Can my dual citizen child leave thailand on a one way ticket with thai passport?

As I said in my previous post the Thai immigration system has no information on where or how you bought your ticket nor are are they interested.

I believe Thailand has already awarded a contract to set up an 'Advance Passenger Information' system like Australia's.

I believe Thailand has already awarded a contract to set up an 'Advance Passenger Information' system like Australia's.

They may, but at present time there is no automatic information exchange of passenger manifest to immigration.

Me and my children are all Thai Australian dual nationals.

We purchased one way tickets to oz for Christmas. The airline simply asked us if we were Australian citizens ( I was doing the booking in Thai ) and I said yes and they happily issued the tickets.

At the airport the airline sighted the Australian passports and scanned them for Australian immigration advance passenger notification system, and that was that.

Thai passports at immigration on the way out and that was that.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

When I left for the US with my dual-nationality 4-year-old daughter last year, I had to provide. an affidavit from my wife, and stamped at our amphur, stating that she approved of OUR daughter leaving the country with me.

The airport immigration officer needed to see it before he would let us through departure.

Hi Mike,

Is the affidavit a form I can obtain somewhere or just a written statement? What other information needs to be on the affidavit?

Could you post or PM me an example (personal info blacked out of course). Did you need to bring any other ID for your daughter (copy of birth certificate or house book)?

I'm planning on going back to the US for a visit next month with my 5yo dual-national son. My wife will not be coming with us on this trip.

Any advise you can give me would be much appreciated!

Also, (maybe a stupid question) when you departed through immigration, there's separate lines for Thai and foreign passport holders. Since you have a US passport and your daughter has a Thai passport which line did you go too?

I took my kids from Thailand on there thai passports and was not even an issue and entered Canada on there Canadian passports .

We stayed in Canada for a year then returned to Thailand . We had no issues

Don't knw if this helps u

Thanks for the reply. Were you traveling without their mother?

I just want to make sure I've got all the bases covered. I'd hate to miss my non-refundable flight because of an issue at the immigration clearance.

Having something official from the mother stating she knows I'm taking the child out of the country seems reasonable.

I wonder if I'm going to have any issues with the US immigration traveling alone with my child?

I got my answer via PM from Mikeuberman. Thanks mike.

For anyone interested, I got the affidavit from our local amphur. It's a form letter written in Thai. Needed to bring original and copies of housebook, sons birth certificate, sons Thai passport, my US passport, wifes ID card (and the wife). Cost 50 baht.

With all due respect for these matters I would never seek the advice of Thai immigration officials.

Gotta agree with you. I first asked my question at our local immigration office and was given a load of BS (bad suggestions). biggrin.png

Their advise was to exit Thailand on his US passport. Their reasoning was "because if you show both, the Thai passport will be confiscated and cancelled. Cannot have both." They also advised to bring a copy of housebook, birth cert, and marrage licence. (no mention of affidavit from mother). blink.png

Thankfully I can get correct information from the members on this forum! clap2.gif

"So it appears that at age 21 a child born of Thai /foreigner must either keep the foreign nationality and renounce his Thai nationality, or keep his Thai nationality only."

As has already been pointed out above, you've left out the choice that most choose. Do nothing and keep both nationalities.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-up report on my travel to the US with my 5 yo Thai/American son.

Departed through the "Thai National" immigration line. Filled out a departure card for my son, presented his Thai passport, affidavit signed by my wife, and a copy of his Thai birth certificate.

The officer had to get his supervisor to look at the documents before we were allowed to exit.

Entered the US using his US passport. Departing the US no questions were asked.

• 9 months later...

Dual citizenship isn't recognised under the Thai Nationality Act.

However their seems to be an exception for Thais born to a mother or father of foreign nationality who choose another nationality for their child where their Country accepts dual nationality

Obviously the child isn't old enough to choose for himself, but at the age of 20 that child will be given 12 months to decide which nationality to choose.

Just a fact I thought you should all be aware of, for the future of those who have children with a Thai citizen.

http://www.refworld.org/topic,50ffbce524d,50ffbce525c,506c08862,0,,,THA.html

Nationality Act BE 2508.

Chapter 2. Loss of Thai Nationality.

Section 14.18 A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father or mother

and has acquired the nationality of his father or mother according to law on nationality of his

father or mother, or a person who acquires Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph two

or Section 12/1 (2) and (3) may, if he desires to retain his other nationality, make a

declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining

the age of twenty years, according to such form and in the manner as prescribed in the

Ministerial Regulations.

After consideration of the intention for the renunciation, the Minister shall grant

permission if there is reasonable ground to believe that such person may acquire the

nationality of his father, mother, or a foreign nationality, except in cases where Thailand is

being engaged in armed conflict, or is in state of war, he may order the dispensation of any

renunciation of Thai nationality.

Section 15. 19 Except in the case under Section 14, a person who has Thai nationality

and other nationality, or who acquires Thai nationality by naturalization may, if he desires to

renounce Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to such

form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for renunciation of Thai nationality shall lie with

the discretion of the Minister.

So it appears that at age 21 a child born of Thai /foreigner must either keep the foreign nationality and renounce his Thai nationality, or keep his Thai nationality only.

This is nonsense from the Thai side. The key word is "may" in terms of the desire to "retain his other nationality" but Thailand has no power over the retention of other nationalities. The key to all this is that Thailand law is indicating that it doesnt' recognize dual nationality. That is, Thai citizens are Thai citizens and not citizens of other countries. That is all fine and dandy. What that means is exit Thailand on a Thai passport, and enter Thailand on a Thai passport. They cannot cancel the Thai passport in any case if you have also a different passport. They might get excited but there are no laws in this area and any Immigration official who is pontificating otherwise may indeed have some power in a given situation but is full of nonsense.

• Like 1

My wife and daughter are Thai and British. There has never been a problem with entry or exit as long as the Thai authorities see a Thai passport and the airline see whichever passport gives leave to enter at the destination.

Occasionally an official seems to take umbridge and choose to ask unnecessary questions and/or call a supervisor. My wife believes this is a bit of power politics fuelled by jealousy. There has never been any question of refusal to allow boarding. Not sure the authorities like having a Thai citizen wave a foreign passport in front of them!

Some delays and problems arise when one parent travels with a child. This relates to fears of trafficking or abduction. Not a bad thing IMO. Make sure there is a letter giving permission to travel from an absent parent wherever possible and applicable.

• Like 1