for.

Their support group probably includes the mothers/mothers in law/wives of quite a few influential people. A force to be reckoned with!

So are you taking bets that the world's morality will be restored? Assuming it ever existed.

Over the past few years, here in CM, I have observed traffic jams created by parades of all kinds for all occasions red shirts, yellow shirts, various schools, police awaiting a VIP convoy, over height loads stuck in underpass, funeral processions, monks collecting/parading/chanting, etc, injured animals, accidents, and more I have probably forgotten.

With the exception of the accidents and injuried animals, the rest may/should have needed permits which can be denied as well as approved.. Don't blame the participatents nor ask them for advice on solving the gridlocks they create. Does anyone do what they are paid to do in this country? Who issues permits, the water department?

A military run organization should realize how to set up a system that moves eqipment/essentials, and who to put in charge and it certainly should not those who give out permits which result in disrupting the needs of the people.

• Like 1

This is the Dharmakaya. Not sure where they fit into the present situation. I guess someone got a little jittery what they are marching for.

Their support group probably includes the mothers/mothers in law/wives of quite a few influential people. A force to be reckoned with!

So are you taking bets that the world's morality will be restored? Assuming it ever existed.

Haha. It would just be a case of most people in power not wanting to take any risks that they might have to cross paths with this lot. Literally and metaphorically. Paranoia is rising and I bet some people are afraid where the cookie monster might be likely to hide.

• Like 1

Amazing. They've been doing this for 4 years or so and the glorious leader wants to summon them? A bit of attitude adjustment coming to a Wat near you... Yet those crazy loons that stick swords through their faces on behalf of vegetarianism and block traffic for hours are okay?

Edited by Alwyn