US: Huckabee compares being gay to using alcohol, profanity

webfact

Being the cynic for a second...

I wonder if this bloke is doing a loyal duty by being a one man jihadist suicide bomber by destroying his political career so that he makes the rest of the GOP field look remarkably mild and middle of the road?

The only other thing I can think of is he knows he has no chance of winning, so is running to the nutbag right to be their standard bearer, and ultimately kingmaker when the real GOP candidate stands up and needs help, and votes.

....anyway, I'll get my tinfoil hat and quietly leave the room.

You'd be surprised but there are many Americans who still think like this guy. They're fast becoming a small minority, but they still number in the millions...which is still a small part of the total US populace. So no, he wasn't "sacrificing" himself, but actually appealing to the GOP far right.

The alcohol and profanity reference happens in the part where he is making the point that he accepts and respects viewpoints other than his own. Specifically about "gay marriage". But instead we get this applied to 'being gay' so all the liberal loons get to snigger of this dumbf#* who doesn't know that being gay is nature, not a lifestyle.

This completely misses the point that 'gay marriage rights' very much is in the realm of opinion, not nature. I (personally) am in favor of gay marriage. Huck is not, and he frames his objection in the same way that he also doesn't approve of me drinking, of me using profanities. He disagrees with my opinion on gray marriage, but accepts that there are differing viewpoints out there.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. When these far right wing dudes compare gay marriage to "something," it's always cloaked in the negative. Like when some other right-wing guy compared gay marriage to incest and bigamy. If he was trying to make his point and be neutral about it, he could have easily used other examples, like "some of my friends prefer brunettes, but I prefer blondes, some like to live in the mountains, I prefer next to the ocean, some prefer their steak rare, I prefer well done...." that sort of thing. But to compare it to a vice or inappropriate behavior? Clearly he was making a point, perhaps without even realizing.

• Like 1

I think easily 25 percent of Americans would think the Hucks views are OK, maybe as high as 40. Hardly a small minority. Largely older and SOUTHERN.

My point is that the truly far right folks are decreasing in numbers year after year, but yes, still sizable. That's why a Tea Party candidate can never win a national election. But even within the GOP, I saw on the news the other day that something like 30% now support gay marriage, which is a tremendous increase from a decade or two ago. We know it's much higher among democrats.

I think easily 25 percent of Americans would think the Hucks views are OK, maybe as high as 40. Hardly a small minority. Largely older and SOUTHERN.

My point is that the truly far right folks are decreasing in numbers year after year, but yes, still sizable. That's why a Tea Party candidate can never win a national election. But even within the GOP, I saw on the news the other day that something like 30% now support gay marriage, which is a tremendous increase from a decade or two ago. We know it's much higher among democrats.

Far right social attitudes on the decline yes. Other far right issues not in decline. You're numbers are very dated. Over 50 percent of Americans now support marriage equality.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And those driving big pickups and living in trailer parks.

Far right social attitudes on the decline yes. Other far right issues not in decline. You're numbers are very dated. Over 50 percent of Americans now support marriage equality.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I said 30% WITHIN THE GOP support gay marriage.

Being the cynic for a second...

I wonder if this bloke is doing a loyal duty by being a one man jihadist suicide bomber by destroying his political career so that he makes the rest of the GOP field look remarkably mild and middle of the road?

The only other thing I can think of is he knows he has no chance of winning, so is running to the nutbag right to be their standard bearer, and ultimately kingmaker when the real GOP candidate stands up and needs help, and votes.

....anyway, I'll get my tinfoil hat and quietly leave the room.

You'd be surprised but there are many Americans who still think like this guy. They're fast becoming a small minority, but they still number in the millions...which is still a small part of the total US populace. So no, he wasn't "sacrificing" himself, but actually appealing to the GOP far right.

So maybe he is wanting to be kingmaker then?

What are the Fox News pundits saying?

If he wins what job for Bill O Reilly?

I'm not a Fox pundit but, if you scroll back to post #30 in this thread, you will find out what this conservative Republican thinks about Huckabee's chances.

I know some Americans just simply ignore threads like this. They are so filled with anti US venom and hate, it is hardly worth reading.

I'm just a sucker for punishment.

Please quote some of the US venom and hate for us please as I can't see anything

We don't hate your country we just find some of your politicians and journalists absolutely hilarious.

Personally, I love America..

As a "Limey" or Brit, I will get slagged off for this, personally, I think New York is the best city in the world.

Worked alongside Americans for years, in the main they are ok, personally I couldnt stand the bloody "gawd squad brigade"

And those driving big pickups and living in trailer parks.

Even from a Brit, that is an incredibly ignorant remark.

• Like 2