Trip to Kanchanaburi

elgenon

A few Thai girls have shown me photos of Kanchanaburi and it looks beautiful. I would like to do a 2 or 3 day trip from BKK. What are the various methods of getting there? How long does the trip take? Where is a great place to stay? I was told there are 2 sets of rooms on the river, Do you recommend either one? What is there to do there?

Basically I want to go and inhale the beauty and mellow out.

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed taking the train (goes from Thpnburi terminal, across river) and staying off River Kwai Road, which also has some fun bars and s down towards the bridge. Lots of options for actually staying on, or down by, the river... just be aware of the disco boats. Erewan Falls and Hellfire Pass are must dos from town, while Tiger temple gets some bad press. Kan Win is a up on Kan'. See this page for overview.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed taking the train (goes from Thpnburi terminal, across river) and staying off River Kwai Road, which also has some fun bars and s down towards the bridge. Lots of options for actually staying on, or down by, the river... just be aware of the disco boats. Erewan Falls and Hellfire Pass are must dos from town, while Tiger temple gets some bad press. Kan Win is a up on Kan'. See this page for overview.

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

I hope the girls are not suggesting that you go visit their parents with them in toe. Once you have seen the river (including the touristic-spectacle that comes with it) Kanchanabury is just another mid-sized town that is not different to a 100 others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if not getting enough "mellowing-out" at your current place of residence, try this: Mae Kwae Road. Overnight guest-house prices range from 250 to 2000 Bht per night. Depending on season, there will be at least 25 to 30 hostesses (not per bar, but on the whole stretch) willing to assist you within any "mellowing-process" that you may have in mind.

Good luck. Cheers.

Wonderful place.

Slightly out of town but Xanadu is a great little resort with swimming pool and a great host.

Agree, i always enjoy a few days there, lovely location, nice people and great food

My favorite place for an easy getaway (from BKK where I live and work) in Thailand? Kanchanburi.

My favorite is Camelia Resort. Was 1000 baht per night, but haven't gotten out of BKK in a while so it may have changed.

My favorite way to get to K-Buri? http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm (Though I usually drive myself nowadays because I can't always get the 06:30 tourist train.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but have only just seen this.

Kanch is a lovely place to 'fill yourself' with history, 'just relax' or both. Now we have stayed there many many times over the past 13 years. We used to stay at the Felix but it's a bit dated now.

So for the past couple of years we have stayed at Good Times Resort which is about 2Kms downstream of the famous bridge. Staff are fantastic and all speak English. Rooms are very nice, clean and new.

A nice restaurant by the river ... see pic from adjacent bridge and of course a pleasant swimming pool.post-17329-0-42295300-1424612221_thumb.j

They also have their own tour company and I understand can arrange transport from BK. What made us choose that place was the reviews on Booking.com

Hope this helps ... if it's too late bad luck!

Sorry, but have only just seen this.

Kanch is a lovely place to 'fill yourself' with history, 'just relax' or both. Now we have stayed there many many times over the past 13 years. We used to stay at the Felix but it's a bit dated now.

So for the past couple of years we have stayed at Good Times Resort which is about 2Kms downstream of the famous bridge. Staff are fantastic and all speak English. Rooms are very nice, clean and new.

A nice restaurant by the river ... see pic from adjacent bridge and of course a pleasant swimming pool.attachicon.gifNew_GTR.jpg

They also have their own tour company and I understand can arrange transport from BK. What made us choose that place was the reviews on Booking.com

Hope this helps ... if it's too late bad luck!

Is it on the river? Couldn't open the photo.facepalm.gif Will check it out. Sounds great and, with the transport, even better.

Not too late! clap2.gif

I am editing this because I got the photo opened. Thanks!

Edited by elgenon

We will be there again 6th-10th March. My wife has to go to a friends wedding in the area ... I'll try and dodge most of the wedding and sit by the river or the pool with a Chang!!

We might also manage a game of golf ... Srinakarin Dam course (EGAT) is just 70Kms away ... just past Erawan ... Ewaran Waterfall is worth a visit, you can swim there.

Edited by JAS21

I hope the girls are not suggesting that you go visit their parents with them in toe. Once you have seen the river (including the touristic-spectacle that comes with it) Kanchanabury is just another mid-sized town that is not different to a 100 others.

But if not getting enough "mellowing-out" at your current place of residence, try this: Mae Kwae Road. Overnight guest-house prices range from 250 to 2000 Bht per night. Depending on season, there will be at least 25 to 30 hostesses (not per bar, but on the whole stretch) willing to assist you within any "mellowing-process" that you may have in mind.

Good luck. Cheers.

it's unlikely that any girls from kan would talk to a farang let alone take them back to see their parents,

as for the hostesses in mae kwae road (if you can find one) will help you melow for sure, melow into old age then relize you havent done anything

My favorite place for an easy getaway (from BKK where I live and work) in Thailand? Kanchanburi.

My favorite is Camelia Resort. Was 1000 baht per night, but haven't gotten out of BKK in a while so it may have changed.

My favorite way to get to K-Buri? http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm (Though I usually drive myself nowadays because I can't always get the 06:30 tourist train.)

I've been told the Camelia is closed for renovation,not when it reopens. And I've heard nice things about Goodtimes(I think,not Goodview).

Still learning about the area and I've downloaded Kan Wins pictures and information.

Thanks KW

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi MAZ3,

Thank you and enjoy Kan as I have all these years. Just promoting this 3rd largest Thai Province, near to BKK, not just that I really love it, it is that after you leave the hassle of BKK and not to mention Kan Town center itself.

It is a Great place to relax, take in the History of Kan, not just WWII by the way, to visit and see what Kan has to offer. thumbsup.gif

We do have quite a few Day Trippers in from BKK don't we swissie just for a short time w00t.gif

As for JAS21 photo, that is on the other side of the river from Kan town. Clue = the Mountains in the back ground. facepalm.gif

Have fun folks and enjoy Kan as I have and hopefully will continue for many a year.

Win wai.gif

• Like 1

Hi MAZ3,

Thank you and enjoy Kan as I have all these years. Just promoting this 3rd largest Thai Province, near to BKK, not just that I really love it, it is that after you leave the hassle of BKK and not to mention Kan Town center itself.

It is a Great place to relax, take in the History of Kan, not just WWII by the way, to visit and see what Kan has to offer. thumbsup.gif

We do have quite a few Day Trippers in from BKK don't we swissie just for a short time w00t.gif

As for JAS21 photo, that is on the other side of the river from Kan town. Clue = the Mountains in the back ground. facepalm.gif

Have fun folks and enjoy Kan as I have and hopefully will continue for many a year.

Win wai.gif

Kan ... no it's not it's on the town side... I took that photo early one morning from the bridge on Sud Chai Road ... the next bridge down from the famous one. I never noticed what looks like mountains before. We are back there again on the 6th March, I'll have a careful look. Of course Kanch does have a few mountains.

Each morning, about 6:15 we walked out of GTR and down Mae Nam Kwai Road to the 'famous bridge'. Over the bridge and then left down the road that 'Apples' guest house is on and back across the bridge where I took the photo. You come out by 7-11 .... yes plenty of 7-11s but only one at the junction of Sud Chai Rd and Mae Nam Kwai Rd.

You can get some great pics of the sun rising over the river from the bridge ... a lot of people taking selfies with the rising sun in the background.

I really like Kanch ... my wife comes from a village some 20Kms from Muang Kanch ... if Kanch wasn't so hot I like to live there full time. Plenty of golf courses around there as well.

If you actually live in Kanch, call in GTR between 6th and 11th and ask for the guy staying in room 312. Of all the rooms there we prefer that one. I could run to providing you with a Chang.

• Like 2

Good luck. Cheers.

it's unlikely that any girls from kan would talk to a farang let alone take them back to see their parents,

as for the hostesses in mae kwae road (if you can find one) will help you melow for sure, melow into old age then relize you havent done anything

NO, they were working girls from Bangkok who took a vacation. 2 different girls. What are the businesses are on Mae Kwae road? I am a newbie to those parts.

Hi MAZ3,

Win wai.gif

Do you drive there? I think you said they might provide transport. Good Times said 3000B one way from airport. My experience w Thai trains has not been good. Mr T doesn't go there.

Good luck. Cheers.

NO, they were working girls from Bangkok who took a vacation. 2 different girls. What are the businesses are on Mae Kwae road? I am a newbie to those parts.

pm me if you want any information about Mae Kwae road