Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues

Lite Beer

I have to disagree with you on that. Most do not come here for the Thainess otherwise they would be much more behaved which many are not. Thailand attracts numerous alcoholics no Thainess in that. It attracts numerous foreign criminals, but most of all attracts some very questionable sex tourists. No Thainess in that. If what you saying is the case. Pattaya , the Full Moon Party , Koh Phi Phi and numerous other bars would not be full every night. The majority would be out in the towns far from the tourist hangouts. Where are they?

If it is true i and many of my foreign friends will be jumping for joy. The sex tourists will have to leave. YEA!

the oldest profession in the World and now gone

it is a sad day indeed

mark this in your diaries

1st Feb 2015 a day that will live in infamy.

its not going to happen

the sexpat makes up a very small % of tourists to Thailand

most tourist come here for the Thainess, the food and the beautiful, quiet, safe clean Islands and beaches

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-

Koh phi Phi is majority Muslim and you are flat out getting a beer most of the time !!

But you did come here for the Thainess? You obviously didn´t do your research before you came here and moved to the wrong country. Well I think it is unfair that the rest of us who did should have to live up to your morals and expectations. Thailand is for alcoholics and ¨questionable¨ sex tourists, it´s made a fortune from it. It has propped up immeasurable families in rural areas and they continue to feed off it. the reason Russians aren´t liked here is because they don´t spend money in those venues.

Personally I like the tourist hangouts !!!

Finally! I hope it's a serious effort. Thailand's reputation has long been tarnished by this filthy trade. Also, the prostitution attracts some if the worst kinds of people to Thailand.

When I see signs that the junta is prepared to seriously address police corruption and the lack of enforcement which seems to go with a 'user pays' police force, I'll sit up and take notice. If they want to shut down a few venues, fine with me, and they can move the Coconut Bar gals elsewhere, but shutting down every venue housing prostitutes simply wont happen.

TAT will not be pleased to hear this,as that is what a lot of tourists

come here for,not just for temples,culture,food etc,if this does take

off,what will a sterile,squeaky clean Thailand be like.

regards Worgeordie

Hopefully nothing like the sleazy booze addled sexpit it is now. The locals, and farang bar owners alike, will have to put some imagination and effort into providing entertainment venues for all, instead of merely throwing up a bamboo bar stocked with upcountry farm girls for the 'quality' few. Can't bloody wait!

After living a couple years in Asia and initially being open minded about prostitution, I now honestly find the prostitution industry disgusting. A lot of these girls and ladyboys are hardened criminals. It perpetuates crime, abuse, exploitation. Thailand has basically become the whore of the world, there's nothing anywhere in the world that compares. I understand the Thais are sick of it and want to stop playing this role. It's got to change some time. There's a lot more they could build on.

• Like 1

Just another daily piece to try and make them look as though they are doing something with higher morals.

Had to create a grand illusion that he is doing something after his embarrassments of the last week.

Should at least do a media release that is plausible / believable.

Not more crazy rants like this. The big boss would end up in a coffin himself - if he ever tried to implement this.

It is all just insanity and you should all just have a good laugh at this kind of dribble - that has now almost become a daily event.

You might be right, although I can remember many similar statements from the police in the past.

Even if it is more serious, it's a reflection of Thailand's poor human rights/trafficking rating and an attempt to try to do something about the thousands of Lao/Cambodian and other girls working in the brothels and karaoke bars in Thai towns, many of whom are underage and forced to work. It's nothing to do with the already well regulated sex industry catering for foreigners or the many massage parlours aimed at high-end Thais.

You hit the nail on the head, it´s all about trying to regain the rating they just lost on the world stage for human trafficking. The reality of that is it almost all occurs in Thai joints anyway. Same as the fishing boat ¨crackdown¨

Edited by RigPig

Learned men say the "oldest profession" is the formation of men into groups for sanctioned killing. It's called soldiering and its been around since the first group of males got together to go steal their neighbor's land, goods, and savage their women. Nah ... prostitution is a weak second.

its not going to happen

the sexpat makes up a very small % of tourists to Thailand

most tourist come here for the Thainess, the food and the beautiful, quiet, safe clean Islands and beaches

Yeah your right but men had to do something in their spare time when they weren´t partying with the boys 5 5 5

That's why there is a "barfine". Any act of prostitution takes place elsewhere, not on the premises.

The collection of a barfine falls into the classification of "living off the avails of prostitution" or "profiting from the running of a bawdy house". In simple language it is pimping. This is an illegal activity.

The interpretation of the activity is quite similar around the world. Even in countries where the physical act of prostitution is not illegal, the pimping activity is. Anyone who has been in a Thai bar has seen the mamasan keep track of the barfines in a ledger. Whenever a girl (or boy) leaves with a customer it is written down. If the tax department had any desire to collect unpaid tax on income, it would seize these ledger books and ask for the tax due, along with a hefty fine.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lets be honest here, some of us are saying that places like Nana and Cowboy etc are going to be safe. Are they?

How do you know?

This is just the START of something, and I for one would be willing to bet that these places will definitely see some kind of shake up in the coming months.

IMO , its all a house of cards. Sure - the Thai karaoke bars etc that farangs never visit will undoubtedly get hit, but the people that have their stakes in these places, will undoubtedly have stakes in the "legal" entertainment centres.

Face it - none of us can read Prayut's mind, you DONT know what he's planning, and I for one think it's extremely likely that the infamous red light districts that cater to the "wrong" kind of tourist, will undergo some major changes.

I've passed through the soi where Nana is on, late of an evening and the place is littered with prostitutes who are plying their trade.

Those days will soon be gone. You can't have a national crackdown on prostitution, but just ignore those places and think that it will continue in the same fashion as it did before.

As to loopholes etc, that as may be, but I seriously think there will be some MAJOR changes. Expect heavy police presence at the very least, for a considerable period, in these areas.

The PM and his team are not blind to what is happening.

It wouldn't surprise me if a farang exiting these places with a girl on his arm, could be questioned when outside, by police.

Anyway - I haven't got a crystal ball, but Im willing to bet my bottom dollar that it's going to be entertaining.

Best have your wits about you if you go to these places.

And lastly, it wouldn't surprise me if they DO take a European spin on this and start going after the men themselves - lets wait and see.

And NO - I don't think it will just be a matter of paying off the police, if you're caught doing something, that kind of activity is right at the top of Prayut's no-no list right now, and these new measures and shakedowns are designed to CHANGE things, not provide the police with a way of making more money on the side.

Places like Ratchada, Nana and Cowboy will not be closed down because of who owns those establishments, I mean Prayuth could try but he'd be upsetting some in his own ranks by doing so....

I hear you, and don't downright disagree, but as foreigners here, speaking on hearsay about who owns these places, etc, we would be foolish to think that Prayut has to turn a blind eye - he hasn't so far and many top brass have taken a tumble.

I actually think he will implement new regulations that will be much harder for the foreigner to have free and easy access to these women as they did before.

At least - for the time being - ie till he leaves power - which will be in 3-5 years.

I don't think you could be more wrong! (Except about him being in power for 3-5 years!). The regulated sex industry will continue as usual.

The only ones that will suffer are the 40 year olds with 4 kids from 6 different Thai boy friends trying to find a sucker in the bar. The others will still do OK....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hear you, and don't downright disagree, but as foreigners here, speaking on hearsay about who owns these places, etc, we would be foolish to think that Prayut has to turn a blind eye - he hasn't so far and many top brass have taken a tumble.

I actually think he will implement new regulations that will be much harder for the foreigner to have free and easy access to these women as they did before.

At least - for the time being - ie till he leaves power - which will be in 3-5 years.

I don't think you could be more wrong! (Except about him being in power for 3-5 years!). The regulated sex industry will continue as usual.

I don't know how you can possibly say that, when you don't, and can't know the extent of what his plans are.

As I stated in pervious posts, the regulated sex industry has to and WILL face a shake up of sorts.

Neither you nor I have a crystal ball- and Im certianly willing to be proved utterly wrong - but it stands to reason that the red-light districts will undergo a shake up. Everybody knows what these places are - and by definition they are HUBS of P4P.

Indeed - if Prayut and his cronies DON'T do something, then there really is NO shakedown on prostitution.

I think Prayut has a mandate to try and change Thailand's image internationally, because he wants "quality tourists". If we obliterate ( for the sake of argument) the 3 major red light districts in BKK, and a lot of the sea front filth in Pattaya, then that would actually promote Bangkok as being a place finally worthy of "quality tourists".

Believe it or not - I met a long time Asia resident from OZ the other day, who had never heard of the dodgy massage experience in BKK - and I'm not talking about happy endings.

What IS infamous is Soi C, Nana and PP.

Lets wait and see.

I'm not foolish enough to say Im right 100% - because we don't know yet - but Im willing to bet we will see some BIG changes to these established areas.

The only shake up will be the money paid and who to, but that´s not exploitation is it ?

Good news, but hopefully he goes after the foreigner orientated sex industry as well. Regardless that the girls are there willingly and make tons of money, those places have a toxic effect on Thailand's reputation in the world. Hopefully a wrecking ball is in store for Nana and Soi Cowboy in the near the future.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thailand made it´s own reputation and has fed off it for years, you reap what you sow

There are no doubts that the Thailand adult entertainments establishments have been eroded over the years. Mr Thaksin in all his glory vowed to clean up Thailand`s image as being the sex capital of the world and the powers that be have since lived up to that promise.

Thailand is no longer the adult playground of the world and for what`s left has got attitude and become expensive. I doubt that the warnings of further clamp downs on the countries sex industry is just idle threats, this time I believe them.

You should leave the rice paddy occasionally, there is no sign of that happening where I live, but I am just a sexpat alcoholic (according to most on here) I guess

But then I like the beaches, quality hospitals, tenderloin steak, Jack Daniels and dare I say it the women.....

Dont know why I came here really whistling.gif

Edited by RigPig

There are no doubts that the Thailand adult entertainments establishments have been eroded over the years. Mr Thaksin in all his glory vowed to clean up Thailand`s image as being the sex capital of the world and the powers that be have since lived up to that promise.

Thailand is no longer the adult playground of the world and for what`s left has got attitude and become expensive. I doubt that the warnings of further clamp downs on the countries sex industry is just idle threats, this time I believe them.

Well - there you go.

Although it's gonna be a jagged pill for some to swallow, you are going to have to face up to the facts, that a long time ago Prayut stated that his mandate was to promote QUALITY TOURISTS for Thailand.

So - simple deduction skills - What would be considered an Inferior Quality Tourist?

Got it?

The rest of it - will soon be history folks.

I agree with the posts talking about victims of exploitation and the lesser of 2 evils etc, but the fact remains that unless you actually DO something drastic, prostitution will continue unabated.

Also - the fact that the sex tourism in Thailand accounts for a small percentage of actual tourism, supports the notion that it wouldn't matter if the red light districts were shut down, in terms of economic revenue.

Whist some of you may miss being able to go out and visit these places and pay for sex, you might have to wake up to the fact that earthly nirvana has it's limits and its end.

Prayut has a serious plan in mind - and its going to affect the P4P business in Thailand in a major way.

Definition : Quality Tourist?

Those who spend money and go home.

Prayut has a serious plan in mind - and its going to affect the P4P business in Thailand in a major way.

UNLESS you are a quality tourist.....

Finally! I hope it's a serious effort. Thailand's reputation has long been tarnished by this filthy trade. Also, the prostitution attracts some if the worst kinds of people to Thailand.

Such a bitter old geezer.

It is because P4P sex is so readily available and acceptable in Thailand that there are so many incentive groups from all around Asia coming to Thailand and generating lots of income for lots of businesses here.

These "worst kinds of people" are in fact highly successful, professional and most of all wealthy.

I know lots of "local" senior managers (up to CEO level) of multinationals from various Asian countries that come to Thailand for R&R. I would definitely not consider them as some of the worst kinds of people to Thailand.

Expand your horizons a little. Phuket is not the centre of the universe/

• Like 1

TAT will not be pleased to hear this,as that is what a lot of tourists

come here for,not just for temples,culture,food etc,if this does take

off,what will a sterile,squeaky clean Thailand be like.

regards Worgeordie

Hopefully nothing like the sleazy booze addled sexpit it is now. The locals, and farang bar owners alike, will have to put some imagination and effort into providing entertainment venues for all, instead of merely throwing up a bamboo bar stocked with upcountry farm girls for the 'quality' few. Can't bloody wait!

After living a couple years in Asia and initially being open minded about prostitution, I now honestly find the prostitution industry disgusting. A lot of these girls and ladyboys are hardened criminals. It perpetuates crime, abuse, exploitation. Thailand has basically become the whore of the world, there's nothing anywhere in the world that compares. I understand the Thais are sick of it and want to stop playing this role. It's got to change some time. There's a lot more they could build on.

After living (only) a couple of years in Asia, do you feel that you are qualified to make a statement about the way things are?

I thought it was illegal to dance naked in Thailand. Does anyone know what the law is regarding top less and naked dancing?

Perhaps a few of our more knowledgeable punters can tell us whether the naked dancers in Nana and Cowboy are performing in bars owned or controlled by important policemen. (If that is at all possible in this country?)

There is no nudity at Nana. All the girls are tastefully dressed in bikinis or coyote outfits. Certain bars on soi Cowboy are able to "get away with" a litle more, but I won't name them. Pattaya is another case altogether and has a great system of flashing warning lights when the girls need to cover up!

i m not sure if you are joking or not about Nana. smile.png

but the clubs i have accidentally wandered into in cowboy are topless to 100% naked.

and there is no way they could "cover up" because they have nothing on at all and no time to get off stage.

so i guess this answers that question.

the more naked they are the more illegal the club is.

yes?

just trying to hear from someone who knows the actual law.

but the clubs i have accidentally wandered into in cowboy are topless to 100% naked. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

just trying to hear from someone who knows the Factual law.

It depends on the thickness of the brown envelope!!!

Seriously they are not supposed to get their gear off, the last time I ¨accidentally¨¨went into one it had a glass floor and it was pretty hard not to see the crack in the system whistling.gif

Nana, Cowboy, Patpong ... are legal entertainment venues.

Edit: As well as other areas including much of Pataya.

The venues may be legal but what of some of the activities conducted or organised within ?

What activities? This article is about prostitution. The bars and gogos aimed at foreigners are already tightly regulated.

Prostitution isn't an activity ?

Prostitution isn't an activity ? Really, so what do they do just stand there and do absolutely nothing?

There goes the TAT's projected revenue and GDP down by about 60%!!! blink.png

It's a shame that - even in the boom years - tourism is less than 10% of GDP, even with the flow-on income from tourists finding its way into the pockets of Thais who have no direct involvement with the horde.

Recorded, reported revenues maybe. Realistically, 15% easy. There's several million Thais in tourist related industry. -5% GDP will put Thailand into a solid recession. I believe rice only accounts for 8% of GDP, mostly a subsistence industry (FDI is the biggest ticket, also in trouble fwiw).

A perfect play to find another revenue source for tea money and paste on a patina of moralism to add to the charade. Business as usual.

Patina of moralism to satisfy the Western World - particularly America - me thinks.

I just don't understand why they don't let people do what they want to do - so long as it does no harm to anybody else.

Porn movies are a good example of this - they are widely available and depict just about every act imaginable. People are now bored with it. The people who need to be protected are the people who are unable to protect themselves - children for example. Child exploitation is disgusting and any person committing such a crime should be punished to the full extent of the law.

Except Thai women, especially if they are starring in it.....

The venues may be legal but what of some of the activities conducted or organised within ?

What activities? This article is about prostitution. The bars and gogos aimed at foreigners are already tightly regulated.

Prostitution isn't an activity ?
Prostitution isn't an activity ? Really, so what do they do just stand there and do absolutely nothing?

Guess it would depend on what you're paying for. Maybe stand, lie down, on all fours ...

BIB have hardened their attitude, stiffened their resolve and inserted themselves into prostitution rings. Things could get messy. But I can't see a happy ending from this.

Their incursions could get hairy if they're unable to delay their excitement. I hope they have the resolve to pull out in time if the pressure get's too intense.

Well said 5 5 5

If there is truth to this, and to the many that hear this and believe that it will happen, they will be shocked and upset.

Actually, they are going to be down-right pissed-off.

But IMO what we are about to see will change things in Thailand from the way it is today. Things will never be the same again.

This can only mean one thing, a big increase in prices and a shift in the way business is run.

We shall see.

decriminalize it,legalize it,regular health checks,and if done on a voluntary base not out of poverty or forced so bee it...and hold those dam'n boys accountable for their offsprings...

How would you judge who was forced into prostitution , Is pressure from family to earn money not forced, Thai logic is that you take care of your parents,

There might be economic and family pressure but equating it with forced trafficking is ridiculous.

As i have stated how do you define forced, Is not Psychological pressure classed as forced. It would maybe better to go after the abuser, the sex tourists the perverts. hit them hard with life imprisonment. for sex crimes against abused people.

Gee don´t tell my ex that I am sure she could use that to squeeze more out of me after 15 years of marriage !!!

BIB have hardened their attitude, stiffened their resolve and inserted themselves into prostitution rings. Things could get messy. But I can't see a happy ending from this.

lol - Bravo!

These actions are probably just to getting into proper negotiations, that others getting their cut too. whistling.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

Since when does anyone take anything the RTP say seriously ? cheesy.gif

Its more likely to be a message from the RTP that kickback rates are going to increase for those without the licence.

Or increase because other revenue schemes have been curtailed.