Exporters urged to avoid unloading goods at US West Coast

Lite Beer

Exporters urged to avoid unloading goods at US West Coast
By Digital Content

14226813511001-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 31 -- Poor management at ports along the United States West Coast has led to rising expenses as well as delays in unloading goods and Thai exporters are advised to have their goods delivered to the East Coast or other ports in Canada, according to Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, director-general of Commerce Ministry’s International Trade Promotion Department.

Ms Nuntawan said her ministry had received a report from the Thai Trade Centre in Los Angeles saying that a problem of US – Thailand trade could occur due to ongoing dispute prevailing at ports along the US West Coast, causing “unnecessary rising expenses” to exporters.

Thai exporters should, therefore, have their goods unloaded at ports along the East Coast or at other ports in Canada and then transport them by trucks to the US, she said.

Although oil prices have declined and help lowered goods delivery costs in the US, preventing workers from entering ports to work would force deliverers to switch to using other ports which would push up costs which consumers will have to bear at the end, said Ms Nuntawan.

Meanwhile, Jirapaphan Malithong, executive director of Thai Trade Centre at Los Angeles, said that the expected switching of ports could cause a shortage of certain goods in the US.

For example, 866 million pairs of shoes imported by the US, of which 68 per cent of them would be unloaded at Los Angeles and Long Beach, said Ms Jirapaphan.

They are awaiting unloading and would probably not be delivered to stores in time for when schools reopen or for the upcoming spring and summer seasons. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-31

This has been going on for months and really gets very little press here in Los Angeles

but it is a big problem , the dockworkers have "slowed down" and the back up going in and out of LA is HUGE

last time this happened the shippers put the containers on the train and sent them to Texas ,

Nice idea but there was major damage on the contents from 1500 miles of bouncing on the train,

the shippers were not told this was going to happen and packed the containers like they always do for a softer sea journey ,

They were also offloading in Baja California.....

"Thai exporters should, therefore, have their goods unloaded at ports along the East Coast or at other ports in Canada and then transport them by trucks to the US, she said."

Surely shipping to east coast ports is slower via Suez canal?

Thai shippers probably have the option of shipping via Prince Rupert B.C., or Vancouver B.C. and still get to Chicago as fast or faster than Long Beach, Oakland

or Seattle - Tacoma, depending on the RR connections. Chances are they share vessels with China and other S.E.Asian countries?

Perhaps someone more familiar with US ports can comment?

http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch2en/appl2en/NA_east_coast_routing.html

For example, 866 million pairs of shoes imported by the US, of which 68 per cent of them would be unloaded at Los Angeles and Long Beach, said Ms Jirapaphan.

Wow, does everyone in the US now wear shoes from Thailand?

I work for a shoe manufacturer in Thailand and the US is the largest consumer by far. The EU is a distant second.

Are you the sole representative?smile.png

Because of the high cost of labor in Thailand, most shoes are now made in China, Indonesia, Vietnam and Cambodia .

I work for a shoe manufacturer in Thailand and the US is the largest consumer by far. The EU is a distant second.

Or the Achilles Heel of the company ?

Or the mentally challenged rep for TV.

I hear you, but do you think that a single shipment of 866 Million pair of shoes from Thailand only is a realistic number?

Imported from China to Thailand and then exported to the US. Anything made here wouldn't fit. US Size 12 shoe made in Thailand is really a US Size 10.

Oh, as if shipping into Thailand is a better experience. Colleagues tell me of all the bribes, delays, and BS one goes thru to ship or receive.

Sounds like your colleagues are clueless. Containers usually clear and get delivered from laem chabang in under 48 hours from arriving in the port. No BS as its all done electronically.

Ah crap, I was gunna use that one! But, I am not going to make a heal out of myself complaining. facepalm.gif

LOL....shortage of school shoes in the USA .......another classic.......

School shoes in USA?

It is not Thailand where what kind of shoe you where in school is mandated.

In USA,kids wear any shoes they damn well please to school.

Except those poor catholic school kids!

• Like 2

LOL....shortage of school shoes in the USA .......another classic.......

School shoes in USA?

It is not Thailand where what kind of shoe you where in school is mandated.

In USA,kids wear any shoes they damn well please to school.

Except those poor catholic school kids!

'I was being ironical...google it ;-) '

'They are awaiting unloading and would probably not be delivered to stores in time for when schools reopen or for the upcoming spring and summer seasons'

And what planet is she on? Schools resumed three weeks ago in the USA.

I think her coffee was laced this morning..... talking nonsense. Lots of loafers available here, but not so popular in USA. Maybe a shoestring budget won't allow using other port? BTW School gets out usually mid June. I was a teacher there, and counted the days...

So send the shoes back. Most Americans have closets full of shoes anyway.

The thing I never like about shoes is "Thainess." tongue.png