What is the New Savannakhet Schedule?

Hi,

I plan to go to Savannakhet to get a Non O visa. I will probably fly up on a Sunday night and cross into Lao to submit my application on Monday morning. Does anyone one know what time I will be able to collect my visa the next day (Tues)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, I am thinking of going on March the 15th and like I said I am planning to fly. But if anyone else is going from Bangkok and is interested in sharing transport please let me me know as I would be interested in that as an option. I am thinking of taking the wife just in case I make a mistake with the documents and also because it would be an experience for her (not much of an interesting one I know) but she wants to see what Lao is like so she will probably tag along.

Cheers

Visa applications 09:00 to 11:00. Pickup passport with visa the next afternoon from 14:00 to 16:30.

Be sure you get to the bridge before 18:00 or you may not be able to cross. The Lao visa on arrival office closes then. Sometimes they are open later if the crossing is busy. Opening time in the morning is 08:00.

• Like 1

Quick question, I'm crossing into Savannakhet on Thursday morning early and hope to be at the Thai consulate at 9.00 (as I was last time I was there), but now that I have to stay over night I will be booking a local hotel until collection on Friday. However if I leave my passport in at the consulate and check in later in the day, will a copy of my passport suffice for the hotel?

Thanks for any advice !

thanks for the heads up wink.png …. wow things can change overnight here lol…. any suggestions on decent hotels in Savannaket and also any things to do at night while i stay over…thanks in advance

I normally stay at a guest house, name is Leena GH, around 380 baht a night aircon or none air con 200baht, staff very friendly.

• Like 2

thanks for the heads up wink.png …. wow things can change overnight here lol…. any suggestions on decent hotels in Savannaket and also any things to do at night while i stay over…thanks in advance

Nong Soda -located riverside just at the back of the previous Thai consulate- has always been my place of choice.

Last week, I paid THB400/night for a -basic but clean- room with a/c, hot shower and cable tv.

There are more fancy hotels nowadays around the IT park and the new consulate ; but after sunset, that area is dead and you will struggle to find any transportation if you don't have your own.

• Like 1

I would head down river front near lao immigration & choose a hotel to your liking as huge choice.

Never have been asked for docs for hotel room.

If don't want do or spend much then staying near consulate makes sense.

Coming from bkk I would do vip rioet tour bus as just as quick as flying as more fluid in transition & thus far far simpler & far far cheaper.

• Like 1

I heard a rumor that the Thai embassy in Vientiane is no longer issuing double entry tourist visas.

Anyone else heard about it?

If that was true you would see a topic about it on this forum. As you said a rumor not fact.

• 1 month later...

i am going on 15th also, but i am leaving pattaya on late 21:30 VIP Yellow bus, which i was told at bus station takes 14 hours to mukdahan,
so figured i would just make my way to hotel in savannakhet monday and then get to consulate 9am on Tuesday,
pickup and make my way back then wednesday on night bus, but to bangkok, arriving Thursday morning
anyone know bus times from mukdahan to BKK ?

i have found a few links but travel times vary on the bus company's website

should i book ticket online in advance if possible ? (found 1)

or is it easier to buy my return ticket when i arrive in mukdahan on monday morning ?

i want to get back to BKK, so i can get to british embassy for 8am

Edited by yoboots

Hi,

I plan to go to Savannakhet to get a Non O visa. I will probably fly up on a Sunday night and cross into Lao to submit my application on Monday morning. Does anyone one know what time I will be able to collect my visa the next day (Tues)?

Also, I am thinking of going on March the 15th and like I said I am planning to fly. But if anyone else is going from Bangkok and is interested in sharing transport please let me me know as I would be interested in that as an option. I am thinking of taking the wife just in case I make a mistake with the documents and also because it would be an experience for her (not much of an interesting one I know) but she wants to see what Lao is like so she will probably tag along.

Cheers

Have you went to Savannakhet? I am going tomorrow morning (15/3) from my place and I will reach Mukdahan by around 4-5pm..then I will cross the border to Savannakhet and search for hotel..will summit my application on Monday. If you/anyone interested, we can tag along cause I will be going there alone. Give me a call if you want. My number 0981633228 (Daniel). Edited by DK2223

i am going on 15th also, but i am leaving pattaya on late 21:30 VIP Yellow bus, which i was told at bus station takes 14 hours to mukdahan,

so figured i would just make my way to hotel in savannakhet monday and then get to consulate 9am on Tuesday,

pickup and make my way back then wednesday on night bus, but to bangkok, arriving Thursday morning

or is it easier to buy my return ticket when i arrive in mukdahan on monday morning ?

If I remember right the last bus for BKK is at 8.30pm.

Load of options for buses back to BKK, Saphon roi-et tour vip is very good & costs 633baht, ticket office is far left of ticket booth for savannakhet bus.

No need buy return in advance, I never have, they have vip returns around 7pm 7:30pm & 8pm & get to BKK around 4am-5am, they do earlier buses too but not vip & bit slower. I buy my return once back in Mukadan & even at 4pm plenty of seats been available ... Coffee shop at bus station is a gem & has great toilet facility & wash basin .

Hi,

Cheers

Have you went to Savannakhet? I am going tomorrow morning (15/3) from my place and I will reach Mukdahan by around 4-5pm..then I will cross the border to Savannakhet and search for hotel..will summit my application on Monday. If you/anyone interested, we can tag along cause I will be going there alone. Give me a call if you want. My number 0981633228 (Daniel).

i will get to mukdahan monday morning and then into savannakhet, and i will apply tuesday, i will be staying at daosavanh resort, can meet up for drink or bite to eat if you want

Load of options for buses back to BKK, Saphon roi-et tour vip is very good & costs 633baht, ticket office is far left of ticket booth for savannakhet bus.

No need buy return in advance, I never have, they have vip returns around 7pm 7:30pm & 8pm & get to BKK around 4am-5am, they do earlier buses too but not vip & bit slower. I buy my return once back in Mukadan & even at 4pm plenty of seats been available ... Coffee shop at bus station is a gem & has great toilet facility & wash basin .

thanks for the info thats great news,

and gives me plenty of time when arriving in BKK (maybe too much)

but thats good i will probably book last bus

Hi,

Cheers

Have you went to Savannakhet? I am going tomorrow morning (15/3) from my place and I will reach Mukdahan by around 4-5pm..then I will cross the border to Savannakhet and search for hotel..will summit my application on Monday. If you/anyone interested, we can tag along cause I will be going there alone. Give me a call if you want. My number 0981633228 (Daniel).

i will get to mukdahan monday morning and then into savannakhet, and i will apply tuesday, i will be staying at daosavanh resort, can meet up for drink or bite to eat if you want

I am not sure which hotel I will be staying..mostly I will be staying near the town area.. I let you know if I can..thanks..

Tourist Map and tips For an Enjoyable Stay in Savannakhet

Hopefully attached below is the best tourist map available, it could do a with enlarging a bit, but can be read fairly easily. It shows the "Historic Walk" near to the old Consulate, the river, and Cafe Boon (which on the map is a grey block in the little square at the left hand end of Senna St, around the tour route and Catholic church etc)

The 2 day system is actually a bit more fun and relaxing than the 1 day.

Hotels: Tripadvisor is full of plaintive customers who booked though Agoda etc and were horrified to find sub-standard hotels with unattentive staff, who also took up to an hour to verify the existence of an online booking, if there were any staff there!. The prices seem to have been much higher online than walk-in, which added to people's disappointment, and then they're stuck with their choice. The ones on the map all still exist....Leena is there, but it's not especially rated on tripadvisor, but I guess the good reports are from having English speaking staff. The best thing to do is have a rough look at where they all are on the map and go in person....The Sala Savan near the Catholic church looks interesting and comfy.

Often there will be no one at the desk and just a number to summon staff.... it's all like southern France 40 years ago.

Get yourself a bicycle asap that has no flat tyres etc, and that is perfect for getting around...... Cafe Boon is well-known and a great hang-out..... Also Linn's Cafe, on the tour route, is really nice frenchy-farang place. If you go along the riverfront, the best place with proper cold beers and food and a toilet and proper building is Sala Beer, where you can look over to Muk.... so cheep it's almost free!

Tuk-tuks: Here's a good tip to minimise the annoying advances from tuk-tuk drivers, who will lurk around for hours if they think you will be a fare.... The Muk-Sav international bus goes to the Sav Bus Station, from where you can easily walk to the Consulate ( This isn't on the map, but you can see it on the bus ride in) And don't forget that after you come out with your visa, all those tuk-tuk drivers are only going to take you to the bridge to met the bus, so why not walk to the bus station and get onto it at source?

Savannakhet can be fun and relaxing..... helps if you speak Thai, or even French.

Just a different perspective after so many posts about how boring it is, including from me.

Here's the map, hopefully: post-217127-0-35871100-1426393047_thumb.

• Like 1