Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues

Lite Beer

Tourisms will drop 99%cheesy.gifwai2.gif

Sounds like the estimate given here when the Immigration Crackdown was in full swing, yet I still have to dodge those pesky tourists on Pattaya's non-existent footpaths each night. I doubt that the families in Isaan who depend on the money coming out of Pattaya to eat each month share your apparent joy at the prospect of tourist numbers dropping ever further. I doubt that anyone who lives in Thailand really wants to see this country in the grip of high unemployment, but when Gen Prayut admitted that exports are 'deteriorating' I thought it was an extraordinary admission - the rest of his little pep talk left me wondering just how bad things really are in agriculture, a much larger sector than tourism. The interesting times that lie ahead will go far beyond tourism's woes.

• Like 1

Can close them all down for all I care, just 'hubs' of crime, exploitation, drugs, lies and mostly crappy sex.

Lets assume you've experience all of the above in each of the aforementioned hubs firsthand, could you go into a little more detail regarding the sex which wasnt 'crappy' ? Preferably with the name of the venue and a rough idea of the date of your last visit. Thanks.

• Like 2

Don't be surprised if you see a lot of scantily-clad young ladies sitting in front of newly emerged hardware stores, seven-elevens, office supply stores, jewelry shops, travel agencies, language schools and other non-entertainment venues.

and a million sexpats cried out in horror..

Last night i saw what looked like a SWATteam. at NANAplaza.

What did a Swat team going to Nana look like? Line of police with their pipes out? That's just a usual night down there.

more like 90% are in a bind.

When it was the beach umbrellas and the poor food vendors getting their lively hoods taken away with no warning , many were shouting yahoo without a thought for all those people out of jobs. But oh no! !! Closing down those girlie bars,with all those young girls, that the old guys like. It's a different tune.
However,in many countries now, it is not the girl who is prosecuted. But the person who encourages/facilitates the act.
Probably put 50% of the guys on here in a bind wouldn't it.??

It could be that vice is soon going to be monopolized nationally by someone 'connected to Chinese mafia godfathers'.

Kudos. You get the regional award for astute speculation. This region has always been under Chinese Influence and will now fall even further into the Chinese fold of red flag wavers post-ASEAN celebrations and the coming BRICS triumph. This was decided several years ago by the backers of the global dialectic that has financed both sides of the Pond, the Rubicon, the Rhine, The Euphates, The Thames, the Mason-Dixon Line, 9/11 and Lansky vs. Hoover. Bravo . . .

Guess what ? I did not meet her in a bar.

OMG! Millions of foreign sex tourists, expats, perverts and alcoholics will have to go elsewhere. If this is true. One of my happiest moments in Thailand. I can hear the moans already on the forum.

It's all right for you Jungle Jim, they named a bar in Soi Cowboy after you, what about the rest of the guys?
attachicon.gifJJ.jpg
Heheh his ex bar girl wife must run it.

If it is true i and many of my foreign friends will be jumping for joy. The sex tourists will have to leave. YEA!

the oldest profession in the World and now gone

it is a sad day indeed

mark this in your diaries

1st Feb 2015 a day that will live in infamy.

• Like 1

Just for few minutes lets assume THAILAND is free from PROSTITUTION, lets check the Tourist incoming DATA and investments as HUB....

I bet the result will make your jaw drop faster then blinking your eyes.....

Not really, but all that redundant use of the CAPS LOCK is making me nauseous. What would make my jaw drop would be a contraction in China coinciding with the General's reforms here in Thailand - a country that relies on exports saddled with a strong currency, weak domestic demand and rising unemployment : a perfect storm. Forget sex tourism - that will be the least of Thailand's problems if the doomsayers finally have their crystal balls validated.

To get rid of prostitution you cannot simply outlaw it, it needs to be made a less attractive option for the people who might take that route. This means better jobs, better pay, better education and more opportunities for employment. Some form of basic welfare for the elderly would be good too as it would remove pressure on families to send the daughters out to work early, often forcing them into the most plentiful source of employment out of necessity- prostitution.

Outlawing prostitution would simply push the activity into more dangerous venues and remove the ability to police areas where it takes place effectively.

That said, this sounds more like permission to put the squeeze on bar owners and perhaps focus the activity into a few larger venues/areas by shutting down smaller hotspots. This would allow better policing of trafficking and child prostitution, which I think we can all agree would be a good thing.

• Like 2

How do you arrest a venue! Right then, come along with me you naughty Nana Plaza, you're nicked!!

How do you arrest a postcode or an entire part of a city or resort?

The USA does it, the bastards...

Civil forfeiture is a procedure that permits police to confiscate property without convicting, or even charging, the owner with any crime.

The cases have names like these:

• United States vs. 867 County Road 227

• United States vs. $124,700 in US Currency

• United States vs. James Daniel Good Real Property.

While prostitution may be illegal in Thailand, there is a big loophole in how Thailand defines prostitution:

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;"

Without the part in red, in Thailand's legal eyes it would be prostitution just for the benefit of not satisfying being horny. Well that is my take being from the US where how a law is worded is often more important than the intent which I assume when they say benefit it is to mean material or monetary benefit.

Benefit = relief? whistling.gif Interesting possible legal interpretation here.

But the reality is you will never stop prostitution, has been around since time immemorial. That is a reality of life, like it or not. Maybe a better choice is to CONTROL it?

By all means put more real effort (not words for happiness of Thai peoples) to stamp out child prostitution and human trafficking. wai.gif

• Like 1

Walking Street? Nana? Loi Khro? they gotta be joking right?

Don't kid yourself it could not happen, the mayor of Manila cleaned up the scene on Roxas blvd in PI in the early 90's, The people here in power now can do what they like, they are only answerable to those above them, and they are not friends of the tacky nightlife, Thai or falang.

• Like 1

If it is true i and many of my foreign friends will be jumping for joy. The sex tourists will have to leave. YEA!

the oldest profession in the World and now gone

it is a sad day indeed

mark this in your diaries

1st Feb 2015 a day that will live in infamy.

its not going to happen

the sexpat makes up a very small % of tourists to Thailand

most tourist come here for the Thainess, the food and the beautiful, quiet, safe clean Islands and beaches

Walking Street? Nana? Loi Khro? they gotta be joking right?

Don't kid yourself it could not happen, the mayor of Manila cleaned up the scene on Roxas blvd in PI in the early 90's, The people here in power now can do what they like, they are only answerable to those above them, and they are not friends of the tacky nightlife, Thai or falang.

And what happened to tourism in Manila afterwards, big big decline. It is all about demand.