Can my dual citizen child leave thailand on a one way ticket with thai passport?

Can my dual citizen child leave thailand on a one way ticket with thai passport?

They entered with a thai passport couple years ago and planning to leave to US with a one way ticket, and were planning to purchase the return flight right around a year later.

Possibility stay over year thus the reason for one way ticket.

Yes they can, show the US passport at check in, this will prove that that they are eligible for travel to the US without a visa and one way, but also have the Thai passport available.

Exiting Immigration they should show their Thai passport, which shows they were in the Kingdom as a Thai national without the need for a visa or reporting requirements. The Thai Immigration Officer wont be concerned with the fact your child is also a US National.

Obviously they will use their US passport to enter the USA.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I was just concerned the immigration officer upon exiting, would makes us require us to show a return flight.

I guess if thats the case we would need to show him a US passport?

But I'm trying to avoid any potential headaches by showing him the US passport.

Edited by tangcoral

Thank you for the reply. I was just concerned the immigration officer upon exiting, would makes us require us to show a return flight.

-------------------------

If the child has a legal Thai passport he or she should have no need to show a return ticket to enter Thailand.

In the same way a U.S. citizen wouldn't need to show a return ticket in entering the U.S.

Thais need no visa to enter Thailand, just to show their Thai passport.

Use the U.S. passport to exit and re-enter the U.S. and use the Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand.

-------------------------

If the child has a legal Thai passport he or she should have no need to show a return ticket to enter Thailand.

In the same way a U.S. citizen wouldn't need to show a return ticket in entering the U.S.

Thais need no visa to enter Thailand, just to show their Thai passport.

Use the U.S. passport to exit and re-enter the U.S. and use the Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand.

Yes this was my initial thoughts, however I had thought the rules were different here and that thais need to show return ticket back to thailand, what you and I thought makes common sense but than again this is thailand.

Maybe its just the US that we do not have to show our US passport when we exit, in fact no one does citizen or not, however why do thais need to show their passport when they leave the country or is this normal practice through the world and US is the only few exception?

UPDATE: After speaking with several airline companies, wife is saying that some of these airline companies will not issue my daughter a one way ticket with thai passport unless they have US passport. And another airline company said they will link both passports to the ticket other wise cannot issue ticket on thai passport only.

Infact they WILL NOT ISSUE one way ticket to ANY thais that only hold a thai passport, I didnt believe this so I made my wife call 2 other airline companies in thailand and again told the same thing. HOW WEIRD

Maybe we received the wrong information but we heard this from 5 other airline companies with offices in thailand.

Thank you for clearing up my own confusion.

Edited by tangcoral

Here is where the problem lies, if I purchase the ticket with a US passport then the boarding pass and the departure card will state the US passport number. This number must match the passport info when shown to the immigration officer upon exiting thailand, which it wouldnt since I plan on showing thai passport.

I do not want to show the US passport as I rather show the thai passport.

But now I am hearing from you guys that the immigration officer will careless if I show the US passport when exiting as long as its accompanied by thai passport, then I guess my problem is solved.

Edited by tangcoral
  • Like 1

Many (most?) countries do require people exiting to show their passport and be stamped out.

The UK abolished such routine checks in the 1990s as a cost saving measure, but I was unaware that the USA had done so too. The UK do carry out random passport checks on people leaving, does the US?

However, in countries where passports are checked on leaving, they are not interested in whether or not the person has the correct entry clearance for their destination; only that they have not overstayed in the country they are leaving.

The airline, or other carrier, are interested as they are subject to large fines if they knowingly carry a passenger who does not have the correct entry clearance for their destination.

So, as suggested above:

• Leaving Thailand; show US passport to airline at check in, Thai passport to Thai immigration.
  • Arriving in USA; show US passport to US immigration.
  • Leaving USA; show Thai passport to airline at check in, US passport, if asked, to US immigration.
  • Arriving in Thailand; show Thai passport to Thai immigration.

Random checks at US airports? Not that I am aware of but I wouldnt be surprised if this is done.

Countries that check if the person overstayed? Why would this be done to thai nationals leaving thailand?

Edited by tangcoral

As suggested by 7by7 and others

• Leaving Thailand; show US passport to airline at check in, Thai passport to Thai immigration.

I would like to do this but the immigration officer will want to see that the boarding pass and departure card passport information be matched , which it will not in our case since we plan on purchasing the ticket with a US passport information, since the airline company will not allow us to by one-way ticket with thai passport.

Is my fear of not wanting to show US passport justified? I do not want to create any issues with exiting immigration officer as we entered thailand without ever showing US passport which has NO STAMPS

Edited by tangcoral

In practice for those of us who actually have seen this go down, the truth is the officer often WILL have a problem with it, and you have to argue the point for 15 mins, sometimes ask to speak to the boss, and sometimes make a call to someone higher up in the food chain. They like to sometimes say that under Thai law you must give up one of the nationalities. This is apparently actually true but not enforced in practice. It was amusing watching my lawyer, half thai friend argue with an officer at the airport on this for 15 mins last year. She said it happened 50% of the time she flew but never once was she actually not let on her way after a bit of discussion/argument.

Thai citizens are free to leave the country and stay abroad as long as want, as far as I know. My wife had no problems to buy a one-way ticket and leave the country. There might be special regulations for traveling to the US. Airlines might be obliged to check if passengers have the right to enter the US. Usually this happens during check-in, not when buying the ticket. Anyway, presenting the US passport during the purchase does not mean that passport info appears on the boarding pass or departure card. Using only the Thai passport at immigration should still be possible.

"They like to sometimes say that under Thai law you must give up one of the nationalities. This is apparently actually true but not enforced in practice."

It's not enforced because it isn't true. There is no 'must give up...' law.

A misconception because of a law that allows a Thai to give up one nationality - if they choose to do so. Nothing about 'must'.

OxfordWill, on 03 Feb 2015 - 13:14, said:

In practice for those of us who actually have seen this go down, the truth is the officer often WILL have a problem with it, and you have to argue the point for 15 mins, sometimes ask to speak to the boss, and sometimes make a call to someone higher up in the food chain. They like to sometimes say that under Thai law you must give up one of the nationalities. This is apparently actually true but not enforced in practice. It was amusing watching my lawyer, half thai friend argue with an officer at the airport on this for 15 mins last year. She said it happened 50% of the time she flew but never once was she actually not let on her way after a bit of discussion/argument.

This only happens very rarely! My Thai wife and I fly much more often than most and have dual citizenship for our child. I have been living in Thailand for 35 years and NEVER has this happened to us or any of my friends in many years of traveling!! Use the US passport when purchasing tickets and checking in and show the Thai passport to immigration. If anyone wants to see the other passport, show it to them, no problem. The only way a problem might arise is if your child is a male and he is close to the age for being inducted into military service. Any other scenarios are remote possibilities and EXTREMELY UNLIKELY! End of story!!

• Like 1

When I left for the US with my dual-nationality 4-year-old daughter last year, I had to provide. an affidavit from my wife, and stamped at our amphur, stating that she approved of OUR daughter leaving the country with me.

The airport immigration officer needed to see it before he would let us through departure.

• Like 2

I bought a 1 way ticket 2 months ago from thailand to oz for both my daughters who have dual citizenship. At check in they want to see both passports,at immigration in Thailand only the Thai passport and when we landed in oz just showed their Australian passport.No problems at all.

So, as suggested above:

• Arriving in USA; show US passport to US immigration.
  • Leaving USA; show Thai passport to airline at check in, US passport, if asked, to US immigration.
  • Arriving in Thailand; show Thai passport to Thai immigration.

My wife and step daughter are both dual Thai and British nationals and follow the above procedure (though, obviously substitute UK for USA and British passport for US passport) every time they visit Thailand.

They have never had a problem.

However, in countries where passports are checked on leaving, they are not interested in whether or not the person has the correct entry clearance for their destination; only that they have not overstayed in the country they are leaving.

Countries that check if the person overstayed? Why would this be done to thai nationals leaving thailand?

Unless immigration see the passport, how will they now that the person leaving is a Thai national?

I would like to do this but the immigration officer will want to see that the boarding pass and departure card passport information be matched , which it will not in our case since we plan on purchasing the ticket with a US passport information, since the airline company will not allow us to by one-way ticket with thai passport.

Is my fear of not wanting to show US passport justified? I do not want to create any issues with exiting immigration officer as we entered thailand without ever showing US passport which has NO STAMPS

The immigration officer in Thailand is not interested in how you bought your ticket and in any case a boarding card does not contain this info.

The airline is only interested in you both being US citizens or having visas if not.

• Like 1

Here is where the problem lies, if I purchase the ticket with a US passport then the boarding pass and the departure card will state the US passport number. This number must match the passport info when shown to the immigration officer upon exiting thailand, which it wouldnt since I plan on showing thai passport.

I do not want to show the US passport as I rather show the thai passport.

But now I am hearing from you guys that the immigration officer will careless if I show the US passport when exiting as long as its accompanied by thai passport, then I guess my problem is solved.

The Airline check in desk and immigration both would ask for visa or permit for the destination. And as thai dont have visa on arrival at US airports thus the passenger will be for sure asked and documents checked. The passenger may be checked again just prior to boarding for correct documentation. This is the usual procedure and will take place in 98% of the cases if flying with Thai passport to US destination.

"They like to sometimes say that under Thai law you must give up one of the nationalities. This is apparently actually true but not enforced in practice."

It's not enforced because it isn't true. There is no 'must give up...' law.

A misconception because of a law that allows a Thai to give up one nationality - if they choose to do so. Nothing about 'must'.

I just got back from the CheangWattana Main Immigration Office and spoke with at least half a dozen officers.

First group of officers behind the front desk which looked to be a senior level with two junior level. Senior level officer did most of the talking, stating "if I were you I would not take the risk of showing that you have dual citizen even if your child is a minor as technically its against the law. 9 out of 10 times you will be fine but do not be surprised if you one of these officer will report you as having dual citizen all the while the two other officers butting in with couple words and nodding their head in agreement.

Not sure if this what some sort of scare tactic or more likely an uninformed employee, so I proceed to wander around looking for another officer to ask and pretty much was in line with what the first group of officers said.

2 strikes I went for the 3rd, I searched for a third officer on the other side of the building and was told the same. Each and every time I said "BUT shes a minor, under 18, infact only 6 yrs old"....and received similar answers in the like of "DOESN'T MATTER, will not guarantee outcome and has seen it happen but not often".

Edited by tangcoral

Thai citizens are free to leave the country and stay abroad as long as want, as far as I know. My wife had no problems to buy a one-way ticket and leave the country. There might be special regulations for traveling to the US. Airlines might be obliged to check if passengers have the right to enter the US. Usually this happens during check-in, not when buying the ticket. Anyway, presenting the US passport during the purchase does not mean that passport info appears on the boarding pass or departure card. Using only the Thai passport at immigration should still be possible.

Can't back it up with facts but I agree Thai citizens have no limit in how long they stay abroad, however "in our experience" the airline companies WILL NOT ISSUE a one way to a thai citizen ticket, maybe USA final destination plays a role in it. Not trying to state names here but the national airline carrier said NO WAY must be purchased with US passport only, while other carriers said we will issue BUT you must provide both passports to be inputted in to the system. This was over the phone conversation and over the phone ticket purchase.

"Anyway, presenting the US passport during the purchase does not mean that passport info appears on the boarding pass or departure card."

This statement makes sense to me.

Edited by tangcoral

The immigration officer in Thailand is not interested in how you bought your ticket and in any case a boarding card does not contain this info.

The airline is only interested in you both being US citizens or having visas if not.

I'm now convinced that they are not interested in how I bought the ticket, but I assumed that this day in age the airline checking system is probably linked to immigration officers system. I admit, I'm being a bit paranoid, but I just dont want to deal with any potential headaches.

Travel frequently with my 2 year old with triple citizenship and never had a problem at any Thai airport. In fact they have always been extremely helpful. I almost always book online and use the Thai passport to complete booking. The usual disclaimer appears stating you must posses the correct visa for the country you are travelling to etc. When asked at check in I show the correct passport to the agent to prove they do not require a vis (have Canadian and Irish). Then use the Thai passport when leaving, no issue. Just remember to complete the arrival/departure card for Thailand. With all due respect for these matters I would never seek the advice of Thai immigration officials. In some cases with some Thai people they do not like to see Thai children leaving Thailand.

• Like 1

I'm now convinced that they are not interested in how I bought the ticket, but I assumed that this day in age the airline checking system is probably linked to immigration officers system. I admit, I'm being a bit paranoid, but I just dont want to deal with any potential headaches.

As I said in my previous post the Thai immigration system has no information on where or how you bought your ticket nor are are they interested.

US Homeland Security do check such info but I doubt they will be interested in you or your daughter.

Dual citizenship isn't recognised under the Thai Nationality Act.

However their seems to be an exception for Thais born to a mother or father of foreign nationality who choose another nationality for their child where their Country accepts dual nationality

Obviously the child isn't old enough to choose for himself, but at the age of 20 that child will be given 12 months to decide which nationality to choose.

Just a fact I thought you should all be aware of, for the future of those who have children with a Thai citizen.

http://www.refworld.org/topic,50ffbce524d,50ffbce525c,506c08862,0,,,THA.html

Nationality Act BE 2508.

Chapter 2. Loss of Thai Nationality.

Section 14.18 A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father or mother

and has acquired the nationality of his father or mother according to law on nationality of his

father or mother, or a person who acquires Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph two

or Section 12/1 (2) and (3) may, if he desires to retain his other nationality, make a

declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining

the age of twenty years, according to such form and in the manner as prescribed in the

Ministerial Regulations.

After consideration of the intention for the renunciation, the Minister shall grant

permission if there is reasonable ground to believe that such person may acquire the

nationality of his father, mother, or a foreign nationality, except in cases where Thailand is

being engaged in armed conflict, or is in state of war, he may order the dispensation of any

renunciation of Thai nationality.

Section 15. 19 Except in the case under Section 14, a person who has Thai nationality

and other nationality, or who acquires Thai nationality by naturalization may, if he desires to

renounce Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to such

form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for renunciation of Thai nationality shall lie with

the discretion of the Minister.

So it appears that at age 21 a child born of Thai /foreigner must either keep the foreign nationality and renounce his Thai nationality, or keep his Thai nationality only.

Faz,

The actual legislation is poorly written (or poorly translated?) and can be confusing.

A child who has Thai and another nationality through birth may renounce their Thai nationality at the age of 20 if they so desire.

A Thai who acquires another nationality through naturalisation may renounce their Thai nationality if they so desire.

A Thai with dual nationality loses non of their rights as a Thai citizen.

The above has previously been confirmed to me by the Thai embassy in London.

This issue has come up many times, such as this topic.

I suggest that you have a read of both Samran's and Arkady's (both of whom know more about Thai nationality law than just about anyone else here) posts in that topic.

In this post from Samran you will find this gem:

As an aside, my aunt who has lived in OZ since the 70s was up this week to get her first Thai ID card since she left for oz back then and married her Australian husband. You know what the ampur found acceptable ID to process her new tabien baan and ID card? Her Australian passport.

• Like 2